Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can a plane go in an emergency from America to Europe?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

basill wrote: »
    If you want to educate yourself on this then google North Atlantic Track System and fill your boots.

I presume you mean North Atlantic Organised Track System? Which, if I remember correctly, is a structured set of transatlantic flight routes that stretch from the northeast of North America to western Europe across the Atlantic Ocean. They ensure aircraft are separated over the ocean, where there is little radar coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Effects wrote: »
    I presume you mean North Atlantic Organised Track System? Which, if I remember correctly,is a structured set of transatlantic flight routes that stretch from the northeast of North America to western Europe across the Atlantic Ocean. They ensure aircraft are separated over the ocean, where there is little radar coverage.

:pac::pac::pac:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Atlantic_Tracks

Yes, that’s the one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Effects wrote: »
    I presume you mean North Atlantic Organised Track System? Which, if I remember correctly, is a structured set of transatlantic flight routes that stretch from the northeast of North America to western Europe across the Atlantic Ocean. They ensure aircraft are separated over the ocean, where there is little radar coverage.

If you want to be a pedant then do so elsewhere.
    And if posting about remembering correctly try not to use the exact phrase from the wikipedia article.

Tenger wrote: »
    If you want to be a pedant then do so elsewhere.
    And if posting about remembering correctly try not to use the exact phrase from the wikipedia article.

It was a joke. Sorry you didn't pick up on that like everyone else. Quoting the exact phrase is necessary. And I plucked it straight from google, not wikipedia.

I'm hugely appreciative of Basill's posts as he/she knows what they're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Thargor wrote: »
    When a plane is hugging land as described here can you look out and see Greenland, Iceland etc or are you still out at sea? Never thought about that tbh, need to plan for that on my next flight over if it is the case, Id easily do an extra couple of hours on a plane for a look at Greenland, will probably never see it otherwise.
    duskyjoe wrote: »
    No they don’t hug land...
    Some days going to Florida, the first bit of land fall after coasting out from Ireland will be the Florida coastline...

Not entirely relevant, but anyway:

True story.
    A friend of mine was flying to Florida for a 2 week holiday on 3rd September 2001.
    Pilot came on the intercom: "Ladies & Gentlemen, hope you're enjoying etc etc etc. We're now approaching the E coast of the USA, in fact, those of you seated on the right hand side of the plane, if you look out your windows you can just make out the twin towers of the World Trade Centre in NY city"
    My friend was sitting on the left of the plane. He was wondering if he should try to go over to the other side to have a look.
    "Ah sure," he said to himself, "I'll see them on the way back."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭hopeso

trellheim wrote: »
    Have a look at the website FR24 ... here's the pond

https://www.flightradar24.com/55.45,-37.08/5

as you can see you are not alone !

No, but you may as well be alone...Which of them is going to stop and help you if you get into difficulty mid Atlantic? :D:D:D

Not entirely relevant, but anyway:

True story.
    A friend of mine was flying to Florida for a 2 week holiday on 3rd September 2001.

Can you post travel documents to back this claim up?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,994 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Isn't there a plane with a detachable cabin? It slides off the Jetliner that is going down, it then deploys parachutes and gentle floats to earth.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

OK so the last 3 posts have been idiotic comments or attempts to be funny.
    I think the OPs question has been answered at this point

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement