Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC booting but no signal to monitor!

Options
  • 07-02-2019 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

So I was playing a game earlier,
    GPU overclocked with MSI afterburner. Settings I have always used for months and haven't had issues with yet.

Suddenly my screen goes black and all my fans go too 100% speed. I power off my PC. Few seconds later I power back on. Everything has power. CPU fans, GPU fans/LEDs, case fans/leds but my monitor is not picking up a signal.

Ive reattached all cables, removed all components, switch ram sloths, reset cmos, power drain but no change.

I cant plug HDMI into MoBo as my ryzen 2600 doesn't have onboard graphics.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

can you try it on your telly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Failing monitor should not make PC/GPU fans to go mad.
    Do you have anything on screen, like "no input/signal" ?
    Is there other connection available(VGA, DVI, etc)

Either test other GPU on this PC or current GPU on different PC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I have tested HDMI and dvi on my monitor, same result. I don't have a TV or another monitor to test right now but I'll borrow one tomorrow, thank you for the tip.

Edit: so just to clarify, I had my GPU (RX 480) over clocked with MSI after burner. On the same stable settings I have been using for 6+ months. I launched a game and about 5 minutes in my screen went totally black, fans all went to 100% until I powered off the system. It does say no signal on the monitor but my thoughts are if its just the monitor, shouldn't I hear the sound of windows starting on my speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Do you have stand-alone speakers connected over 3.5 jack(s)(other) or is it build-in to monitor?

HDMI and DP are carrying sound along video and in event of GPU failure might not work either.

Standalone logitech speakers with sub connected to the motherboard with 3.5mm jack.

I'm now sure its not the monitor. I had forgotten about a raspberry pi I had lying around and plugged that into my monitor with HDMI and it worked fine.

One concern I do have is my msi b450 motherboard has an "ez debug LED" system which indicates problems with drives, GPU, ram and CPU and has been a lifesaver in the past. If it was a dead GPU, I would assume the ez debug would tell me? As its indicated faulty RAM to me before.

But according to the manual and posts on MSI forums my LED flash sequence indicate everything is fine. But people have said on these forums their motherboard was faulty.

My next course of action I think to distinguish if the its the motherboard or GPU that's died is to fish out my old am3 gigabyte board and fx8350 and test the GPU with those. If it works I will have to get a new motherboard.

Will I need RAM to test this? I sold my ddr3. I'm sure I could borrow some if need be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yes, you will need one ram stick to get a system to post.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you sure that EZ Debug LED thing can actually detect faults in dedicated GPUs (i.e. video cards)?

Says so in the manual but I wouldn't say I'm sure. Just bought a gtx 760 in CEX for 60 euro. No change..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I can guess what happened.

killanena has RX480 which is known to draw more than spec from PCIE slot.
    killanena has basic enough board.
    killanena OC's his 480 drawing more than more than spec.
    Board gives up the ghost.

The slot limit is 75W. Ref 480s exceed that and have been tested to commonly hit 150W. Push that to 180 and its like sending your board to a CIA black site for interrogation.

Interesting, if that's the case I'm surprised its lasted a few months of daily use and at least 4 hours of gaming daily.

Amazon are issuing me a replacement board which should arrive teusdsy but just to make sure I am going to put together a test bench with my old parts as mentioned above if I get my hands on some ddr3 just to confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

All you need is a single stick of DDR3 even 1GB or less you can pick them up for €1 in CEX.

https://ie.webuy.com/search?stext=1GB%20DDR3

I got my hands on some, just tested there and exact issue. I'm baffled now to be honest. Faulty PSU?

I noticed that my fx 8350 was getting very hot. And its cooler would spin on and off but not particularly fast.

So all you have is a old FX and board while using the same PSU on both systems. So GPU 1(Rx) in both systems same issue. GPU 2 in both systems same issue. If so sounds like a PSU issue. Surely someone you knows has a PSU you could borrow? Just to test.

