Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quit job, boss is now being horrible

Options
  • 09-02-2019 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all
    So I handed in my notice two days ago, I had to give 6 weeks notice as per my contract but ever since my boss has been unbearable. It’s a small company with only one other staff member and he is treating me terribly.
    Ignoring me, blaming things on me that aren’t my fault, creating situations where I’ll mess up on purpose or to make me look incompetent. Talking to my co-worker about me, saying horrible things. Being really short and nasty when he does have to talk to me.
    I can’t really go into to much detail but I’m already stressed and feel sick about going back on Monday. Not to mind staying for another 5 weeks.

What happens if I breach my contract and leave early?
    I don’t need references or anything as I’ve already secured another job.

Please any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wouldn't give a sh... how he treated me as long as i had a new job lined up, if you don't react he might calm down in a couple of weeks, i would just try to ride it out, but if it gets too unbearable tell him you staying under theses conditions and working your notice is just not possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Sick from the stress you said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you leave he can potentially sue for breach of contract, have you any significant assets? if not then it won't be viable for him to sue.

If you are stressed I advise that you go to your GP, your health is more important than any job, never mind one you are leaving.

Personally, given his attitude I would clock in and out on the minute while doing as little as possible.

If you do go back to work, document everything, and you may be the one able to sue him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nothing will happen as long as you don’t need a reference from this idiot.

6 weeks for someone who isn’t a senior manager is ridiculous anyway. Two weeks and leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Tell him that you consider his behaviour bullying and that if it continues that you will be taking legal advice. Scare the crap out of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,308 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Miaireland wrote: »
    Tell him that you consider his behaviour bullying and that if it continues that you will be taking legal advice. Scare the crap out of him.

I would email.

Cc HR too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Serve out your notice if only to do the right thing by your former colleagues but make sure the bosszilla is aware that you are doing your former colleagues a favour. Emphasise this at every turn. On the glorious final day be smiley and graceful to everyone EXCEPT your odious and toxic boss, but do not be too hard on it. Then just WALK away.........

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Johnny K

If you leave he can potentially sue for breach of contract, have you any significant assets? if not then it won't be viable for him to sue.

Lol because you always here employers suing for breach of employment contract! Don't think this is even possible.

Most bosses are horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

I would email.

Cc HR too.

Given that the OP has stated that "It’s a small company with only one other staff member ........ " how many people do you reckon work in HR?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Johnny K wrote: »
    Lol because you always here employers suing for breach of employment contract! Don't think this is even possible.

It's possible, the employer would need two things though,

1, proof that he made a loss based on the person leaving that he couldn't avoid and more unlikely is

2, the employee having sufficient assets to collect. However wrong someone is, if they haven't assets it's not worthwhile suing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

You could always go to a doctor and get signed off on stress leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I think this is bullying. But you are holding the trump card! I mean, think about it....what can he actually do? You have another job lined up, and you say you don't need a reference. Take his money every week, and smile.

He's an idiot. Be civil. I'd be using phrases like "oh, but this is the way it's always been done, and you never had a problem before!" and leave it at that, don't make a question out of it. No questions, only statements that don't invite reply.

If he gets really shifty, tell him you'll be going to the WRC. But make sure you have a list of incidents as evidence. What was said, by whom and when for each occasion.

Don't walk out, you're only depriving yourself. And its only giving him ammunition.

Stay strong and resolute, and try not to look deflated, bullies thrive on that. There's only five weeks to go!!!

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

He may be being a dick to get you to leave early saving himself a months wages. If this suits you maybe have a word about it saying your willing to walk away. If it doesn’t tell him you don’t appreciate his nonsense and won’t be getting involved in it. Then just go in do your bit and go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I would threaten legal action. Your contract of employment is still valid until your notice period is up. From what I remember when studying employment law (I dropped out of that module), if his bullying is proven and it could be reasonably said that it forces you to not serve your notice period, then he cannot sue you for the breach of contract.

Wouln't act on it unless you got professional legal advice. Any other posters feel free to correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

It just goes to show how people differ. I would get so much enjoyment out of this situation; knowing that no matter how bad it gets, I'd be gone in 5 weeks. I would get acquainted with our good friend Passive Aggression or even one of my favorites - Active Neglection. You'll be skipping off into the sunset in no time.

I feel sorry for people in this situation who can't leave their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

Get a sick Cert for the week and let him fcuk himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

You could always go to a doctor and get signed off on stress leave.

Just saw your comment now. I think the poster should do this too

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

It's a hard position to be in op.
    That 6 week's notice isn't worth the ink on paper.

Legally nobody owns you, I've dealt with people like your boss and wiped the floor with them....

Too many employees are putting up with **** these days, I'm old school and probably not very sensitive to dealing with so called jocks and cucks in suit's.

I've studied employment legislation and am able to tie these **** in knots...

