Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Discovery 2x04 - "An Obol for Charon" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options
  • 08-02-2019 3:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Seems like a far more TOS/TNG style encapsulated story.

It also seems a cheaper than usual episode as a result.

And 4 episodes into the season, and the main story isn't advancing either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭liamtech

mixed bag with this one - im a pro-discovery guy but this was very average to me - maybe im alone but the Tilly/Spore/Lifeform plot is not engaging me at all this season

It did feel like a 'Single story' as opposed to being connected to the arc - kinda like those episodes in Enterprises 3rd season where they went off the Xindi arc for a 'single' story and merely mentioned the xindi at the beginning and the end - it was BETTER than those ENT episodes though

The bit where they started singing did get me a bit - have to admit that, perhaps its cause i recently broke up with someone, but it was emotional - kinda like O Brien and Cpt Maxwell on board the Pheonix singing the minstrel boy -

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I liked the first two, and I saw the utility in the third, but this one just prolongs the season needlessly.

There's some nice touches hidden in the details i.e. the drill sequence mimics the real practice of having brain surgery patients sing or perform similar tasks to indicate problems. Or the way they studiously avoid giving Number One a name, just as with Roddenberrys original script. And Saru's description of his time as a refugee seems to parallel the US's current immigration issues.

But two thirds of the episode, the main blob storyline, seems like filler.

And next weeks episode
    doesn't advance the main story either, and is Tilly centric

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Spear wrote: »
    I liked the first two, and I saw the utility in the third, but this one just prolongs the season needlessly.

There's some nice touches hidden in the details i.e. the drill sequence mimics the real practice of having brain surgery patients sing or perform similar tasks to indicate problems. Or the way they studiously avoid giving Number One a name, just as with Roddenberrys original script. And Saru's description of his time as a refugee seems to parallel the US's current immigration issues.

But two thirds of the episode, the main blob storyline, seems like filler.

And next weeks episode
    doesn't advance the main story either, and is Tilly centric

I don’t see the Tilly stuff as filler at all. They are clearly explaining why Starfleet aren’t using the Spore drive in other series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I don’t see the Tilly stuff as filler at all. They are clearly explaining why Starfleet aren’t using the Spore drive in other series.

No, nor do I, that's the only part that's advancing at all. By the blob I meant the larger one, not the spore derived one.

Omg saru
    Omg tilly
    What's gonna happen!!!

I don't think i fully got the story with saru
    Do they just all happen to kill themselves before the ganglia would have fallen out naturally?

Ps i looove jett reno

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

bluewolf wrote: »
    Omg saru
    Omg tilly
    What's gonna happen!!!

Do they just all happen to kill themselves before the ganglia would have fallen out naturally?

Ps i looove jett reno

They are clearly caught up in something that is manufactured and they are being preyed upon culturally, mentally and physically. I think the idea that if they don’t kill themselves when their ganglia protrude, they’ll suffer a worse fate has been wrongfully conditioned into them by by the other species. A species that may actually be travelling there or are at least very advanced. It looks like their ganglia falling off might be their species reaching maturity and that they are being denied that.

Oooh reaching maturity. Okay cool i am with it now

bluewolf wrote: »
    Omg saru
    Omg tilly
    What's gonna happen!!!

Ps i looove jett reno

You should check out the Short Trek about Saru.
    A species called the Ba'Huul (or something like that) is much more technologically advanced and preys upon them, to the point where it's institutionalised as their religion. Groups of Kelpians gather when they enter that state at beacons are are transported away. What becomes of them isn't revealed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A lot of good stuff in this episode. Really liked Tig Notaro's character and her interactions with Stamets. I didn't think the Saru storyline really worked though. Felt tacked on and heavy-handed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That was my favourite yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

So a whole race of people have been killing themselves for no reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Really enjoyed that! Good Star Trek!

