Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why Irish can't build straight roads

• 07-02-2019 6:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭

There must be some money laundering going on. Is it really that hard to build a straight road. USA can build perfectly straight roads through mountains but we no, no, no, no. Build motorways with a millions of curves so we can charge more for the project.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Pretzeluck wrote: »
    There must be some money laundering going on. Is it really that hard to build a straight road. USA can build perfectly straight roads through mountains but we no, no, no, no. Build motorways with a millions of curves so we can charge more for the project.

Is this meant for after hours forum??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this meant for after hours forum??

We can only wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Iandempsey

don't start me on the roundabouts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

If we were to tunnel through every mountain for the sake of avoiding a few curves the roads would end up costing a lot more

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

We're not Romans?

And you clearly haven't ventured too widely in mountains regions of the states. In any event I prefer twisty roads. Long straight roads bore the shite outa me TBH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I saw a post somewhere the other day regarding a road closure after a rockfall in Colorado, that necessitated a 238mile detour for a journey that is usually 20miles!!!

Whilst the roads in Ireland may not always be the straightest, we do have a very dense road network compared to the states albeit the majority of it are of R standard rather than anything better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Fundamental difference- in Ireland we have buildings first, then roads structured around those buildings.

In the US they build buildings and roads together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭hgfj

Nothing more boring and tiring than driving a straight road for miles and miles. I drove from galway to dublin a few months back on that new motorway. Straight the whole way, very fast and yet I was shattered by the time i got to dublin. I felt like i'd been driving for twelve hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

A few backhanders to avoid a few farms being cut in half,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dead straight roads usually suggest they're very old, as it's not seen as safe anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So you're comparing a country which apart from its immense resources and sheer size and 100 times our population to a small island?
    Can you see a flaw in that?
    All things considered we have a very well developed road system.
    20 years ago and you'd have laughed at the notion of motorways across the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

The only straight roads in Ireland are the ones through bogland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

It's all down to this pc nonsense. We have to have a certain quota of straight roads and gay roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

too many rocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Well if you want to spend hundreds of billions building tunnels through mountains to save a few mins, we'd have blown all the money on totally unnecessary infrastructure.

Normally you build a tunnel if other alternatives are impractical eg you have to get through the Alps and getting around them would mean huge diversions.

Ireland doesn't have any impenetrable mountain ranges or major natural obsticals.

So motorways are generally following more or less the path of least cost and least resistance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭Pretzeluck

Wibbs wrote: »
    We're not Romans?

And you clearly haven't ventured too widely in mountains regions of the states. In any event I prefer twisty roads. Long straight roads bore the shite outa me TBH.

It's more about efficiency than boredom. Do you think roads should be curved so you won't be bored?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Do you think roads should be curved so you won't be bored?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Because roads were built on old tracks which used to have loads of bends because horses used to go faster round bends cause they are nosey and can't wait to see what is around the bend, same reason race courses are round so the horses will go faster

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

hgfj wrote: »
    I drove from galway to dublin a few months back on that new motorway. Straight the whole way, very fast and yet I was shattered by the time i got to dublin. I felt like i'd been driving for twelve hours.

Hmm. Sounds to me you should probably go for a check up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Clareman wrote: »
    Because roads were built on old tracks which used to have loads of bends because horses used to go faster round bends cause they are nosey and can't wait to see what is around the bend, same reason race courses are round so the horses will go faster

Really? I thought it was to do with avoiding fairy bushes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

EdgeCase wrote: »
    Well if you want to spend hundreds of billions building tunnels through mountains to save a few mins, we'd have blown all the money on totally unnecessary infrastructure. Normally you build a tunnel if other alternatives are impractical eg you have to get through the Alps and getting around them would mean huge diversions. Ireland doesn't have any impenetrable mountain ranges or major natural obsticals. So motorways are generally following more or less the path of least cost and least resistance.

Doesn't that add weight to the OP's claim?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

What exactly is the problem though? Can you show roads that you feel have been routed in a manner to push costs over functionality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

The contractors get paid per curve. More curves, more money, happy contractors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

hgfj wrote: »
    Nothing more boring and tiring than driving a straight road for miles and miles. I drove from galway to dublin a few months back on that new motorway. Straight the whole way, very fast and yet I was shattered by the time i got to dublin. I felt like i'd been driving for twelve hours.

Dozed off driving home froim a con in Galway a few weeks back after a long day...

Also managed to miss the M6 turnoff on the way there in the morning through sheer monotony.

Only upshot of a straight road is the view distance. Yoiu can see far enough to know there isn't a hairdryer looking for a high-score for the garda traffic's twitter feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭GMSA

Dartz wrote: »
    Dozed off driving home froim a con in Galway a few weeks back after a long day...

Also managed to miss the M6 turnoff on the way there in the morning through sheer monotony.

Only upshot of a straight road is the view distance. Yoiu can see far enough to know there isn't a hairdryer looking for a high-score for the garda traffic's twitter feed.

The only problem on the road there is you.
    Take a nap and a coffee, pay attention, and don't be speeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

It's more about efficiency than boredom. Do you think roads should be curved so you won't be bored?

It is a safety thing.

In road design you do not allow drivers constantly see the horizon.

