Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband dropping in and out constantly

• 09-02-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

any one else having issues of consistent dropping and very low speeds lately. My broadband is gone absolutely crap, with last few weeks, tonight it keeps dropping and when it connects it's only at 1/2 Mbps.. Have checked speed on laptop as well and same, rebooted modem..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

any one else having issues of consistent dropping and very low speeds lately. My broadband is gone absolutely crap, with last few weeks, tonight it keeps dropping and when it connects it's only at  1/2 Mbps.. Have checked speed on laptop as well and same, rebooted modem..
    What kind of broadband do you have, is it FTTH or via copper wire ADSL ? If you're on ADSL, what I do to see what speed is coming down my line is log into the router at 192.168.1.254, the user name is admin and the password is on the bottom of the router. When you log in look down the page until you see 'speed' and it will say something like download: 8134kbps/512kbps.

Make a note of the above and power off your modem/router, when it restarts log back in and see if the speeds are the same. The reason I say this is, throughout the years, I've had storm damage outside and it affected the line and every time I'd restart the modem the speed stats would be different. If they stay the same after 3 or 4 restarts it's unlikely it's a damaged line. Maybe then change your dns settings and see if it helps.

If you're on Fibre to the home I'm not sure, one of the other guys will give you a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Chattymummy

What kind of broadband do you have, is it FTTH or via copper wire ADSL ? If you're on ADSL, what I do to see what speed is coming down my line is log into the router at 192.168.1.254, the user name is admin and the password is on the bottom of the router. When you log in look down the page until you see 'speed' and it will say something like download: 8134kbps/512kbps.

Make a note of the above and power off your modem/router, when it restarts log back in and see if the speeds are the same. The reason I say this is, throughout the years, I've had storm damage outside and it affected the line and every time I'd restart the modem the speed stats would be different. If they stay the same after 3 or 4 restarts it's unlikely it's a damaged line. Maybe then change your dns settings and see if it helps.

If you're on Fibre to the home I'm not sure, one of the other guys will give you a dig out.

Thanks for that info, I don't have fibre unfortunately, I'm not sure which of the first two options I have.. I'm going to give what you suggested a go. What should I change the dns to? And is it best to leave the modem select automatically the channel I wonder or should I change randomly, would that help maybe?.. Its very frustrating because customer care us so crap.. Appreciate the response.

Thanks for that info, I don't have fibre unfortunately, I'm not sure which of the first two options I have.. I'm going to give what you suggested a go. What should I change the dns to? And is it best to leave the modem select automatically the channel I wonder or should I change randomly, would that help maybe?.. Its very frustrating because customer care us so crap.. Appreciate the response.
    I wouldn't touch any settings within the router itself, just see the speed results after a few restarts. To change your dns settings, if you're using windows 10, click the  start/windows button in the bottom left hand corner, then click on the settings button, it's just above the power button and it's in the shape of a cog wheel. When you click on the setting button, then click the option for 'network and interent.' From there, click on 'status' on the left hand side of the screen, then on the right hand side of the screen, click on 'change adapter options.' A box will pop up with adapter options, if you're using wifi, click  on the wifi box once to highlight it, then rick click it and from the options available click on 'properties.' When the next box appears, look for  'Internet protocol Version 4 (Tcp/IPv4) and hightlight it by clicking on it once, it will turn blue, then click on the 'properties' button just below it. 
    From there, look to the bottom option and and select 'Use the following dns server address.' In the box that says 'preferred dns server,' put a '1' in each of the boxes, it will look like this 1.1.1.1 then click on OK and close all boxes down. See if you're internet is any better. I have mine set like this for the last few months and it has been a lot better for me.

If you want to revert back to original settings, just follow the steps above and select 'obtain dns server address automatically.' No harm done.

The above is just scratching the surface as it could be many things affecting your speed. Did you try a speed test with a phone as well as your laptop, or try a speed test with multiple phones etc... just to make sure it's not the actual device causing the slow speeds.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted!

I wouldn't touch any settings within the router itself, just see the speed results after a few restarts. To change your dns settings, if you're using windows 10, click the  start/windows button in the bottom left hand corner, then click on the settings button, it's just above the power button and it's in the shape of a cog wheel. When you click on the setting button, then click the option for 'network and interent.' From there, click on 'status' on the left hand side of the screen, then on the right hand side of the screen, click on 'change adapter options.' A box will pop up with adapter options, if you're using wifi, click  on the wifi box once to highlight it, then rick click it and from the options available click on 'properties.' When the next box appears, look for  'Internet protocol Version 4 (Tcp/IPv4) and hightlight it by clicking on it once, it will turn blue, then click on the 'properties' button just below it. 
    From there, look to the bottom option and and select 'Use the following dns server address.' In the box that says 'preferred dns server,' put a '1' in each of the boxes, it will look like this 1.1.1.1 then click on OK and close all boxes down. See if you're internet is any better. I have mine set like this for the last few months and it has been a lot better for me.

If you want to revert back to original settings, just follow the steps above and select 'obtain dns server address automatically.' No harm done.

The above is just scratching the surface as it could be many things affecting your speed. Did you try a speed test with a phone as well as your laptop, or try a speed test with multiple phones etc... just to make sure it's not the actual device causing the slow speeds.

Good luck I hope you get it sorted![/qphone

Great thank you so for that.. Yeap I checked phone, android box, and laptop, all showing very low speeds, going to change DNS first and go from there. ðŸ‘

Good luck I hope you get it sorted![/qphone

Great thank you so for that.. Yeap I checked phone, android box, and laptop, all showing very low speeds, going to change DNS first and go from there. ðŸ‘
    Yes just try change the the dns on your laptop first and have a browse and see what happens. Did you log in the router and see what speed it's saying you're getting  ?

• Advertisement

Yes just try change the the dns on your laptop first and have a browse and see what happens. Did you log in the router and see what speed it's saying you're getting  ?

No, internet keeps dropping on me still, must be the weather, although I'm not fully convinced..

No, internet keeps dropping on me still, must be the weather, although I'm not fully convinced..
    The weather wouldn't affect it under any circumstances unless the cable outside your house is damaged. The cable outside my house was damaged and when it rained or was windy it caused major dropouts. As I said, an indication of this would be to log into your router by opening up  your browser on your laptop and typing into the address bar at the top 192.168.1.254 then put admin for the user name and at the bottom of your router you will find the password. When you log in look at the speed and make a note of it, restart your modem/router and log back in and see if the speed stats are different. If they are different, it probably is a damage outside the house. I have experience of this multiple times over the past 6 years or so. Also if you have a house phone and there is a crackle from  it when your talking to someone, that's  an indication of a damaged line outside too.

You're better off ringing eir, they will do a line test and if they see a fault, they will send an engineer out. It's tough dealing with eir I know, but looks like you'll have to engage with them on the 1901 on Monday.

Advertisement