Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough ground

• 09-02-2019 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭

Lads, have about 10 acres of rough and boggy ground. There's good grazing in parts and it's well fenced. Would ye risk throwing some ewes on to it? There is deep water in parts and very wet ground in other parts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Did u graze sheep on it recently? I'd be worried about putting ewes on it because of tick related diseases. Could cause abortions amongst other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lambman wrote: »
    Did u graze sheep on it recently? I'd be worried about putting ewes on it because of tick related diseases. Could cause abortions amongst other things.

Hasn't been grazed in years but we reclaimed and reseeded part of it this year. Was thinking of putting some empty ewes and a few wethers from last year on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

arctictree wrote: »
    Hasn't been grazed in years but we reclaimed and reseeded part of it this year. Was thinking of putting some empty ewes and a few wethers from last year on it.

They’ll be fine. I have a few acres of similar land and threw a few culls on it last year and left them there for a month or two. They came out fat out of it. After though ewes would love to lamb in areas like that as well, lovely and sheltered for the lambs away from wind and rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

I'd chance cull ewes or lambs on it but not inlamb ewes for now anyways... Had a ram a number off years ago that was thrown in rough ground after shearing when it came till tupping time alot off ewes were repeating got him fertility tested and blood tested showed up tick borne fever. Got him jagged and he came alright after 3 weeks. Weary off ticks ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

They’ll be fine. I have a few acres of similar land and threw a few culls on it last year and left them there for a month or two. They came out fat out of it. After though ewes would love to lamb in areas like that as well, lovely and sheltered for the lambs away from wind and rain.

Yeah, theres a deep drain that goes through the middle of it with steep sides. I'd be afraid an inlamb ewe would fall into it or lamb into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Yeah, theres a deep drain that goes through the middle of it with steep sides. I'd be afraid an inlamb ewe would fall into it or lamb into it.

Ah ya, fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Fence it off - we had to do something similar on one of our lower fields near the shore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

after a while get a few mineral licks to bring them into areas that they're not grazing

Advertisement