Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion to Executive Officer

Options
  • 07-02-2019 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I got promoted to the position of Executive Officer last summer. I ranked very highly on an internal panel and have never had any problems at work before. The promotion was going well until recently (about six months in). I have another five months to go on the probationary period now and the job has just become hell. There was a reshuffle of work in the section I work in just a few weeks ago and I seem to now be essentially a Personal Assistant to the PO and AP. I don't get a chance to do any other work that I am meant to be doing. My days involve dealing with random query after random query from the PO and AP. I didn't think that was an EO's job. I generally have to ring around and try and find answers to their questions for them. It's just not for me. I cannot stand working like this. I don't know anyone else in the Department whose job is like this. I guess I want to know how would you go about seeking a transfer to a different section/what reason would you give to look for a transfer elsewhere. I guess I should try and get the probationary period done first. I don't think I will ever apply for promotion again. Should I just try grin and bear this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

That actually sounds like great experience re getting promoted again.

I don't see anything wrong with an eo doing that job.

But if you want out, finish the probation and request a transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lagunasecastig

I worked as a PA whilst a CO and never complained!

It would be worse if you'd been stuck in some mindless repetitive role and never had any interaction with your line managers. Use it as a way to broaden your repertoire of skills. If you're doing all of their work, you're a model to be promoted once a competition comes up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

What does your HEO do?

Im a CO and if the AP or PO asks me to do something I have to prioritise it!

Can you chat with your HEO and see if your other duties can passed down to the CO's on your team?

CO, EO, HEO all have to answer to the powers that be so yes essentially it is your job.

Stick out probation anyway, most places wont let you transfer on probation anyway and maybe have a look at an internal transfer within your department to a different team/section and hopefully it will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Allycats36

id say you would have a handier number if you transfer after the 2 years is up. i get where you are coming from i hate to be a PA to the AP and PO. How are you getting on now?

• Advertisement
Advertisement