Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pocophone still worth buying?

• 10-02-2019 1:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭

I have a mi a1, I was gonna upgrade to the mi a2 but I see some people selling the Pocophone on adverts for less then 350 brand new... I see it can be got slightly cheaper elsewhere online though. At this time point is the phone still worth it?

I'm looking at about 220 for the mi a2, it has android one program which I like. I don't really like the idea that the Pocophone has a skin and also I'm concerned about non regular updates. I have had NEXUS devices and android one devices and I am accustomed to bare bones android with monthly updates. I see the Pocophone got android Pie in December but is that the end of the road for it since it may have hit the end of it's update cycle. If it was Android one it would get 2 years guaranteed updates which sadly it is not, therefore I'm assuming it may not see any newer iterations of android.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

As it is a new product rage from xiaomi, it is hard to know how many android upgrades it is due or will get.

Redmi series only get one android version upgrade.

Where the Mi series gets at least two.

Edit: - [XDA] The Pocophone F1 will be updated to at least Android Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I wouldn't recommend buying a phone in this day and age that doesn't have NFC? It's the one feature that has made phones more useful in the past 10 years. I couldn't look past it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend buying a phone in this day and age that doesn't have NFC? It's the one feature that has made phones more useful in the past 10 years. I couldn't look past it.

Thought that it would be a major PITH when I first got the phone, not being able to pay at Tesco or whatever by holding the phone up to the card machine. .

But in reality, I don't miss it one iota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

It's a great phone battery life is excellent. Interface is fast I use Nova as my launcher. I haven't had any issue with the installed apps never used them.
    As for NFC had it on my op3 but don't miss it at all. For the price it's well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

I can't make up my mind between the F1 or the mi8. I did have an mi5 a while back and the battery was a pain point, especially after a year or so, which is making me think the F1 may be the better option with the 4000mh battery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Poco having a headphone jack was my major reason for getting it over the mi8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

sioda wrote: »
    Poco having a headphone jack was my major reason for getting it over the mi8

The mi a2 does not have the phone jack either and this is another reason why I am considering the Pocophone to.

I will probably get the Poco instead of the mi a2 now, just want to familiarize myself abit with MIUI first to see if there is somthing about it that I cannot live with first.

Assuming this phone does not get monthly security updates right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Poco appears to have very poor water resistance however, which was the main reason I steered away from one.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

I've a friend deliberating over the Note 7 (I think he should wait for the Pro version) or the pocophone?

Any downsides to the poco I should tell him about? is the camera ok on it? i know it won't be brilliant but ok would do.

Or would the note 7 pro be a better phone when it gets released?

the pocophone camera gets better when you use a google camera "gcam" app. you can find the best version to download from xda probably.

camera2api is enabled on the pocophone so no need to do other messing around to get the google camera to work.

there are already photo samples out for the note 7 pro - check youtube - not earth shattering or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

cheers I'll let him know. I'd go pocophone myself but he doesn't like the notch but that's on the note 7 too so I think it's just down to picking the best of the two

thanks again!

I bought the Pocophone, best phone I ever had. Nice to have a phone that can handle any task you throw at it. Awesome performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

I bought the Pocophone, best phone I ever had. Nice to have a phone that can handle any task you throw at it. Awesome performance!
    Is it bright I've a mi max 2 from when it came out, really good monster of a yoke but outside it's dull

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Timmaay wrote: »
    Poco appears to have very poor water resistance however, which was the main reason I steered away from one.

I never thought that would be a requirement for a phone

Is it bright I've a mi max 2 from when it came out, really good monster of a yoke but outside it's dull

It's pretty bright to me, check the review on gsmarena or YouTube and they will give you an indication of how bright it is.

Advertisement