Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passport Photos

Options
  • 08-02-2019 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Sounds like a silly question, but here goes.

I'm looking for a place to get a PP photo taken. When I lived in London, it was just a case of nipping to a photo booth, but you don't really see them any more. Either that or I've been walking round with my eyes shut! :D

Does anyone know where there is one or recommend someone/somewhere?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,370 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sounds like a silly question, but here goes.

I'm looking for a place to get a PP photo taken. When I lived in London, it was just a case of nipping to a photo booth, but you don't really see them any more. Either that or I've been walking round with my eyes shut! :D

Does anyone know where there is one or recommend someone/somewhere?

TIA :)

Every chemist everywhere has a camera and a pull down white screen for background.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Thanks. I did not know about the chemists...There's a few in London but not many.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If it’s for passport renewal you can do it online using photos taking in your phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭normakelle

photo me booths. There is one in tesco wilton shopping centre, gpo oliver plunket st, passport office. you get a code with 4 pictures for 8 euro. You use the code for online passport renewal or else use the pictures in the traditional way of applying. Hope that helps. Google photo me and will tell you the locations in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Brian_Graham

Has anyone managed to take a photo at home? Wasted an hour trying to upload one, tried loads of times, just keep getting unhelpful error messages (face too close / far from camera, too dark or light). Photos look fine to me, except maybe for some very slight shadows on the background, which are very difficult to get rid of entirely when taking photos at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Has anyone managed to take a photo at home? Wasted an hour trying to upload one, tried loads of times, just keep getting unhelpful error messages (face too close / far from camera, too dark or light). Photos look fine to me, except maybe for some very slight shadows on the background, which are very difficult to get rid of entirely when taking photos at home.

I did mine in the office against the wall, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I went to the photographer in Wilton S. C. and they emailed the photo to me the same day which I simply uploaded to the online renewal and had my passport 2 days later. Great service all round.

Gave a couple of last tries this morning, eventually tried using the flash on the camera, and bingo. The flash resulted in a slight shadow behind my head, I thought the earlier ones were clearer, but whatevah, it worked, happy camper.

ted1 wrote: »
    If it’s for passport renewal you can do it online using photos taking in your phone

I would recommend this to everyone. I did it and had my passport posted to me within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

As others have said, online however if you want somewhere to go then Barrys on Pembroke St (next to Imperial Hotel/Crane Lane) are the go too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I did it. Camera, tripod, white wall. Took a goodly few attempts but 30 minutes work and €10 in photo costs saved.

Curious to know did you use the flash / torch, Chris_5339762? Using the flash seems to be what made it work for me. It would be helpful if the guidelines pointed you in that direction. They actually state "There must not be any shadows on your face or behind your head" which gives the impression you should not use the flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I think it can be difficult to take an acceptable picture with a phone camera. You need a lot of light to get enough detail, while at the same time avoiding shadows. I took one using a real camera and tripod, but was only able to avoid shadows by pointing the flash upwards to the ceiling - you don't have that option with a phone (or cheaper cameras with fixed flash).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

I did mine at home, I used a new phone I got Mi9T and took a selfie.

Uploaded it at 5:30 on a Tuesday evening and had my passport Thursday morning.

I couldn't believe how fast it went through

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Vinta81 wrote: »
    As others have said, online however if you want somewhere to go then Barrys on Pembroke St (next to Imperial Hotel/Crane Lane) are the go too!

I used Barry's in Wilton, my son has non-verbal ASD (he's 3) so photos are quite tricky. They were brilliant in getting the photos, not cheap though..

For my own last renewal I used my camera at home, cream wall and flash on which seemed to get rid of shadows. Had passport in like a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Curious to know did you use the flash / torch, Chris_5339762? Using the flash seems to be what made it work for me. It would be helpful if the guidelines pointed you in that direction. They actually state "There must not be any shadows on your face or behind your head" which gives the impression you should not use the flash.

I have a DSLR and as far as I can remember I just used a relatively high ISO and a low f-stop, lets the max light into the camera and makes it as sensitive as possible. No need for flash which will cause glasses reflections and shadows. I did have an issue getting reflections from the window off my glasses but I think I only took about 10 or 12 photos before I was happy with one. And they accepted it first time which was nice.

Just experiment and don't be embarassed by taking photos of yourself with neutral, odd, expressions :D

Advertisement