Proven encourages speeding and also sleeping

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Easier to drive bendy roads after a few pints. Try walking straight and it’s impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

GMSA wrote: »
    The only problem on the road there is you.
    Take a nap and a coffee, pay attention, and don't be speeding.

Therein lies the other problem

****ing where.

Services are well spaced.

• Advertisement

Those long straight roads on maps actually need occasional kinks or curves to correct for the curve of the earth.

Our roads are not straight because as was said above there have been people living here for so long that there is a lot of stuff to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭9935452

Wibbs wrote: »
    In any event I prefer twisty roads. Long straight roads bore the shite outa me TBH.

An interesting fact .

The americans built long straight roads and people were bored, fell asleep and had accidents as a result.

When the germans were building the autobahns the took in this information and built their roads with slight bends to help keep the drivers alert and awake.

AFAIK they have a lower accident /death rate on their roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

9935452 wrote: »
    An interesting fact .

The americans built long straight roads and people were bored, fell asleep and had accidents as a result.

When the germans were building the autobahns the took in this information and built their roads with slight bends to help keep the drivers alert and awake.

AFAIK they have a lower accident /death rate on their roads

I don't think its an urban myth but was there not a deliberate requirement in the US during WWII to building highways with certain straights so that they could be used as emergency landing runways for planes during times of war? Anyone else come across this?

Re the reason why we don't build perfectly straight roads there are conservation reasons why you can't just build roads where ever you like. Safety as well is an issue as already mentioned by a few....nothing to do with lining the pockets of contractors.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    I don't think its an urban myth but was there not a deliberate requirement in the US during WWII to building highways with certain straights so that they could be used as emergency landing runways for planes during times of war? Anyone else come across this?

[...]

Not only in the US. I know the place in my home country, where one stretch of the road is built for that very purpose. Additionally, it had entire necessary infrastructure hidden in nearby forest, all of above frequently used for training, now this one is no longer in use (apart from being just a DC).

Obviously there are more than one like that, and most of them are no officially known for "top secret" reasons. ;)

However, it only needs approx 3 km of straight road, not really much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Hopefully in 20yrs it won't matter. You'll get where you going in the time it takes a fill a kettle and boil it.

kBTu1xl.png

Elevated over towns, fields or snow thanks to the aul hyperloops. Curves won't matter to the autopilot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I've driven a fair bit in the States. Their interstates have curves going through mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I know in the past roads were built around private estates and other private land. New roads however I have no idea. Any new road I've come across like the M6 have been pretty much straight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

it's because Irish roads have a history from before long distance travel. Basically Market towns tend to be 14 miles apart or so because the furthest practical distance to walk or drive stock was 7 miles. Thus the roads are really a cobbling together of short more or less straight sections, which results on a lot of kinks over a long distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

uKIaqB9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭BnB

The only straight roads in Ireland are the ones through bogland.

That's true. It is easier to make straight roads through land that no-one is using like bogs (in Ireland) or deserts (in the US) because of a lack of population.

If you look at the Motorway from Ennis to Galway there are a few fairly decent straight stretches as it is going through patches of fairly poor land that is sparsely populated. But on the other hand if you look at the M7 from Limerick to Dublin it goes through decent land and hence has to weave it's way through fairly densely populated areas avoiding villages and as much houses as possible to keep the original cost of land acquisition for the road down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

You do realise that earth isn't flat, right ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was once in a minibus with an American colleague after a work night out, on back roads in Co. Clare. Fed up with being bounced around in her seat, she asked why they didn't just straighten the road, not thinking about the absolutely massive undertaking that would be for minimal gain, the huge disruption it would cause to all the that needed access to it, or the historic reasons as to why it was built on the route it took.

It kind of reminded me of a post I saw on here many years ago where someone (seemingly seriously) suggested that all roads in the country should be made into dual carriageways (for safety reasons).

I've also heard 2 seperate American colleagues question why Bunratty Castle was built so close to the dual carriageway. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

In australia like america many roads are straight. There are many road deaths as a result of these straight roads. The main cause is fatigue. When driving long distance on a dead straight road its very easy to nod off and die. I think its better to have cuves in the road maybe not sharp bends like some secondary roads here. They are pretty dangerous.Ireland is obviously much older than the US.
    The miltary road in wicklow is a good example of a dangerous road. It was built originally by the brittish in the late 17 hundreds to catch the rebels hiding out in the wicklow hills and country side. It surely must be one of the most dangerous roads in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

We built newgrange etc thousands of years before the pyramids were built, problem with road building in Ireland is we've beautiful valleys,rivers,and mountains - so who needs straight roads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Where the terrain and built environment dictate, the Americans build roads far more twisty and windey than anything in the Irish motorway network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

[PHP][/PHP]

I thought Paddy built EVERYTHING, roads, bridges, subways, railways...or was that the Chinese...then again, that wall they built is anything but straight !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

We built newgrange etc thousands of years before the pyramids were built, problem with road building in Ireland is we've beautiful valleys,rivers,and mountains - so who needs straight roads?

strictly speaking, WE didn't build them, a pre-Irish civilisation did.

Isambard wrote: »

Strictly speaking descendants of ours did,,,,or did they just leaveðŸ˜

Isambard wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Strictly speaking our descendants haven't been born yet !

Advertisement