Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chernobyl - HBO/Sky *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I'm surprised there wasn't a reference made to the fact that reactors 1 to 3 were still being operated while all this was going on.

The podcast is essential if you have limited knowledge of this event like me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

siblers wrote: »
    I'm surprised there wasn't a reference made to the fact that reactors 1 to 3 were still being operated while all this was going on.

It's stated by Legasov during the trial but yes it's kind of understated.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 akurat

Great TV series! Proud that most of it was filmed in my home country Lithuania. It was very cool too see those filming areas where I actually lived couple years ago... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Were the three "bad guys" not a bit comic book evil?
    The dude with the tashe, Afro Stephen Rea, and speccy four eyes?
    Those three were made scapegoats for the whole communist system tbh
    Lots of comic books characters in the former Soviet Union long after Chernobyl. Being scapegoated was a pretty good outcome, many didn't even get that luxury in the bad old days. It was never the system, whoever else could be blamed and punished would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

siblers wrote: »

The podcast is essential if you have limited knowledge of this event like me
    I think it's implied in that they are never really mentioned. Podcast is excellent even if you do have some knowledge of it. Fascinating to see their process at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cant wait for the "true" version of events from russian TV !

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48559289

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Covered on This Morning today...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

cant wait for the "true" version of events from russian TV !

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48559289

I wonder if it will be in Russian or English

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think it's implied in that they are never really mentioned. Podcast is excellent even if you do have some knowledge of it. Fascinating to see their process at work.

They mention it in the trial scene (Legasov is pretty animated about it) and it's also covered in the podcast.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

GrumPy wrote: »
    They mention it in the trial scene (Legasov is pretty animated about it) and it's also covered in the podcast.

wasnt it also mentioned at the meeting with gorbachev where the threat of the meltdown was first muted ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The full soundtrack is up on Spotify now, it's fantastic stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I’m new to podcasts,,,,, what do I search or where do I go. I’m an Apple man btw

adam88 wrote: »
    I’m new to podcasts,,,,, what do I search or where do I go. I’m an Apple man btw

I'm android but I keep hearing on some podcasts to download them through itunes.

So itunes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Castbox

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Or just the Podcasts app works too.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

You can find them on Spotify as well if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

You can find them on Spotify as well if you have it.

What do I search for tho

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

What do I search for tho

Search for The Chernobyl Podcast. The picture accompanying the podcast is of a guy in a hazmat suit set against a green background.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,330 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

One episode to go and safe to say it's one of the most outstanding pieces of television I have ever watched.

Episode four with the 7000+ (this figure correct) volunteers spending 90 seconds on the roof clearing as much debris as they could, and the camera-work of one of the lads up there, was amazing television. Him getting his foot caught under some graphite and stumbling in his panic to get out in time was giving me palpitations. Keoghan coming across the litter of puppies was heartbreaking.

In a perverse way, I was expecting the pregnant woman to give birth to a deformed baby (as opposed to it dying four hours after delivery) as it would serve as the first example of that problem that is still so prevalent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gauralordon

In a perverse way, I was expecting the pregnant woman to give birth to a deformed baby (as opposed to it dying four hours after delivery) as it would serve as the first example of that problem that is still so prevalent today.

The actual story of Ludmila is different to how it's portrayed in the show, you should check out The Chernobyl Podcast on Spotify or any streaming platform to learn the full story.

Sounding like a broken record recommending this podcast to anyone who's watched the show but it enhances the experience of watching the show so well, it's hard not to recommend!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

They're on YouTube as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

That Podcast must be among the most played Podcast Miniseries going at this point. I've helped a few people install podcast apps just to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,563 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just so everyone knows...there is a podcast to go along with the series, not sure if that has been mentioned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭The Jman

What am I missing with this show? It's boring and depressing, I don't understand what the hype is about!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Jman wrote: »
    What am I missing with this show? It's boring and depressing, I don't understand what the hype is about!!

It's a historical drama based on a real life event, if you have no internet in that even it could be what you're missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I see we've hit the "It's so popular, it must be overhyped" stage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Relikk

I found it to be the complete opposite. Fascinating and gripping, the tension was palpable, extremely well made and it has the perfect soundtrack to compliment it.

Some people might not like it and that's fine. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

What do you expect considering the subject matter?

"3.6 roentgens. Not great, not terrible"

*canned laughter*

"....it's 15,000..."

*Seinfeld music*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭boccy23

Gintonious wrote: »
    The full soundtrack is up on Spotify now, it's fantastic stuff.

Thanks for that. Really enjoyed it on the way home today.

• Advertisement

Ah you can't win them all. Unlucky that this didn't resonate with you.

Advertisement