Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology and ag science

Options
  • 08-02-2019 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Posted before but still lost.

Thinking of becoming a teacher, mainly biology and ag science. I’m hearing so many different opinions on teaching as a career.

Was always something I’d me interested in, but 2 more years in college and no possibility of a job putting me off.

So basically my question is, are there many positions on teaching biology and ag science?

Also where can I find out what subjects there is a shortage in?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

There are certainly jobs but they are scarce....like most teaching subjects you need to be in the right place at the right time...we have had a few people get CIDs in recent years by just being lucky when they arrived on staff (obviously they were a good fit for the school too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Ag Sci not on in every school. Think there’s a good few Biology reachers out there too. You’d have to teach Science as well. You’d probably get a job in Dublin alright but you might not have the money to eat 3 times a day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you could add Maths into the mix, or Irish, you'd be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

About half of schools offer Ag Science. I'd imagine all schools offer biology. It's a decent combination.

There would be more schools in rural areas/small towns offering ag science than in cities for obvious reasons.

Advertisement