Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the DOE check window tint?

• 09-02-2019 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I spent an hour trying to find the answer to this, but I couldn’t. I know the NCT requires 65% VLT on front windows, but I have heard that the DOE does not check window tints. Can anyone confirm this? I own a commercial vehicle which I want to tint the front windows on.

So my question is this: If I show up to the DOE with very dark driver and front passenger windows (e.g. 30% VLT), can the tester fail the vehicle?

I wouldn’t get them tinted that dark, but I’m curious as to what the window tinting rules for the DOE are.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

IIRC it's the law that the windscreen and front windows of any vehicle must allow 65% of light through. So even if the CVRT pass it you can still be done by the Gardai or vehicle inspectors.

Having recently been in a few vehicles with heavy front tint at night , and going through tunnels with a heavily tinted visor, I don't know people can drive safely with heavily tinted front windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We had to remove the window tint from our land cruiser. It had gone through the previous year no bother. Was very hard to take off, this was in the doe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

I be more worried about rsa checkpoint as it a commercial vehicle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC it's the law that the windscreen and front windows of any vehicle must allow 65% of light through. So even if the CVRT pass it you can still be done by the Gardai or vehicle inspectors.

Having recently been in a few vehicles with heavy front tint at night , and going through tunnels with a heavily tinted visor, I don't know people can drive safely with heavily tinted front windows.

None of that is what they asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, 65% of light must get through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

AGS RPU have portable testers. Will issue a fine for it.

If you were to crash with an illegal mod the insurer could pay the third party but issue a cancellation thereafter which essentially blacklists you with all insurers. Just dont.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1023281408154972160

Advertisement