Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Seat Ateca on PCP - equity in 3 years time?

• 08-02-2019 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I’m considering buying a Seat Ateca FR 1.5 petrol, manual, on PCP.

I haven’t finalised what is the best balance of initial deposit v monthly repayment for me, but I’m more concerned that the car may not retain much equity when the 3-year term is up.

Clearly, the exact level of equity it retains depends on the guaranteed future value, but just as a general perception, I feel that the Seat won’t retain as much as a VW or a Skoda.

Am I right to be concerned about this, or am I just overthinking it? - I realise that this may be difficult to answer without knowing the precise numbers. Thanks for any views.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Speaking to someone who has a 2017 it’s been very reliable and solid motor.

I think Seat will loose a bit more than Skoda but most people do know they are horses from the same stable so providing they continue to perform reliably they should retain good value.

Came very close to pulling the trigger on one last year myself. Nice drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No one has a crystal ball, but I feel you'd be correct in thinking it won't hold it's value as well as a VW. But on the flip side it is cheaper than the equivalent VW in the first place. It won't be far off Skoda though, those small SUV's are very much in vogue with Irish punters now so it will be a popular car in the trade I'd say.

VAG tend to structure the PCP arrangement very well imo, the GFV (balloon) in 3 years should be significantly less than what the car is actually worth as a trade in at that time.

I'd say if you go in with a ~20% deposit you should have approx ~20% equity in the car in 3 years (i.e. it should be worth ~20% more than the GFV), and in that scenario you'll be able to roll into a new SEAT again in 2022 with very no upfront payment and probably very little change in your monthly. VAG do structure it this way of course in order to make it as attractive as possible for customers to keep coming back and rolling into a new car again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 314 ✭✭photosmart

I think you're safe enough with an SUV however from experience (I've a leon)
    the Seats go down by significantly more than either VW or Skoda.

eg I've a 161 Leon in perfect nick and was offered 13k in a trade-in on an Ateca this month. What this means in reality is I'm getting closer to 11500 - 12k if you consider the discount on the other end is missing also.

I realise this is for a non-suv car but I know my brothers Octavia similar year etc is getting an offer of 15k. This just reflects Seat second hand sales value which is low although the Ateca may buck this trend.

Unless there is a very good deal on the ateca ie about 2k less than the equivalent karoq etc then I would go for the Skoda over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

photosmart wrote: »
    I think you're safe enough with an SUV however from experience (I've a leon)
    the Seats go down by significantly more than either VW or Skoda.

eg I've a 161 Leon in perfect nick and was offered 13k in a trade-in on an Ateca this month. What this means in reality is I'm getting closer to 11500 - 12k if you consider the discount on the other end is missing also.

I realise this is for a non-suv car but I know my brothers Octavia similar year etc is getting an offer of 15k. This just reflects Seat second hand sales value which is low although the Ateca may buck this trend.

Unless there is a very good deal on the ateca ie about 2k less than the equivalent karoq etc then I would go for the Skoda over it.

€5k VAT back and it's already €3k lower than a Karoq.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you can afford the car with 15 percent deposit, you should be generally ok in terms of having options at year 3.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    €5k VAT back and it's already €3k lower than a Karoq.
    The offer is for selected diesels in stock only I believe and the OP wants a petrol.

They presumably want rid of the diesels.

That sounds like a great deal with the vat back - I think thats probably a no brainer then

PS
    I checked out that deal this week and I think there was only 2 diesels left in stock - I'd be surprised if there are any left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Seat did similar last year and/or the year before too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Pretty sure that's with a higher APR than before and without their scrappage offer. Can't recall if the latter was available on the Ateca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 DelayedAgain

The offer is for selected diesels in stock only I believe and the OP wants a petrol.

They presumably want rid of the diesels.

Correct.

I rang a dealer today to check and the FR petrol is not included. The VAT offer seems to be confined to diesels that are in stock, no special orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DelayedAgain

Thanks all.

I’ll need to look at the exact numbers on offer.

Even though Seats may not hold their value as well as the other VAG brands, there will probably still be enough there to provide some options in 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The deposit ratio makes no difference to the equity but it will affect your monthly repayment if you roll into another deal. I'd go 12 to 15% deposit to maximise options. If you roll over monthly will stay the same, paying off in 2 to 3 years will also net similar payments.

Ateca is a great car and seat is a class leader. Buy something you like and enjoy. Like a bed you'll spend a lot of time in it.

Advertisement