Sadly no. Only 1 friend who would have one who is away at the moment. I got the ram in CEX too.

killanena wrote: »
    Sadly no. Only 1 friend who would have one who is away at the moment. I got the ram in CEX too.

Do you have two GPU's like I said above and with both GPU's in both systems same symptoms?

Where are you based someone on here may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

when you say all fans went to 100% do you mean just gpu fans or entire system like cpu/PSU ?

i had times after cleaning my pc where id boot up just to have gpu going 100 full throttle on fans.Until id refit pins back properly.

That said if your mobo powers up doubt its PSU, maybe some component got fried on the motherboard most likely, happened with few asus over the years for me.

as you mention system power up with all the leds, thus id rule out PSU failure, you managed to get connected raspi to monitor and that worked so the screen is fine.

did you try different power pins for the GPU, as most PSU's come with few spare ones, as my old has 4 sets of 6 pin, even thou only two 4 pins ones are needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

Have you checked your tcp/ip settings ?

Do you have two GPU's like I said above and with both GPU's in both systems same symptoms?

Where are you based someone on here may be able to help.

Yes, both systems failed with both gpu's, using the same power supply. Its a corsir modular 600watt that's nearly 5 years old.

Ennis, Co. Clare.

scamalert wrote:
    when you say all fans went to 100% do you mean just gpu fans or entire system like cpu/PSU ?

scamalert wrote:
    i had times after cleaning my pc where id boot up just to have gpu going 100 full throttle on fans.Until id refit pins back properly.

scamalert wrote:
    That said if your mobo powers up doubt its PSU, maybe some component got fried on the motherboard most likely, happened with few asus over the years for me.

scamalert wrote:
    as you mention system power up with all the leds, thus id rule out PSU failure, you managed to get connected raspi to monitor and that worked so the screen is fine.

scamalert wrote:
    did you try different power pins for the GPU, as most PSU's come with few spare ones, as my old has 4 sets of 6 pin, even thou only two 4 pins ones are needed.

All fans, GPU, CPU, Case front and rear, it was very noisy.

I'm having the same issue with 2 different gpu's in 2 different builds but both using the sane PSU.

I have tried using spare power connectors for my gpu's that came with my PSU.

TCP/ip settings perhaps ?

• Advertisement

s8n wrote:
    Have you checked your tcp/ip settings ?

What would that have to do with failing POST? I don't mean that in a rude way.

If the flux capacitor isn’t getting enough RAM then it will fail POST. Will barely get past BIOS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

piss taker ^ .

well since you mentioned system going full throttle psu could be the culprit, thou that said if it powers up, my bet would be on mobo being faulty, eitherway once you get one or another replaced and checked you will know for sure.

I guess that's true. Will just have to wait for now, if new MoBo fails on Teusdsy I'll have to order a new PSU. If this is the case, should I go for a high watt power supply? Gold standard of course.

It was indeed the motherboard :) working perfectly now though I think I won't be overclocking my GPU on this board again lol.

Big thank you to all who helped :)

told you !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

killanena wrote: »
    It was indeed the motherboard :) working perfectly now though I think I won't be overclocking my GPU on this board again lol.

Big thank you to all who helped :)

TBH the motherboard shouldn't be affected by GPU overclocking - only PSU (since all GPU can do is draw the per-spec 75W from PCI-e slot).

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    TBH the motherboard shouldn't be affected by GPU overclocking - only PSU (since all GPU can do is draw the per-spec 75W from PCI-e slot).

Well it's working now sense I replaced the motherboard 8 days ago :P

s8n wrote:
    told you !!

Yes you did sir! Hit the nail on the head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,976 ✭✭✭Cordell

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The spec is not enforced by the MB, if I'm not mistaken the PCIe slot is just wired to the 12V rail and any overload will heat up the PCB traces and slot contacts and eventually something will give.

Advertisement