Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The why do I want to change jobs question?

Options
  • 07-02-2019 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been doing a part time course and I have been looking for work.

The truth is I'm the scapegoat in work. I have been treated horribly and the pay is crap. On paper it's a good job but it's anything but. The manager even told me I had a silly old job.

The jobs from the course I'm doing however is probably considered boring. But pay is good and companies look after you. While it may be considered boring it's something I would like to do.

So how do I answer a question about changing jobs. From a job that seems interesting to a boring job.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

When I'm asked why I'm looking to change jobs, I always say 'Oh no, I wasn't looking to change jobs - but I saw this job advertised and it just seemed like such a great opportunity I just had to apply'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Id just go on about how things can get repetitive and you are up for a new challenge.

Generally they dont really care its just to make sure ya dont say anything too outta the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

“Who wouldn’t want to work here, it’s such a great company and I’d love the opportunity to be part of the team here “

“I feel it’s time for a new challenge in my life and this position would allow me that”

“There’s no further career progression in my current role and I’m looking for a new path for my career to follow”

Having interviewed for a long time it’s kever a question I’d ask, but honestly that you can make some comprehensive answer is important not the content. Sometimes it’s how you deal with odd ball questions rather than sitting mumbling to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Silverfish wrote: »
    When I'm asked why I'm looking to change jobs, I always say 'Oh no, I wasn't looking to change jobs - but I saw this job advertised and it just seemed like such a great opportunity I just had to apply'

That's a brilliant answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

iopiop wrote: »
    ...But pay is good and companies look after you

These both sound like very valid reasons to me, and I would take either answer as a very valid reason for moving, when interviewing. People can sometimes be slow to openly acknowledge that the money is a big reason in wanting a move.

One thing I would advise though, whatever you do, do not bring across the message that you think that you could find the new role boring compared to your current one. One of the key questions being asked during interview is 'Will this person be happy here and likely to stay with us for a reasonable length of time'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Silverfish wrote: »

Excellent answer.
    Alternatively you’ve answered it with your first sentence here. You’re doing a course, you’ve really enjoyed it and would like a new challenge related to that course

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Do a search on google news, see if you can pick up on any recent positive news about the company that you can use...acquisitions, product developments, new research, new senior hires etc...

"I saw that you recently launched a new platform/service/product/software etc that really excites me and I feel I could not only learn and develop from working with you but also feel I can contribute positively to the ongoing development of said platform/service/product/software going forward,its a challenge I would really enjoy and benefit from!

It shows you have researched the company and you're not giving a stock answer like everyone else!

Advertisement