Was sort of hoping before the end that Saru would be gone :-/. Honestly I wouldn't miss him too much – his species seems daft, and it would allow Burnham to move up to the second-in-command position she acts like she's in anyway. Although looks like they're going to mess with his character a bit at least.

The two main stories, the dying sphere and the spore thingy, were great. Felt like proper Star Trek – with a movie budget and an adult sensibility at times.

Lots of good character stuff throughout.

And they're dragging out the season's big story arc (The Search for Spock Jr.) and I'm not at all bothered. Nice to have these little adventures.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think that translator breakdown on the bridge was my favourite scene in Discovery so far, great fun and very on point - original to boot; I don't remember Trek ever doing anything with the translator before. Plus allowed Saru to demonstrate his abilities (while admonishing others for their lack of multilingualism)

A bit overstuffed again but more organic this time by dint of it all happening on the ship. Another Trek staple - cosmic thing breaks the ship - but nicely melded with the characters of Saru and Burnham.

I hear the complaints about Spock, but honestly there was enough going with the A plot, Saru and Tilly to kinda make the Search for Spock a distraction.

"Jet Reno" though, what a name. Tig Notaro sparring with Stamets reminds that a little friendly spikiness between the crew would be nice (though again, props for involving them in scenes once more, the ready room scene was a good piece of texture)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Felt like an inbetween episode.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    So a whole race of people have been killing themselves for no reason?

Food?

Slydice wrote: »
    Felt like an inbetween episode.

Then I'm happy for many more in between episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Can we expect Saru to get cocky now? I'm sure we'll see what's happening the Kelpians at some point in the future.

As much as I like Tilly's taste in music, I always find it funny when centuries into the future there doesn't seem to have been any recent Earth songs. Though was it this or Enterprise or maybe something else that previously referred to 20th century music like The Beatles as classical? Found it funny when they did.

Nice callback to the first episode of the season with Linus having the cold.

I'm half expecting him to liberate the Kelpians

Maybe they'll start looking like another race we're used to seeing in the series set further on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Then I'm happy for many more in between episodes

Yes. Most previous trek seasons were all in between episodes.

good episode. The dying sphere was proper old school Trek. The Spock arc I can take or leave though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Maybe they'll start looking like another race we're used to seeing in the series set further on.

I'd actually watch this as a series in it's own right. Saru is one of my favourites and a story arc / mini series focused around the fight to free his people could make for some very good television (if done right).

Although there's talk of spinning off other Trek shows such as S31 and some kind of animated "Lower Decks" show...I'd much rather see them following Saru off on his quest.

They could of course do this in the main Discovery show too...but that seems to be mostly about the Search for Spock right now.

Some things I liked about the episode:

Number One: They cast her pretty well. Has a similar feel as Majel Barrett's take on the character.

Tilly: They toned her down a notch in this episode. I appreciate that.

Jett: She's growing one me, I'd much prefer her as Chief Engineer on this show.

Things I didn't like:

Stametts: I know he's supposed to off balance a bit due to spores and the death of Dr. Boyfriend. But while he was an interesting character in S1, in this season there's something very *off* about him or the way he is being acted. He just keeps pressing my "creepy" sense. Feels like it is time to retire this character and swap him with Jett.

The Score: There was something noticeably wrong with the pacing of the music and of the scenes it was attached to. Some low-tempo scenes were being bombed out with high-tempo action music and it really distracted from the moment a few times. I've noticed this on other shows too and I'd really wish TV producers would pay better attention to the score. This never seemed to be a problem back in the 90's.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I have been doing a bit of a late 80/90s throwback and, while there was a good score, christ but it was too loud.

