Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car theft attempt and write off claim

Options
  • 07-02-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just need your help/suggestion what to do.
    I had Japanese Import car (not new) and theft attempt was made while I parked at train station. Burglers couldn't took away my car but made damage to door glass and around ignition/steering part.

I took my car to nominated Garage of Insurance company (Allianz) who sent repair cost to insurance company who further told me it doesn't worth to bear repair cost and should be written off.
    Luckily my car is still able to drive (no mechanical fault) as I took my car to local garage to fix it temporarily.

Allianz had assessor who offered me money to write off car and want me to return car to salvage company who offered Allianz a bid of 15% of written off money.

Allianz has also offered me to take the car by deducting salvage offer from written off money but I have to get my car re-assessed by Motor engineer (Assess Ireland) which charge me around €185 to 200 who drives the car and issue the certificate of Road worthiness that is compulsory to reapply car insurance on my car and to drive on road.
    Just to let you know I don't have any plan to upgrade my car now and would prefer to stick with current car.

My question: is above process mandatory after you get a claim on car repair cost or can road worthiness certificate be gotten from NCT centre or ordinary garage can issue that? I would really appreciate your suggestion or if you know someone done it with minimum cost involved to get car back on road.

Best regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

You also should factor in the increased cost of insurance for the next 5 years due to having a claim on your record, both with your current insurer and your inability to shop around due to increased or refused premiums with other insurers.

You can just withdraw the claim, pay to fix the damages yourself and continue on the current policy.

Sadly in Ireland not claiming for self-inflicted, malicious damage and damage not claimable off other persons is usually better for you in the long run than claiming unless the award is going to be in the high thousands. Car insurance in Ireland is completely disfunctional, it is little more than a government sanctioned protection racket for the legal industry gravy train and scum personal injury fraudsters they feed off of.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭blueredface

Vic_08 wrote: »
    You also should factor in the increased cost of insurance for the next 5 years due to having a claim on your record, both with your current insurer and your inability to shop around due to increased or refused premiums with other insurers.

You can just withdraw the claim, pay to fix the damages yourself and continue on the current policy.

Sadly in Ireland not claiming for self-inflicted, malicious damage and damage not claimable off other persons is usually better for you in the long run than claiming unless the award is going to be in the high thousands. Car insurance in Ireland is completely disfunctional, it is little more than a government sanctioned protection racket for the legal industry gravy train and scum personal injury fraudsters they feed off of.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have no claim bonus protection on the policy and Allianz told me, it won't affect my no claim bonus and at the same time it won't increase my future premium massively due to I didn't have claim during last 3 years.

Would any of you suggest who has previous similar experience or know anyone has similar experience that NCT would do the Road Worthiness certificate instead of paying to Motor Engineer as my NCT is due in two months Time?
    I can book my NCT 3 months in advance as per NCTS.IE rule.

Thanking you with best regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I have no claim bonus protection on the policy and Allianz told me, it won't affect my no claim bonus and at the same time it won't increase my future premium massively due to I didn't have claim during last 3 years.

Would any of you suggest who has previous similar experience or know anyone has similar experience that NCT would do the Road Worthiness certificate instead of paying to Motor Engineer as my NCT is due in two months Time?
    I can book my NCT 3 months in advance as per NCTS.IE rule.

Thanking you with best regards.

Make absolutely no mistake that should you claim, your premium WILL increase. Perhaps by as much as 100%.

You can then discuss the meaning of the word 'massively' with your insurer if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Make absolutely no mistake that should you claim, your premium WILL increase. Perhaps by as much as 100%.

You can then discuss the meaning of the word 'massively' with your insurer if you wish.

