Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting aside money for the taxman.

Options
  • 09-02-2019 12:55am

Starting this year as self employed. Not great at money management (I'm sure I will get better!) But what I'm wondering is, what is the best way to keep aside money for the tax man at end of year?

Separate tax account in the bank, invest, credit union or prize bonds?

I can see pros and cons for all tbh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i have a seperate account. best thing i ever did. every month i send over roughly the right amount to cover the vat . usually a bit more due to rounding it off

make sure its signed up with revenue andd the accountant instructs them to take it , any refunds go in there too.
    if i buy tools etc the vat taken will be less so that builds up to go towards income tax etc.

not sure any other options like investing or prize bonds etc are worth it. the money isnt in there long enough to make you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 onlinepal100

Totally agree with 1st responder. Unless your ongoing cashflow/business will pay off what you might owe to the Vat man ...keep roughly your net liability in a separate account and pay him/her from there.

Ensure you maximise what you are entitled to offset against your liability so that you only put the net expected payment aside.

Advertisement