Nice quiet scene needing some soft music?
    Director: Let's ramp up the orchestral volume to 11 there please...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Pretty good. Pretty classic Trek. Felt like it was setting up many storylines:
    • Huge database of new knowledge
    • Tilly cocoon
    • Saru's new mission

Liked
    • Number One. I know she was only in it very briefly but pretty cool. Would imagine that we should see more of her given that she is a reasonably high-profile actor.
    • The Saurian character. (Can't remember his name).
    • Some of the new engineer banter ("Weird dream: I was a drummer for Prince")
    • Saru's resolve at the end. I wonder is this going to be a new Saru. Are we gonna find out that his people were culled immediately prior to losing their ganglia because they were some crazy/crazy-powerful species post ganglia-loss. (He certainly seemed to be more confident/aggressive in sickbay at the end)
    • Nice little funny/cop-out (Depending on your POV) explanation on the lack of holograms on Enterprise.

Didn't Like/Meh
    • Some of the new engineer banter. Really like the character but dial her back juuuust a bit. De-Poochy-ify her about 5% :)
    • Why did May (Mei?) Suddenly become Jamaican when speaking through Tilly?
    • The whole Tilly/Spore/cocoon thing was a bit rushed.
    • The closeup of navigation and tactical consoles. I get it, they wanted it to be a bit more of a current aesthetic but they over-did it. I mean it was practically "Press here for shields" and "Go-faster-now button"

I think we will be seeing "Previously on Discovery" flashbacks to this episode for seasons to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

May had that Caribbean accent, (I've seen it referred to as from Trinidad) in the last episode. Can't say I noticed it in the younger version, must watch back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Liked
    • Nice little funny/cop-out (Depending on your POV) explanation on the lack of holograms on Enterprise.

I liked it, might be a quibble for some over canon backpedaling (and I was one who defended holograms presence in an ostensible prequel), but at least it felt like an emotional retcon rather than a blank "we're doing this and will never speak of it again." I mean, Pike's kinda right, it is like talking to ghosts when you think about it.

Re. Tilly's accent, they layered the voice of Mae, speaking the same lines, over that of Tilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

This and the previous episode was brilliant. Really enjoying it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

A lot of good stuff in this episode. Really liked Tig Notaro's character and her interactions with Stamets. I didn't think the Saru storyline really worked though. Felt tacked on and heavy-handed.

Yeh I thought it was a bit overwrought. I get that they had been crewmates for something like 7 years on the Shenzhou and now Discovery but we've only been privy to a very small amount of that, as such I feel they played this card a little too early in the series. It also doesn't help that Sonequa Martin-Green tends to play things over earnestly whether it's a personal log or a scene like this .

All that being said the story line does open up some fascinating future stories possibilities, so it might just have been worth playing the card a little early in order to explore them.

Rawr wrote: »

I'd actually watch this as a series in it's own right. Saru is one of my favourites and a story arc / mini series focused around the fight to free his people could make for some very good television (if done right).

Sold! Also authors from their world must go on to write books which become literary works referenced by the Maquis centuries later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked it. Another good mix of old and new Trek.

Saru is a great character. Lot of depth and mystery to him.

Think we're on the way to wrapping up the spore drive in a believable manner.

The mysteries living asteroid probe thing was awesome..

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Acosta wrote: »
    This and the previous episode was brilliant. Really enjoying it now.

You men episode 2 don't you. Episode 3 was a slog to get through.

Some difference between this episode and episode 3.

I really did not like the 3rd episode but this was much better, Still not the best episode this do that to me would be episode 2.

So is Jett going to become the chief engineer now. Can't say I am mad about her. Was even surprised she was still on the ship. Surely she would be wanting to get to so me starbase and go back to whatever she was doing.

I thought the Tilly/ May bit in this was really good.

Saru was really good in this too and it will be interesting to see how he progresses now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

I had forgotten that Stamets isn't an engineer technically, right? So if the spores drive is removed it's hard to see a contrivance that'd believably keep him onboard (though iirc he already said he was leaving once they returned to dock). Makes sense Reno might take over as chief engineer - though Tig Nataro does a fair bit of standup I believe so who knows how they'd fit that in.

Advertisement