Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

Spotted this online, not a million miles away from what was on the show...

Wonder how long the miners lived for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

crazy to think it was all for nothing building that

1 in 4 died

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

GrumPy wrote: »
    For those enjoying the show that want to know more about the history (in detail) here is a really cool link: https://imgur.com/a/TwY6q

Super interesting stuff and absolutely terrifying.

Had to laugh at the Sun newspaper from that link. A nuclear disaster in progress and they still get a dig in at the royal family. :pac:

4287-newspaper-headlines-bf072.jpg

Always focus on the important things such as;

jau3xjriy8011.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭klose

Absolutely loving this so far, brilliant television!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Herself cant see past the English accents and finds it really hard to take it seriously but once i kinda figured out what they where doing i just ignored it.

Late reply, but I was listening to the accompanying podcast to the show. The writer, Craig Mazin, was saying they were worried about Ukranian/Russian accents sounding too comical or ridiculous, so they encouraged actors to use their natural accent (so long as they were not American). It threw me at first, too. But I totally get why they did it.

The Scottish miner bugged me but only because I'm sure I've seen him in something else and can't quite place him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

The more I think about it, the more I find the moaning about the accents to be pretty downright stupid. The whiners should surely take issue with it being in English so if they're that bothered about authenticity.
    The Scottish miner bugged me but only because I'm sure I've seen him in something else and can't quite place him.
    Trevor in Eastenders! "Little" Mo's husband. He's excellent.

Trevor in Eastenders! "Little" Mo's husband. He's excellent.

Yes! That's him! Thank you, that had been bugging me since he first popped up on screen. And yeah, he is really good. I'm surprised he hasn't been in more stuff since leaving Eastenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

200px-Trevor_morgan_eee.jpg

'Where's my dinner Moooooooooo'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

This is easily one of the best shows I have seen in years. I actively look forward to each episode, and the next day I stick on the podcast which just adds more and more to it.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Reading all these so decided I'd check out threads with herself as a Friday night movie.

Well that was grim. Brilliant but grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

lol yeah, that bit with the hotel scene from above looking down at the desk and that ultra grim carpet pattern really stuck in my head as being really authentic looking even though I was never anywhere near there at that time! Looks like the feickin NAMA owned hotel in the town I live in so that's probably why

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I think 14 is a perfectly fine age to watch this. It happened, it's part of history, the programme isn't glorifying anything. I'd have a bigger problem with him watching gratuitous fictionalised violence, tbh.

My 14 year old son watches this and is blown away by it. I remember watching stuff years ago at that age about the bay of pigs, Vietnam etc and my old man remembered it in real life, thought it was pretty cool. It's great to see young lads interested in history and good film making.
    Just watched episode 3 and have to say it's the best thing I watched in years. Dumbstruck at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Grim and Gripping would be the two words I'd use to describe this show. It's a pity it's only 5 episodes long, as someone born after these events I find it absolutely fascinating. As a kid in the 90s I'd have grown up knowing generally about Chernobyl and the "children of Chernobyl" etc, and you'd know what basically happened and the consequences, but it's mad to look at how it all went down. When you're that age hearing about an incident like that before your time, it may as well have been 1000 years ago, but it was so recent.

The denial of some about what actually happened, those people that went in without knowing what was actually going on, the government involvement and attempt to cover it up, the immediate as well as long term effects on those present - all incredibly interesting as well as horrifying. Such a well done show too, everything is spot on.

recyclops wrote: »
    Reading all these so decided I'd check out threads with herself as a Friday night movie.

Well that was grim. Brilliant but grim.

When I was at school in Liverpool, about 1996-is, we were made to watch Threads for one of our classes. I'd have been 15/16 at the time and, I swear, it gave me recurring nightmares about nuclear war for years afterwards. TBF, fear of nuclear was a pre-existing fear I had, but that movie sent it into the stratosphere. And my local board of education thought it would be great for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Good twitter thread on the attention to detail, from the perspective of someone born in the Soviet Union and who lived through this period.
    https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132029943297265664?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭recyclops

Seems the writer is delighted with the twitter thread too. It's incredible to see it becoming so big and the creator just seems to be nonchalantly going along with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I thought it was evident from the podcast that the writer is passionate about the story so it's no surprise at the level of effort and detail gone into to it. Fair play for them for doing the story justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Jesus lads this is phenomenal TV what day is it usually on , just blew through the 1st 3 episodes last night

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Tuesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Really good Twitter thread from a Soviet's point of view on the show

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1132029943297265664?s=19

• Advertisement

Fcuk me. Just finished episode 3. I wish to unsee some things. I feel ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,059 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Fcuk me. Just finished episode 3. I wish to unsee some things. I feel ill.

Not an easy watch alright. I think everyone who has seen it so far wishes the same.
    Hope your feeling better today.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,837 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I can't ****ing wait for the next episode, best telly in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Barry Keoghan is in the next episode by the looks of it. Thought that was him at the end of the 3rd one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Wow. Watched all 3 episodes yesterday. Harrowing as hell but unmissable TV. It's so well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I can't ****ing wait for the next episode, best telly in years.

Spot on. Makes Tuesdays much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Barry Keoghan is in the next episode by the looks of it. Thought that was him at the end of the 3rd one alright.

ya, should have a big enough part in it too as one of the liquidators

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

Man that episdoes was the hardest to watch, I didn't mind any of the other episdoes but the poor animals got me finally. This is the best show I have ever watched. It deserves all the praise and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

ASOT wrote: »
    Man that episdoes was the hardest to watch, I didn't mind any of the other episdoes but the poor animals got me finally. This is the best show I have ever watched. It deserves all the praise and more.

will be watching tonight have it recorded, have seen a lot online already though about the dogs not looking forward to that scene.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There are also excellent podcasts available on the making of this mini series. About 1 hour long each.

Advertisement