Greatest scam ever! You retain your 80% no claims bonus (but your premium has gone up by 300%)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

"excuse me there fella, watch out for that banana skin in front of you"

"ah no, it's okay. The monkey who threw it there assured me it was one of those non-slip bananas"

Jog on so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Same happened me with my Integra Type R. Parked it in Malahhide Castle and some scrotes tried to rob it, broke both doors. I ended up finding a scrap one and fixed it myself. They wanted to write off the car and my premium would have went through the roof. If you own anything exotic or out of the norm, the insurance disk on the window is literally just an expensive piece of paper....

You can fight it though, getting prices from the likes of done deal and that. The book value of the car and the selling price can be used.

Tefral wrote: »
    Same happened me with my Integra Type R. Parked it in Malahhide Castle and some scrotes tried to rob it, broke both doors. I ended up finding a scrap one and fixed it myself. They wanted to write off the car and my premium would have went through the roof. If you own anything exotic or out of the norm, the insurance disk on the window is literally just an expensive piece of paper....

You can fight it though, getting prices from the likes of done deal and that. The book value of the car and the selling price can be used.

Oh sad to hear, another robber attempt. Is that Jap import? Looks to me they are Joyrider scumbags.
    Thanks for update.

I checked again with insurance company today that how would that affect or how much it would be on my next insurance renewal and was told they can't tell it now until 6 weeks before my renew which is two months away.
    However, they told me, it should not affect my no claim bonus as I had no claim bonus protection and had no claim during last three years.
    But lets see in two weeks time.

The thing is why we have been paying these annual premium when we need them to pay off cost of fix, they put this fear that insurance cost will increase if we claim for an accident where its not our fault e.g. theft attempt.

I'm just waiting for estimate for next renewal of insurance and if it doesn't effect much then I will proceed with claim. I'm fed up of paying insurance premium, paying myself for the fix of accident and can't claim due to fear, premium will increase on next renewal. That's simply frustrating of this way of Motor insurance in the country.
    We have been hearing lots of news for years now that Government will do something to control this high motor insurance cost but nothing has been happening.

Please feel free to comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

However, they told me, it should not affect my no claim bonus as I had no claim bonus protection and had no claim during last three years.

Get that off them in writing if you haven't already, then once you do, if you then have an issue with your no claims bonus come your renewal, hit them with the written confirmation they provided and then get in touch with the Ombudsman whilst raising a severe internal complaint with your insurance company. I used to work in the industry and unless they send you out something in writing phone calls mean diddly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Get that off them in writing if you haven't already, then once you do, if you then have an issue with your no claims bonus come your renewal, hit them with the written confirmation they provided and then get in touch with the Ombudsman whilst raising a severe internal complaint with your insurance company. I used to work in the industry and unless they send you out something in writing phone calls mean diddly.

Again. It will not effect your ncb as you have it covered. It will impact your base premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

OP may or may not have full protection due to the following, no claims protection isn't airtight -
    However, before taking out Full No Claims Bonus Protection it can be worth checking with your insurer for any exceptions or limitations to the protection. For example the protection may only apply where a claim made against you is under a certain financial amount or your protection may be not apply if multiple claims are made against you in a specific time-frame.

OP should scour their insurance docs to see if there are any limitations or exceptions, if none are outlined they need it in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Either way op your premium can jump 10000%. Protected ncb not much use then!

Could any of reader suggest what Car insurance company in the Irish market can get me best/cheaper quote as I have claimed for my car theft attempt cost last week?

I got renewal quote from my current car insurer i.e. Allianz which quoted me almost 15% more than last year but they have excluded the Windscreen cover due to the fact that my windscreen (glass on rear door) was broke twice in January this year and had front windscreen chipped which was replaced last year (so 3 windscreen claim in 1 year). I told them that wasn't happens by purpose but bad luck of theft attempts on my car twice this year but Insurance company didn't listen me and said renewal would be without windscreen cover.

I went to Axa who gave me quote 30% higher than Allianz with Windscreen cover but without "No Claim Bonus Protection" which if I want would have to pay €100 extra.

Please suggest if you can think of or know any other can get me cheaper car insurance.

Advertisement