Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New invention idea?

Options
  • 08-02-2019 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

hi,
    I have a really good idea this long time for an electronic invention,which I haven't seen yet anywhere in use or invented etc.
    there is massive potential for this to be used worldwide.
    I'm not an engineer, entrepreneur etc, so I can't design or manufacture this myself. I just have the great idea which I know will work.
    what are the steps I need to take to get this drawn up, made etc where to go about it etc and make sure no one steals the idea in the process?
    there seems to be little info out there for people with ideas and how to go about it. or maybe that's on purpose!
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Lots of people have great ideas. That doesn't mean you're an inventor.
    How much money have you got to put into this?
    A friend of mine patented a device recently and the first draft of solicitors contracts cost €10,000 alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Protecting your idea can get very expensive but its definitely worth doing as that will be what gives you the value for any potential buyer or licensing deal. I would try to build a prototype as proof of concept, make sure I am fully protected then look to do a deal with one of the big names in that particular industry.

If you really do have something good and you tried to do it yourself most likely outcome is if it starts to get big then the big companies will tweak it enough to be able to do it themselves or the Chinese knock offs will just flood in.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi,
    Have a look at Enterprise Ireland. They offer €5,000 grants (Innovation Vouchers) about 3 times a year and if successful, you can take this funding to one of the colleges, universities, institutes of technologies etc... for research, prototyping etc.. I have done this and it was great experience.
    JT.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

It looks like you need a circuit board designed with some custom code.
    This is all achievable for very little money to prototype. (less than €100, yes hundred, not thousand)

I know a neighbour of mine built an electronic device for the agri sector, using a device called Arduino.

Drop me a line if you would like to be put in touch.

Once the prototype is programmed and working , then you look at burning a circuit board and having an eprom chip onboard.

hth,
    Sys

It looks like you need a circuit board designed with some custom code.
    This is all achievable for very little money to prototype. (less than €100, yes hundred, not thousand)

Doubt that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sysprogrammer

Effects wrote: »
    Doubt that.

Dictionary result for sciolist
    nounARCHAIC
    a person who pretends to be knowledgeable and well informed.

Have you anything useful to add Effects? your reply was rather light on , well , everything.

I have seen prototyping done, and both rPI and Arduino are sound test platforms.

Sys

I have seen prototyping done, and both rPI and Arduino are sound test platforms.

Sounds cool. Nice work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Sounds cool. Nice work.

You are coming across as very childish here.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

crxsi09 wrote: »
    hi,
    I have a really good idea this long time for an electronic invention,which I haven't seen yet anywhere in use or invented etc.
    there is massive potential for this to be used worldwide.
    I'm not an engineer, entrepreneur etc, so I can't design or manufacture this myself. I just have the great idea which I know will work.
    what are the steps I need to take to get this drawn up, made etc where to go about it etc and make sure no one steals the idea in the process?
    there seems to be little info out there for people with ideas and how to go about it. or maybe that's on purpose!
    thanks

Sounds like you need both a business partner and a mentor. There are lots of incubators, mentors and pipelines available. As someone else said idea's a common but action is rare.

And don't be overly worried about someone stealing your idea, or make the cardinal sin of asking a mentor or advisor to sign an NDA.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Doubt that.

If you don't have anything useful to add then please don't bother posting..this kind of remark adds nothing to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

PM me your idea, and I'll tell you what to do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Go to your Local Enterprise Office and speak with someone there - look at a starting your own business course and speak to them about a feasibility study grant.

As SysProgrammer said its possible your idea could be a basic prototype done on a Raspberry Pi or Arduino starting off as a proof of concept. Also, look at the innovation voucher as mentioned but the next call isn't till May so plenty of time to do some homework before that, also EI much prefer someone who has started with the LEO and then moved to them. Its the natural progression and going to EI with no homework done and nothing prepared will put you at a bad starting point.

And don't make the cardinal sin of asking a mentor or advisor to sign an NDA.

What's so wrong about signing NDAs? I've had to sign a few over the years but always thought it was a bit OTT in some cases. It was never a big deal to sign though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

They are a legal grey area so having legal look over is advised but has time and cost overhead which isn't always worth it.

It might also constrain promotion opportunities or the ability to get opinions from others who you think could contribute.

Rarely is an idea or invention original and there is a mistaken overemphasis on protection.

Lastly too many go to legal way too early thinking it to be professional, when actually a softer approach is often a much better starting point.

All these are red flags.

Contrast with iCabbi's approach on here a few years back, where they were very open and netted big benefits and now are very successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Talk to your local enterprise office.

Look up enterprise ireland innovation vouchers.

Speak to 3 different patent attorneys (first consultation is usually free). Do not be in a rush to actually get patents and whatnot however but do talk the the attorneys asap.

Look at entering the Irish best young entrepreneur competition whose applications close in a couple of days.

Speak to the product research departments of the institute's of technology that are listed under the enterprise ireland innovation vouchers scheme.

By doing the above you will learn what your next steps should be and you will be surprised how things seem to naturally come together as you progress with your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

The OP says he has a great, novel idea and a fear it will be ripped off. By his own admission he has nothing else – no model, no finished concept - and probably no plan. He also says he has no skills and no experience so it is pointless suggesting that he build a prototype. Had he bothered to use it the ‘Search’ function on this forum it would throw up what he needs in countless threads - a LEO program or similar first, after which he will realise where he is.

As for the earlier comments on NDA’s, they are not a grey area; properly drafted they are watertight but taking legal action successfully as a result of suspected or actual breach is long, difficult and requires very deep pockets. For that reason they’re generally confined to participants in multi-million €$£ deals or for access to highly sensitive commercial information (sight of unlimited company accounts, data rooms, during M & A talks, etc.). For the OP to demand one is (as alluded to in #10 above) both silly and a sure indication of a debutant’s commercial ignorance.

Advertisement