Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

my uncle and few other lads heading to Belarus Friday for 10 days charity building , they have been many times . I have been watching on sky atlantic, if any one wants to PM me with an option for him to watch it (he has no Sky) , off a USB stick preferably it would be much appreciated. He has heard about it off me and a few others and is very interested to see it !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Barry Keoghan reprising his role as a killer of household pets - nobody does it better. I wonder does he feel he's being typecast though?

Agent: "Barry, get your sweet Irish butt to LA; I got you a reading for a dynamite new part set in the Soviet Union. It's the hottest role in town."

Barry: "Thanks Shlomo, what's the gig? Brooding cop? Neurotic spy? Sexy cosmonaut?"

Agent: "Better than that kid, you'll be shooting radioactive cats with a rifle!"

*Barry hangs up phone*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Anyone with a minor (or more serious) medical condition finding it aggravates the symptoms? Was talking to someone with asthma who finds herself reaching for her inhaler when watching it. I've recurring sinus issues and they flare up rotten.

Either coincidence or, what's it called, psychosomatic symptoms.

The mind can do mad sh1t - the sense of toxicity and ill health is conveyed so effectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Anyone with a minor (or more serious) medical condition finding it aggravates the symptoms? Was talking to someone with asthma who finds herself reaching for her inhaler when watching it. I've recurring sinus issues and they flare up rotten.

Either coincidence or, what's it called, psychosomatic symptoms.

The mind can do mad sh1t - the sense of toxicity and ill health is conveyed so effectively.

well that's me listening to the Prodigy for the rest of the day now

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Good program but I think it contains some factual inaccuracies. I think the guys who opened the sluice gates lived on for years afterwards and one of them in fact is still alive. I think they didn't bother with the heat exchanger in the end and just went with more concrete. I will look for links in a while.
    But this doesn't take from a really well written edge of your seat drama, one of the best things on TV at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Good program but I think it contains some factual inaccuracies. I think the guys who opened the sluice gates lived on for years afterwards and one of them in fact is still alive. I think they didn't bother with the heat exchanger in the end and just went with more concrete. I will look for links in a while.
    But this doesn't take from a really well written edge of your seat drama, one of the best things on TV at the moment.
    Accompanying podcast explains that and the choices they made.

lawred2 wrote: »
    well that's me listening to the Prodigy for the rest of the day now
    I always think of it when I use that word! (Not very often thankfully).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Those lads that opened the sluice gates were essentially playing Russian roulette with the radiation (5 out of 6 chambers loaded) - greatly increased probability of developing cancer or leukemia in later years but not guaranteed either. Even acute radiation poisoning was not 100% fatal (except for those poor unfortunates who received the highest dose at the outset).

This is a fantastic web-site which provides a photographic archive of Chernobyl and the aftermath: http://www.chernobylgallery.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,460 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Tough one this....

will I sit down and watch the penultimate episode of probably the best television this year ?

or

will I sit down and watch a BTS special around the making of a disastrous last season, which is probably populated by various talking heads stating how 'it's going to be great, going to be great' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

McDermotX wrote: »
    Tough one this....

will I sit down and watch the penultimate episode of probably the best television this year ?

or

will I sit down and watch a BTS special around the making of a disastrous last season, which is probably populated by various talking heads stating how 'it's going to be great, going to be great' ?

The latter first, and the former last sounds like a plan to me. Restore the faith in TV by watching what's no doubt bound to be considered a masterpiece (if the last 2 episodes are as good as the first 3).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Episode 4 is on the NAS drive ready for this evening. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Can't believe there is only 1 more episode to go.

This has had me since the opening scene, properly gripping stuff and told really well. Haven't enjoyed a show this much since Breaking Bad or True Detective season 1.

I can't wait to watch it all again...and again...and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,791 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Gintonious wrote: »
    Can't believe there is only 1 more episode to go.

This has had me since the opening scene, properly gripping stuff and told really well. Haven't enjoyed a show this much since Breaking Bad or True Detective season 1.

I can't wait to watch it all again...and again...and again.

episode 4 is another good one then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Going to watch episode four tonight but after three previous episodes of the utmost quality, and it being based on real events etc., if the last two episodes were not also superb it would be quite a shock.

