Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cake shops in Cork

Options
  • 08-02-2019 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

HI All,

Can anyone recommend a decent cake shop in Cork, where they make fresh cakes please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭blueberrypie

Brackens-Old Mallow Road also based in Paul Street
    There is a place in Blackpool shopping centre, it changed names recently

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Thanks blueberrypie.

Given your user name, I am going to assume you know your cakes too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭chickey

Meursault wrote: »
    HI All,

Can anyone recommend a decent cake shop in Cork, where they make fresh cakes please?

Thanks.

Healy's bakery Blackpool

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Heaven's cake, in the English Market, are they still there?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Heaven's cake, in the English Market, are they still there?

They don't really do cakes as such though - they seem to do those quasi cheesecake type things.
    No substance to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Billy Mackesys in Douglas - unreal stuff.
    I never thought much of Bracken's, fairly bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

Cinnamon cottege ?

Have not been here but have heard good things - https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186600-d12825973-Reviews-Cameron_s_Bakery-Cork_County_Cork.html

tara tea room on McCurtain street do good cakes as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Cupcake Cottage, Anglesea St. would be another.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Going with Billy Mackesys.

Thanks again All.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

horgan_p wrote: »
    They don't really do cakes as such though - they seem to do those quasi cheesecake type things.
    No substance to them.

They are mostly filled tarts and lovely.
    Can't think what you mean by having no substance to them. Pretty rich, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

There is a bakery/cake shop up by the Kino on Washington Street. Looks like they open at 7am so probably as fresh as you get. I must check it out some day.

Anyone been in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

A little bit out of Cork, but Fitzpatricks in Glounthaune are the gold standard for cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

There is a bakery/cake shop up by the Kino on Washington Street. Looks like they open at 7am so probably as fresh as you get. I must check it out some day.

Anyone been in there?

Cameron? Everyone who works there seems to be French the pastries and cakes are amazing. They also do some of the best sandwiches in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Anyone been in there?

Cameron's might just have the pastries in the city! Sandwiches are pretty awesome too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A little bit out of Cork, but Fitzpatricks in Glounthaune are the gold standard for cakes.

Depending where OP is, it could be quicker to go to Fitzpatricks.

**** - now I want to go to Fitzpatricks......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well, there are a few different types of cakes, if you get me.

Fitzpatricks do traditional mass-produced cakes, in large quantities, with industrial type ingredients. I like it, and they are good at what they do. If I want a good custard slice, or a slab of chocolate biscuit cake that can be cut into 100 identical pieces, I'd go there. The standard is that of a very good petrol station, not a patisserie.

If you wanted something very specific, with maybe an ununusal flavour, like a wedding cake, or special occasion cake, try Cakes By Ruth (http://www.cakesbyruth.ie/) Bitesize in midleton, cinnamon cottage or camerons.

Advertisement