Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subscription fees for contract staff

Options
  • 08-02-2019 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Just to get your opinion

I’m on an 18 month fixed term contract, contract is directly with the company and not through an agency.

I’m the only contractor, all employees are perm. All members of my team have their professional subs paid by the company. Even a person who just joined and is on probation. Membership is a requirement of the job. It’s nearly €600 a year. However as I’m a contractor I have to pay myself. It’s a big amount to me to pay myself. I queried last year and they said they’d look into but I never got response. There is no mention in contract.

I get other benefits such as health insurance and travel. Do I have any thing to argue that it should be paid by the company. I’m there over a year now and feel at a disadvantage to colleagues because of this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What does your contract say about the subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Surely you should be on a higher day rate than the employees and this should cover your fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Are you an FTC or a proper contractor - i.e. who pays you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Contract is mute on subs.

I probably am on a higher salary so i guess that’s probably the argument.

I’m on an FTC directly with the company, no agent involved. Company pays me through their normal payroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

You get paid what's agreed to in the contract.

I'd never dream of paying the professional membership or accreditation fees of somebody who wasn't an employee. Very surprised you get your health insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Dr Sunshine

OP is an employee. Protection of Fixed Term Workers Act would entitle him to same benefits as permanent employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

Are you a fixed term or day rate contractor?

OP is an employee. Protection of Fixed Term Workers Act would entitle him to same benefits as permanent employee.

Employees on fixed-term contracts have broadly similar rights to those on open-ended contracts, eg in relation to leave etc. But when it comes to pay and benefits, the FTC could have more than a permanent employee, he/she just can’t have less than the statutory minimum. An example of this would be a colleague of the op might have 25 days annual leave in his/her contract, but the employer is only required to give 20 to the op.

FTC are entitled to the same benefits/contributions in relation to pensions as those on CID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Thanks for the replies. I’m on an annual salary not a per hour or day rate. I get annual leave on same basis as other employees. Only difference is that I don’t get a pension.

Thanks for the replies. I’m on an annual salary not a per hour or day rate. I get annual leave on same basis as other employees. Only difference is that I don’t get a pension.

It’s the pension, not the sub you should be looking into.

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/Joining_a_plan/Fixed_term_contract_work/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

you might be able to get tax relief on the subs you are paying

• Registered Users Posts: 15,999 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Dav010 wrote: »
    It’s the pension, not the sub you should be looking into.

https://www.pensionsauthority.ie/en/LifeCycle/Joining_a_plan/Fixed_term_contract_work/

they can give him access to the pension, doesn't mean they have to pay into it

Advertisement