Assuming that level is maintained I doubt I'll see any better TV any time soon, I haven't been this gripped by a drama in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭mcdaids69

Going to watch episode four tonight but after three previous episodes of the utmost quality, and it being based on real events etc., if the last two episodes were not also superb it would be quite a shock.

Assuming that level is maintained I doubt I'll see any better TV any time soon, I haven't been this gripped by a drama in years.

level maintained :pac: got to see it at 3am this morning...joys of night work and finishing at 11pm :D

2smiggy wrote: »
    my uncle and few other lads heading to Belarus Friday for 10 days charity building , they have been many times . I have been watching on sky atlantic, if any one wants to PM me with an option for him to watch it (he has no Sky) , off a USB stick preferably it would be much appreciated. He has heard about it off me and a few others and is very interested to see it !!

ill PM u a link if u want to download it and let him see it

McDermotX wrote: »
    Tough one this....

or

5 episodes..this is four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,217 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The guys dying was almost excepted fact for years after so I wouldn’t be that hard on the writers of the show. I always assumed they died. The fact that the cooling thing the liquidators build was never used because it cooled down on its own is cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Fantastic TV show. Incredibly paced, each episode just gets more and more disturbing. Episode 4 has ramped things up again with the steadily unfolding nightmare.

I wonder though, why they started with the actual explosion, rather than including the minutes / hour leading up to it. That in itself was incredible. Mockumentary/ re-enactment is on youtube. A very minor quibble though.

Reminds me of Threads, the 80s bbc film about war nuclear war set in England. Shudder..

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/threads

It does a better job than Threads of showing the effects of acute radiation poisoning. Plus it really happened.

Threads is terrifying though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,460 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

mcdaids69 wrote: »
    5 episodes..this is four

As per penultimate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Barry Keoghan gets an awful lot of camera time for someone who says very few words.

2smiggy wrote: »
    episode 4 is another good one then ?

Its almost like each episode has its own genre.

First was action/disaster
    Second was more drama
    Third was thriller/crime
    Fourth is social

And so on and so on.

To tackle an even like this in 5 episodes, to cover the accident, the lead up, aftermath (on multiple levels) and to keep you glued to your TV...It really is something special.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Fantastic TV show. Incredibly paced, each episode just gets more and more disturbing. Episode 4 has ramped things up again with the steadily unfolding nightmare.

I wonder though, why they started with the actual explosion, rather than including the minutes / hour leading up to it. That in itself was incredible. Mockumentary/ re-enactment is on youtube. A very minor quibble though.

Reminds me of Threads, the 80s bbc film about war nuclear war set in England. Shudder..

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/threads

I thought the same, but looks like Ep.5 is going to tackle this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Brilliant brilliant television. So much tension, just watched ep 4 and great googly moogly, the roof scenes were just off the scale (no pun intended) absolutely dripping in tension and foreboding. Could watch 12 episodes of this if they went full proper season. 10/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭crisco10

To be fair, they never said the guys died or that the tunnel was used.

I would agree in a way tho, would have been good if they acknowledged the uselessness of the tunnels in the end.

What a show and the podcast to go with makes it even better. I too just feel dirty by the end of each episode. They get the radioactivity being everywhere across so well.

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Brilliant brilliant television. So much tension, just watched ep 4 and great googly moogly, the roof scenes were just off the scale (no pun intended) absolutely dripping in tension and foreboding. Could watch 12 episodes of this if they went full proper season. 10/10.

crazy if you have played computer games like s.t.a.l.k.e.r...all the costumes are bang on too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭Heckler

About to watch episode 4. Delighted this is getting a 9.7 on IMDB for whatever thats worth. Well deserved. The acting, sound design, attention to detail...Harris and Skarsg are standout as was the lead miner Trevor Morgan. I was 13 years old when the accident happened and while I couldn't appreciate the full consequences I knew it was a big deal. This is outstanding TV. The most uncomfortable thing I've watched since the aforementioned Threads. Should be shown in schools as a hugely significant part of a very recent history.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,639 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

The puppies
    :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Yep this was superb as usual, in particular the roof clearing scene was so well done. Simply outstanding television.

Advertisement