Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bogus Charity Collectors in Lidl Terenure

Options
  • 07-02-2019 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I was in the Lidl at the cross in Terenure today and sure enough there was a man i'd seen before collecting inside the building at the end of the escalators for 'The Merchants Quay Foundation'. He had a plain portable wooden table and an amateurish black and white sign printed on a sheet of A4 paper stuck to a plastic container. I had seen him there a fortnight ago when i'd been a little surprised to see him pick up his table and run out the door in the blink of an eye. Anyway, I rang the actual Merchants Quay just to be sure and sure enough they don't have collectors nor is that their actual corporate name. There is no such organisation as 'The Merchants Quay Foundation' on the charity regulators website. He was absolutely brazen to talk to. Just absolutely amazing how many people gave him money while i was there too.
    I called the Gardai after i had checked him out but they didn't get there in time. Can someone call them if he appears again? He seems to be a regular there. Watch out for a tall chap who is follicly challenged....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Lidls seem to be a magnet for these guys. 3 near me north side and regularly some fella collecting for some "charity" with his little table & amateur signage outside pine of them. Soup kitchens, homelessness or drugs seems to be they're theme. Have never seen a well known charity collect outside a lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

May be an idea to contact Lidl - they'll be able to phone the guards then if he's seen outside again.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 nigra

So i actually did try and call the manager in Lidl at the time, i figured it was the least i could do as i had called the Gardai to the place . The Lidl website doesn't give the phone numbers of individual stores, just one freephone number. When i called it the lady on the end of the line said it wasn't their policy to give out the phone number of stores either. She listened to the story, took my mobile number and said she'd pass on the message. Nothing heard since. Which was kind of rich considering the scammer was collecting INSIDE their supermarket.

Any legal heads out there willing to give me some free advice as to where i'd stand if i tried a citizen's arrest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

nigra wrote: »
    Any legal heads out there willing to give me some free advice as to where i'd stand if i tried a citizen's arrest?

I would not go down that road considering there is a station so close by

https://www.newstalk.com/news/can-you-actually-make-a-citizens-arrest-in-ireland-539626

Advertisement