Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist Down - Rathmines Road, Bike Collection

Options
  • 08-02-2019 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

I met a cyclist down on Rathmines Road this evening about 6:10pm, at the junction of Rathmines Rd and Richmond Hill, opposite St Mary's College.

Was a number of people attending to him, he was talking but wasn't moving.

Firstly, my thoughts are with him.

Secondly, if it was you and you're reading this, I brought your bike up to Think Bike and gave your name. They're awaiting your call before they will do anything with the bike.

I left my number with the man who was helping you so hopefully he passed that on. I also left it with the guys in the shop.

We told you at the time what we were doing with the bike but just wanted to post here as well in case you're a boardsie and in case you didn't remember.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Well done Dowee.

Might be no harm to contact the local Garda Station also. If the cyclist doesn't remember your interaction, he may make contact with the Gardai regarding his bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Good idea. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ICS Cycling Project

Just to let you know @Dowee we have made contact with the cyclists family we don't know too much about the injuries sustained other than he will spend a few days in hospital.
    Both the cyclist family and us here at Thinkbike appreciate your actions . . Thank You

Dowee wrote: »
    I met a cyclist down on Rathmines Road this evening about 6:10pm, at the junction of Rathmines Rd and Richmond Hill, opposite St Mary's College.

Was a number of people attending to him, he was talking but wasn't moving.

Firstly, my thoughts are with him.

Secondly, if it was you and you're reading this, I brought your bike up to Think Bike and gave your name. They're awaiting your call before they will do anything with the bike.

I left my number with the man who was helping you so hopefully he passed that on. I also left it with the guys in the shop.

We told you at the time what we were doing with the bike but just wanted to post here as well in case you're a boardsie and in case you didn't remember.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully his injuries aren't too bad.

If you still have the bike by tomorrow I might drop in his water bottle if that's ok? When I was gathering up his bike etc I noticed there was no bottle cage and I assumed it had been knocked off in the crash so I put his bottle in my bag and then forgot to give it to you when I dropped the bike in.

Of course when I got home I realised the bottle is designed to sit on the bottle cage screws (hence the lack of a bottle cage). I was unaware of such a design until I saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

That junction is horrible - I contacted the NTA about it before and heard nothing back. Busiest road for cyclists and cars should not be allowed turn right from rathmines road to Richmond Hill, there is no visibility until the last second for cars turning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 SMAC79

Hi Dowee,

That cyclist was me. Thanks a million for looking after my bike and taking the time to bring the bottle back into Think Bike. Turns out the bike was in much better shape than me after that hit and I now have it back. Nothing major broken accept a wedge fracture of one vertabrae and some nasty back and neck pain. Gardai are pursuing a criminal case against the driver. People like you and the others at the scene make this world a better place to live. Thanks again.

SMAC79 wrote: »
    Hi Dowee,

That cyclist was me. Thanks a million for looking after my bike and taking the time to bring the bottle back into Think Bike. Turns out the bike was in much better shape than me after that hit and I now have it back. Nothing major broken accept a wedge fracture of one vertabrae and some nasty back and neck pain. Gardai are pursuing a criminal case against the driver. People like you and the others at the scene make this world a better place to live. Thanks again.

Hey, delighted to hear you are recovering and the injuries aren't too bad. Ye, the bike seemed in alright shape. The front de-railleur looked like it took some damage as it was wedged against the back wheel.

I was actually behind you on the grand canal cycle path (at Lesson St Bridge) that evening but from there I take a slightly different route and re-join your route at the point you were down. I didn't see the incident but it had just happened when I arrived there.

As you were being tended to by some people my immediate concern was for the bike as I'd been admiring it earlier and from looking at you it didn't seem like you were going to be cycling home. Somebody had thankfully already moved it off the road.

Hopefully you're back on the bike soon!

Yes I value the bike almost as much as my health so I'm chuffed it survived with just a few scratches and 2 broken spokes. I certainly didn't cycle home that night. I spent 3 days in hospital but on the road to recovery now. Great on the spot thinking to bring it into the bike shop. I'm so grateful to you and hopefully be back cycling to work in a few weeks and hopefully we cross paths again so I can thank you in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great stuff lads.
    Dowee wrote: »
    .... I realised the bottle is designed to sit on the bottle cage screws (hence the lack of a bottle cage).....
    I'm intrigued by this. Any further information?

it's just a bottle that mounts on to the frame on 2 screws exactly where you would usually mount the cage. Just google cageless bottle bike and look at the images.

• Advertisement

By the way I wouldn't recommend this if you cycle in any rough terrain as it can dismount going over big bumps (sometimes without you even noticing it). Great up in the mountains but not so much in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Timecode 4mins

https://youtu.be/YAo1uhuPWuA?t=240

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Great stuff lads.

There were 2 for sale here a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

I'm delighted to hear that the gardaí are pursuing a criminal case against the driver. But it's time for a no-right-turn-except-cyclists sign there, with a barrier to make the right turn difficult - and enforcement of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

There is an advance advisory sign there since last autumn saying that there would be no right turn allowed from October 2018.
    However the actual no turn signs were never installed, so things carry on as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've been saying for years that ALL right turns on and off the Rathmines road should be banned. Bollards all the way down the middle of the road from the Swan to the canal. It's just too busy for it, and it would make a huge difference to traffic flows at peak times.

Advertisement