Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir - Forcing Modem Charges on Home Move

• 07-02-2019 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This is the second time that Eir has forced modem charges on me, and I am finding it impossible to get a refund.

I signed up with Eir broadband in December 2017 and moved Eir with me to my new home in March 2018 (resetting the contract to day 1). I was told to bring my old modem to the new address on the installation day. The engineer installed my existing modem as it was the same model and left the new one at my home. I did request that it was not needed so he could take it with him. He said that he is required to leave the modem at my premises and could not take it back.

Next month, Eir deducted €59.99 from my account as penalty for not returning the modem. Between a few chats and phone calls, and arranging for the modem to be returned, I was told that I had to go to my bank to request a reversal of the transaction.

I did not see a fault of my own in the situation and did try to reason to see if the trip could be avoided. I was made clear that Eir was sorry for situation but this was the policy and I had to do this.

I went to the bank to get my money back.

Fast forward and replay six months later when I had to change home again in August (resetting the contract to day 1).

I requested the engineer multiple times to take the modem back as I did not want to go through the modem charges deduction/refund process. They left the modem again saying it was policy to leave the modem at customer premises. Sure enough:
    • Eir deducted €59.99 in November as modem charges. 
    • I had to arrange for the modem return (January)
    • Was told (January first week) I would be given the refund in 60 days and I should check back after 60 days
    • Was told (January 15) I would be give a refund on February 04
    • Was told (February 06) Eir doesn't owe me anything 
    • Was told that Eir is feeling very sorry for me
    • Was told (Feburary 06) I would be given a refund in 60 days and I should check back after 60 days
    • Was told that Eir was very sorry for the inconvenience caused but it was standard process

What would be my options other than waiting for another 60 days?

I guess the installation engineer shouldn't leave the modem at customer premises if their existing one is the same model.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Giveaway

wsk wrote: »
    This is the second time that Eir has forced modem charges on me, and I am finding it impossible to get a refund.

I signed up with Eir broadband in December 2017 and moved Eir with me to my new home in March 2018 (resetting the contract to day 1). I was told to bring my old modem to the new address on the installation day. The engineer installed my existing modem as it was the same model and left the new one at my home. I did request that it was not needed so he could take it with him. He said that he is required to leave the modem at my premises and could not take it back.

Next month, Eir deducted €59.99 from my account as penalty for not returning the modem. Between a few chats and phone calls, and arranging for the modem to be returned, I was told that I had to go to my bank to request a reversal of the transaction.

I did not see a fault of my own in the situation and did try to reason to see if the trip could be avoided. I was made clear that Eir was sorry for situation but this was the policy and I had to do this.

Fast forward and reply six months later when I had to change home again in August (resetting the contract to day 1).

I requested the engineer multiple times to take the modem back as I did not want to go through the modem charges deduction/refund process. They left the modem again saying it was policy to leave the modem at customer premises. Sure enough:
    • Was told (January first week) I would be given the refund in 60 days and I should check back after 60 days
    • Was told (Feburary 06) I would be given a refund in 60 days and I should check back after 60 days
    • Was told that Eir was very sorry for the inconvenience caused but it was standard process

[*]

I guess the installation engineer shouldn't leave the modem at customer premises if their existing one is the same model.
    [*]
    official complaint email address stating above and requesting a complaint number. give them a few days, if no refund or no complaint number forthcoming lodge a complaint with comreg

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wsk

Thanks I have done that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 eir: Andre

wsk wrote: »

Fast forward and replay six months later when I had to change home again in August (resetting the contract to day 1).

[*]

[*]
    Hi wsk,

I am very sorry to hear of this, I completely understand your frustration. In order for me to assist you, can you please provide the following information in PM:
    1. Account name
    2. Account number
    3. Can you confirm if you're the account holder?
    4. Address 
    5. Date of birth

I'd be happy to look into this for you

-Andre

Advertisement