Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric mower for half acre

Options
  • 08-02-2019 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭

I want to replace my petrol mower with a battery one. Most electric ones seem to be one or more of the following:

Small
    Cabled
    Expensive

I want to switch because I don't want to be filling my garden up with particulate.

I was thinking I'd get a robot mower but the terrain might be a bit rough and irregular for one. I also like cutting the grass so it seems pointless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

I want to switch because I don't want to be filling my garden up with particulate.

Huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Gravelly wrote: »
    Huh?
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-09/documents/banks.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjDi8rLxK3gAhW1oXEKHYieBXUQFjANegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2M17b3er9VboALbzXlDm7Z

or google pm2.5. Garden tools produce very grrat amiunts of it. It is particularly damaging for kids under 5. My kid is 1.

Also, where can I sell petrol powered gardening tools -including ones that don't currently work? (Including a ride on mower.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I want to replace my petrol mower with a battery one. Most electric ones seem to be one or more of the following:

Small
    Cabled
    Expensive

I was thinking I'd get a robot mower but the terrain might be a bit rough and irregular for one. I also like cutting the grass so it seems pointless.

https://www.etesia.co.uk/pellenc/rasion-basic.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Pellenc are fairly Rolls Royce.
    I'd get a robot and have done, even if it took a bit of remodelling to get the place into shape for one. I know you like cutting the grass but surely there's something else you like more you could be doing with your time.

P.S. If you're concerned about pm2.5 I hope you have no attachment to a stove.

• Advertisement

Pm2.5 take 83min to settle 1m so as long as you keep the kids out of the garden for an hour or so after mowing it'll be grand.

Source: http://sfrecpark.org/wp-content/uploads/PM-Tire4MichaelVestel071408.pdf

Roen wrote: »
    I'd get a robot and have done, even if it took a bit of remodelling to get the place into shape for one. I know you like cutting the grass but surely there's something else you like more you could be doing with your time.

Have a stove. Know what you're talking about. We're looking to replace it with one with low emissions. If not possible then we'll look at outright removal. Not in use in the meantime. Will only burn bone dry wood in it. Damp fuel produces way more emissions.

There are muliple lawns but was planning to use robot for large area of the main one. Could do that and get a small battery one for the others. Would need to look into what robot would work well. Any suggestions?

They are the rolls Royce but also probably the best thing for 1/2 acre.

There are muliple lawns but was planning to use robot for large area of the main one. Could do that and get a small battery one for the others. Would need to look into what robot would work well. Any suggestions?

Etesia robot to be found on the same website I linked for pellenc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Sorry to come at this from another angle but do you actually need a half acre of manicured grass?

I know wild meadows are very difficult to maintain but maybe reduce the size with shrubs and perennial plants or ornamental grasses. Or even some willows which you could pollard and use for firewood.

If you are in the countryside all parts of a large garden need not be immaculate.

Please ignore if not feasable.

wildwillow wrote: »
    do you actually need a half acre of manicured grass?

I know wild meadows are very difficult to maintain but maybe reduce the size with shrubs and perennial plants or ornamental grasses.If you are in the countryside all parts of a large garden need not be immaculate.

The only concern I'd have with that is ticks and Lyme disease. You don't really want to be sending young kids out to play in long grass.

Now you might say that's a bit overprotective, but in the context of this thread I'd be far more concerned about Lyme disease than a bit of smoke from a mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Being overprotective is part of parenting, and Lyme disease and ticks are valid concerns.

I use fragrant shrubs on the boundaries which I keep under some control and the joy of different scents throughout the year is wonderful. Examples are sarcacocca, Phyladulphus, Osmanthus burkwoodii, Daphne, viburnum and lilac.

My lawn is not perfect as I don't use chemicals but it is perfect for playing. (The moss ensures a soft landing!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

What's the budget and how rough or featured is the lawn? I guess everything will stem from the €€ available. Best bet might be to get your local installer out to see would it suit. Those guys would give you a good steer. I'd only be guessing as to how rough is rough and might suggest something unsuitable. You'd need someone to throw their eye on it.

I'm not sure where the discussion on Lymes is coming from. If you start down that road you'll end up tipping agent orange over everything in case it could harbour some nasty or other.
    And that's coming from someone who's had it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

How much was shipping?

What's the budget and how rough or featured is the lawn? I guess everything will stem from the €€ available. Best bet might be to get your local installer out to see would it suit. Those guys would give you a good steer. I'd only be guessing as to how rough is rough and might suggest something unsuitable. You'd need someone to throw their eye on it.

I'm not sure where the discussion on Lymes is coming from. If you start down that road you'll end up tipping agent orange over everything in case it could harbour some nasty or other.
    And that's coming from someone who's had it twice.
    Figuring out the budget. I have a list of tens of things I'm trying to put prices on. Mainly it's a case of see how much a few big things cost then see what's left for other things like this...

There's a slope, trees, shrubs, septic tank in a dip, swing. Nothing horrible.

Long grass wouldn't work for us because I wouldnt't be able to find my dog's poop.

How much was shipping?
    £24.95 sterling. £124.90 sterling total.

That compost bin seems good, after assembling and starting to fill it. No way big enough by itself to deal with all my food and garden waste though..

Mulching seems the way to go in that regard. Thinking I probably will get a robot mower, just set its area to be the flat main area and do the slopes and more complex parts manually, as well as my two smaller lawns manually.

I have apple trees that drop a lot of fruit. Guessing they are best left in the manual zone, right?

I’ve a dog that poops all over the place. Not keen on the mower mowing that because it would be dirty, especially when I have a one year old who will start wanting to play in the grass at some point. Would the mower work ok if I set it to only be active at night, giving me a chance to pick up after the dog before it starts - or would it only manage a much smaller area as a result of that?

Any recommendations? Not sure the area I’d be looking at, but It should be less than 1k m2, maybe closer to half that. Will go out and estimate it at the weekend. Is the McCullough rob1000 good?

Haven’t defined a budget like I say but generally looking for the best bang for the buck. I suppose it’s a matter of comparing robot+smaller battery mower with big battery mower. Or I could stick with the petrol one to supplement the robot. (Petrol one is decent, just concerned about its fumes.)

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Where can this be bought that delivers to Ireland?

Around 1500 on some sites that don’t deliver here. I thought I saw it priced at more than twice that though.

Edit: About 2k for mower and mulching kit on retail price list on the distributor site, but the battery costs about the same again from what I can see. The robot/smaller mower combo looks the better option then

• Advertisement

I changed my mind about the robot because we keep changing the layout of the garden.

I got this this week:

Dewalt DCMW564P2 XR Brushless Lawn Mower 18V 2 x 5.0Ah Li-ion https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BC8FLCJ/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_5Va2EbQMZX4QP

It cost €600 on McQuillanTools but I see it is no longer listed so maybe I got the last one.

It cuts very long dry grass easily. It runs out of battery very quickly while doing so. Don't know if the battery would last better in more normal conditions.

The mulching is great. Soil is hard compacted clay for a large part. (Much worse than it was when I started this thread.)

Advertisement