Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland Leisure membership query

Options
  • 10-02-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭

I have looked at the site, but FAQ doesn't cover my query.
    I am a CI member, have a current leisure licence, and am a member of a club in Dublin, is it possible to also be a member of another club in a different county, also with a leisure licence ?
    Have been riding out with a club for the last 3 Sunday's down in Wexford but they have a 3 spin rule, then you have to sign up to ride with them , unfortunately they don't accommodate "associated membership"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your CI licence covers you for insurance for all non competitive events and even your commute to/from work if you consider it training.
    As a club are we covered to take out non-Cycling Ireland members with us?

Non-members are allowed to take part in up to 3 club spins and they will be covered for insurance provided they sign in officially before each spin. After 3 spins the non-member will need to take out membership or they will not be covered for insurance.

As above the three try rule is from CI nationally not a club rule when it comes to insurance. My understanding is if you pay their membership fee you should be golden. What club you enter on the CI portal is just a convenience for leisure riders, again as I understand it. Maybe post GDPR you'll have to OK CI to disclose your status to the Wexford club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

From my reading of the Technical Rules, a person can only have one licence.

Rule G1/4

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

It was my understanding that you can't be a member of two clubs if racing competitively but it was different if leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Eamonnator wrote: »
    From my reading of the Technical Rules, a person can only have one licence.

Rule G1/4

But can the one license allow me to be a leisure member of 2 clubs?

secman wrote: »
    But can the one license allow me to be a leisure member of 2 clubs?

No, your licence only allows you to be a member of one club.

Your problem is with the Wexford club.
    If they allow you to cycle with them, your C.I. membership gives you the same insurance as everybody else in the group.

• Advertisement

Strange. I know at least 3 leisure cyclists who are (openly) members of two different clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

I would have thought it doesn't matter. Once you have a CI license and its affiliated with a club, then anything you do after that doesn't really matter.

You could in theory join every other leisure club in the country, but you would still receive the entitlements from the CI license as well as any additional local club member benefits. You would have to join the extra clubs directly, outside of the CI portal.

Just speculating though..

Strange. I know at least 3 leisure cyclists who are (openly) members of two different clubs.

Have they two licences?

Have they two licences?
    I don't know but I doubt it.

Just thinking also aren't there members of Audax Ireland who are also members of their 'local' club?

(I'm assuming Audax Ireland is a club in its own right?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Yeah, lots of AI members are also local club members.

Not sure which is their 'parent' club though, or if that matters.

• Advertisement

Strava even have a feature where you can list your 'primary' club.

I realise that's irrelevant to Ireland but it must be common in other larger populated areas.

I don't know but I doubt it.

Just thinking also aren't there members of Audax Ireland who are also members of their 'local' club?

(I'm assuming Audax Ireland is a club in its own right?)

As I read the OP, the problem is that the Wexford club won't accept "associated membership"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭jamesd

Our club have 4 members that are CI members and their main club is another club, all we do is ask to see their CI license and ask them to pay our club fee directly to us.
    They then can buy our club kit, join our WhatsApp, and so on.

As I read the OP, the problem is that the Wexford club won't accept "associated membership"
    ....but perhaps will accept full membership?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

It was my understanding that you can't be a member of two clubs if racing competitively but it was different if leisure.
    I know of one who races MTB with one club and road with another. Since his CI licence is with with the MTB club first, he has to race under their colours even when road racing.

AFAIK, you only have one licence with Cycling Ireland but you can be in as many clubs as you wish. Perhaps contact the Wexford club secretary to see if the rule is in place from an insurance or club perspective.

....but perhaps will accept full membership?

That would solve the problem, but then OP would have to transfer clubs.
    Can you do that, if you have already taken out a licence with another club?

edit:
    Answering my own question. Technical Rules G2, if both clubs agree, a member may transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

My club in Waterford have about 6 dual members who for various reasons are registered with another club through Cycling Ireland. They are also members of our club and pay the annual membership fee.
    Their CI License covers insurance on club spins so their is no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I was a racing member of one club but also just a member of another club who I cycled with mid week. No issue at all. In the case with the OP it looks like the Wexford club just don't want non club members in their spins.

jamesd wrote: »
    Our club have 4 members that are CI members and their main club is another club, all we do is ask to see their CI license and ask them to pay our club fee directly to us.
    They then can buy our club kit, join our WhatsApp, and so on.

That's exactly what I am looking to do, pay the club fee, buy the club gear and spin with them when I'm down, which is every Sunday at he least.

I was a racing member of one club but also just a member of another club who I cycled with mid week. No issue at all. In the case with the OP it looks like the Wexford club just don't want non club members in their spins.

They say i have to join the club, ive no issue with that, so long as CI don't have any issues with it. They don't want someone riding with them without membership and club colours.
    I will gladly sign up, use my wexford address but will the one license allow this?

• Advertisement

That would solve the problem, but then OP would have to transfer clubs.
    Can you do that, if you have already taken out a licence with another club?

edit:
    Answering my own question. Technical Rules G2, if both clubs agree, a member may transfer.

Not looking to transfer, I'm in Dublin mid week, a member of a club, have a leisure licence, I'm in Wexford at the weekends, it makes sense to ride with local club touring group , take out club membership, buy the club gear, and have the 1 leisure licence.
    As well as the Audax example, are some riders members of a local club and IVCA ?

Yes, one CI Licence covers membership of more than one club.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I know of one who races MTB with one club and road with another. Since his CI licence is with with the MTB club first, he has to race under their colours even when road racing.

AFAIK, you only have one licence with Cycling Ireland but you can be in as many clubs as you wish. Perhaps contact the Wexford club secretary to see if the rule is in place from an insurance or club perspective.

I know a number of guys in this position - in fact I am about to join a road club but will still remain a member of a MTB club! Can't see why there would be an issue - your CI licence is not dependant on being a member of a club!

C3PO wrote: »
    I know a number of guys in this position - in fact I am about to join a road club but will still remain a member of a MTB club! Can't see why there would be an issue - your CI licence is not dependant on being a member of a club!

That's true. You can be a member of CI and be unattached (not a club member).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

You can only be a member of one cycling club through CI. You can only race in your club kit. You can be an associate member of as many clubs as you like.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You are allowed to be a member of as many clubs as you like, subject to the rules of the clubs in question, but the leisure (or racing) licence can only be issued in connection with one club

So, for example, I know of people (and indeed posters around here) who are "CI" members of one club, and "affiliate" members of our club. We know they have racing licences that allow them to race our league, and they can join our spins if they wish. Their CI insurance is via their CI club though. Club membership and who they allow in is down to the club itself (and we also have members that do not cycle and are therefore not CI members, as well as IVCA members)

secman wrote: »
    ...As well as the Audax example, are some riders members of a local club and IVCA ?
    IVCA is more of a governing body than a club. For example, if doing a sportive you need to be a member of CI or IVCA.

I know of one who races MTB with one club and road with another...
    Would that not be a bit like playing hurling with one club and football with another? Would the GAA allow that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Would that not be a bit like playing hurling with one club and football with another? Would the GAA allow that?

Often happens in my home county(Mayo) where there are only a handful of hurling clubs. I played football with my village team but played hurling with the club in the nearest town. Was kinda strange where you could be boxing the head off a lad on a Tuesday night in a big ball game and fight for each other on a Wednesday. Happened where two lads were sent off for fighting each other in a football game and played midfield together in the hurling the following night.

• Advertisement

Would that not be a bit like playing hurling with one club and football with another? Would the GAA allow that? :confused:

Yes, but he races both MTB and road in the same colours(his mtb club)

Advertisement