Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money transfer

Options
  • 08-02-2019 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering what's the best way (and cheapest) of transferring money from an Irish Bank account to a Canadian one?

I have revolut but wondering if there's anything better out there as I have a few grand to transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering what's the best way (and cheapest) of transferring money from an Irish Bank account to a Canadian one?

I have revolut but wondering if there's anything better out there as I have a few grand to transfer?

Loads of services out there! Transfer wise, transfergo, money mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

What's your issue with doing it via revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

What's your issue with doing it via revolut?

They charge if you go over 5k a month just wondering if there's something out there that doesn't charge or has an even lower rate. The REVOLUT one isn't high I don't think but no point in using it if theres something better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

aaabbbb wrote: »
    They charge if you go over 5k a month just wondering if there's something out there that doesn't charge or has an even lower rate. The REVOLUT one isn't high I don't think but no point in using it if theres something better out there.

If you transfer over 6k per month they will charge you. 0.5% which is nothing. So you'd pay €100 on a €20,000 transaction which again is nothing and you get the interbank rate for the transfer which is pretty much unheard in traditional banks and has only become a recent offering with all the online operations. After a lot of research I use TransferWise as well as revolut for my international transfers and I've found revolut to be the cheapest but it takes a little longer so I use it when I'm not worried about exchange rate fluctuations but I use TransferWise for larger sums when I'm not willing to take the risk on the exchange rate dropping. TransferWise have a calculator you can use that will show how much you will actually receive into your account for a given transaction before you do it which is quite handy. They charge a small fee of a couple of euro per transaction and I think it's 0.6% of the total amount. If there is better than those two I haven't found it and I'll be keeping a keen eye on this thread to see if there is a cheaper way.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I used CurrencyFair to send about 10K total over 3-4 transactions and used Revolut to send a few grand no problem with either and CF took less than 24hrs to receive the money.

Not sure if I didn't notice the fee or it's not there with CurrencyFair but when I received money via revolut to my Canadian bank, they treated it as a wire transfer and slapped a hefty charge of $15 dollars.

• Advertisement
Advertisement