I was a bit like yourself year's ago, but that **** hardened me.
    My brother's a barrister so I suppose we're all smart cunning bastard's in my family.

Just ride it out, play the game and leave with dignity...

I made a point of going around to all workers, at least 10 on my final hour and shaking hands with each and every one of them except the boss who decided to dump me out after 6 months in a job.

I just said nothing walking out the door of a very unsatisfactory employment.

Its the best thing to do when faced with a very substandard situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Get s small notebook and keep it on you.
    Everytime something happens openly take it out and write something in it.
    Make it obvious that is a diary of events.

I'd he has any sense he will quit it.

Enjoy dealing with this child OP, you are untouchable and array have a new job. These days any reference just gives your start and end date anyway so you have nothing to fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

GreeBo wrote: »
    Get s small notebook and keep it on you.
    Everytime something happens openly take it out and write something in it.
    Make it obvious that is a diary of events.

I'd he has any sense he will quit it.

Enjoy dealing with this child OP, you are untouchable and array have a new job. These days any reference just gives your start and end date anyway so you have nothing to fear.

You probably said it better than myself, that's probably better advice than mine....

I get a bit of craic winding up these new age managers.

I'd never be hostile dealing with a bad situation if I had my fact's wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

GreeBo wrote:
    Get s small notebook and keep it on you. Everytime something happens openly take it out and write something in it. Make it obvious that is a diary of events.

This exactly. Op, you can have the upper hand. Once you start recording events then you can sinply go out sick due to stress.

Or get out you phone and ask that he repeats what he says to you so you can record it.

Being out your phone everytimr he comes over to you in anticipation.
    He'll get the message then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

doolox wrote: »
    Most bosses are horrible.

Ah yes just like most employees are lazy good for nothings....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

noclue12 wrote: »
    Hi all
    So I handed in my notice two days ago, I had to give 6 weeks notice as per my contract but ever since my boss has been unbearable. It’s a small company with only one other staff member and he is treating me terribly.
    Ignoring me, blaming things on me that aren’t my fault, creating situations where I’ll mess up on purpose or to make me look incompetent. Talking to my co-worker about me, saying horrible things. Being really short and nasty when he does have to talk to me.
    I can’t really go into to much detail but I’m already stressed and feel sick about going back on Monday. Not to mind staying for another 5 weeks.

What happens if I breach my contract and leave early?
    I don’t need references or anything as I’ve already secured another job.

Please any help would be much appreciated

As you say it is a very small company and they tend to be family affairs. Other posters should note this and stop posting nonsense about HR, new age management, legal action and other BS that is not going to happen!

In small companies it is not unusual for colleagues and management to behave in this manner, they take it as a personal rejection of them rather as just someone moving on. That is not an excuse for their behavior, just an explanation.

Depending on your past relationship with this person, perhaps you can have a chat with them and explain it is nothing personal and that you’d like to end on good terms. If not then just walk as there is not much they can do in practical terms about it. It is not a nice thing to have to do, but your health is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Be honest with yourself. Are you completely blameless here? I've been a manager a long time and I've consistently noticed bad employees always lie to themselves about their bad performance. I've also seen a lot of employees who feel they're victims, but really they're just looking at everything in the most negative way possible.

I'm not saying you're lying. I'm saying have a look at your performance and see if there are things you could have done better. Then try not to repeat those in the next job.

If you're going mad, just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

To sue op mfor leaving after two weeks rather than six the employer would need to prove there was a good reason to have six week notice period for op rather than the recommended two. Plus show material evidence that op leaving after two weeks caused a problem for the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

I would email.

Cc HR too.

CC HR in a 3 man company lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sarah1991

I was in a similar situation to you Op. I handed in my notice for a job that I hate a month ago and straight away my boss was horrible to me, he was blaming me for things that he had done wrong and talking about how I was letting down the team to everyone. I honestly didn't know how I was going to cope being there for four more weeks but I just went in each day and did whatever work I had knowing that there was an end in sight and honestly the notice period went very quick in the end. I just focused on the fact that I was earning money every day I was in there and ignored any of the jibes from my boss which I think actually annoyed him more.

Best of luck with things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 noclue12

Thanks everyone for the great advice and not so great(the boss is HR)

Think I’ll see how next week goes, if it’s still stressing me out I’ll have to do something. But if he’s calmed down abit I’ll stay. He doesn’t want me to finish up early.

Regarding breach of contract I’ve no personal assets but the company would loose money if I left early and they didn’t have a replacement yet, so that’s a bit of a issue I suppose.

He’s definitely taking it personally and I suppose is annoyed as I increased the income of the business, and he’ll be loosing that.

Will have to wait and see how it goes Monday. I’m not actually at a desk so it would be really weird if I was sitting taking notes, not part of the job description.

Advertisement