Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Ireland Leisure membership query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Surely its just their own club fee they want you to pay (and fair enough if so)? There is no reason for them to care who is on your leisure licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Surely its just their own club fee they want you to pay (and fair enough if so)? There is no reason for them to care who is on your leisure licence.

Absolutely no problem with the club fee and buying club gear, that's what I want to do, just wasn't sure if it was possible to be in 2 clubs using the one license, a leisure one.

Just an update;

I 've completed the Wexford club membership application form, sent it off to the club secretary with a copy of my current CI leisure license, which incidentally doesn't mention any club name, and a cheque for club fee. Used my wexford address on the application form.

See how it sails :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

secman wrote: »
    Just an update;

I 've completed the Wexford club membership application form, sent it off to the club secretary with a copy of my current CI leisure license, which incidentally doesn't mention any club name, and a cheque for club fee. Used my wexford address on the application form.

You're golden

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Just an update;

You will still be in your regular club. What the new sec might do is think you are looking for a transfer (when they try to add you they will see your other club membership) and transfer you on the system.
    Or they could just think you're looking for associate membership so it doesn't matter either way but you're still gonna be reg'd with your original club.

• Advertisement

nee wrote: »
    You will still be in your regular club. What the new sec might do is think you are looking for a transfer (when they try to add you they will see your other club membership) and transfer you on the system.
    Or they could just think you're looking for associate membership so it doesn't matter either way but you're still gonna be reg'd with your original club.

I'm not trying to be deceitful, i am trying to be a non racing member of both clubs using my CI leisure licence, so i can ride with one mid week and the other on weekends and be covered, not really that complicated !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I'm not trying to be deceitful, i am trying to be a non racing member of both clubs using my CI leisure licence, so i can ride with one mid week and the other on weekends and be covered, not really that complicated !

Ah yeah, but you could just be a regular member of one and an associate of another, no need to omit details or not tell one about the other! It'll settle itself out anyway.

nee wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but you could just be a regular member of one and an associate of another, no need to omit details or not tell one about the other! It'll settle itself out anyway.

The wexford club don't do associate membership, have to be a full member, which I don't have a problem with.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Club sec just needs to stop being awkward.

ED E wrote: »
    Club sec just needs to stop being awkward.

I spoke to the club touring group captain this evening , whom I know well enough, and explained it to him, hopefully this will help.

• Advertisement

Further update, CI confirmed in writing this morning , you can only be a full member of one club but can be associate member of any amount of clubs. Unfortunately both clubs involved are only offering full membership, and wont do associate membership :(
    Real pity as it would be ideal to ride with one midweek and the other on weekends .
    aaaaaaaaaaaah

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

It's crazy that you're willing to pay the club in question a full membership fee and they're going to throw it back in your face. Surely they should be taking every opportunity to help grow the sport and their own numbers, we're well past the peak at this stage in terms of participation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Further update, CI confirmed in writing this morning , you can only be a full member of one club but can be associate member of any amount of clubs. Unfortunately both clubs involved are only offering full membership, and wont do associate membership :(
    Real pity as it would be ideal to ride with one midweek and the other on weekends .
    aaaaaaaaaaaah

I think this might be a case of misunderstood wording. I've never heard of any club offering "associate membership". You can join as many clubs as you like, as a full member, but CI will only list one club on your licence and you're only allowed race for that club. I think what CI might mean by "associate" membership is being a regular member of that club, but it not being the club on your licence, if you get what I mean.

I was secretary of my own club for several years and we had a few people whose primary registration was with other clubs. They just joined our club as regular members, like everyone else.

Exact wording received by email this morning from CI , sports administrator :
    You can only be a member of one club at a time, but you can be an associate member of as many clubs as you like. So we would recommend getting onto the club in question , NAME in this case and become an associate member. If they don't do associate membership then you can join the Wexford club and be an associate of Dublin club NAME. That is the only way to do it. The club secretaries should be able to help you.
    All the best
    Signed
    Sports Administrator

I had a look at the CI rules and it really is geared utterly for competition riders. It mentions membership and transfers. But it doesn't appear to really cater for non competition riders and I could not find any mention of associate membership anywhere in the document.
    I have sent a query back to CI querying the associate membership.
    By the way I have No problem with the rule document being predominantly geared towards racing, as by it's nature it requires a lot of rules.

Update No. I've lost count. :)
    Just received another email from CI after my last query
    Exact wording as received:

I would say you could just ask the club you don't want to transfer to (Name) and tell them you will pay them membership to ride with them ? It seems strange they don't want to take your money. Unfortunately you can only be a member of one club with Cycling ireland .
    I would just ask the (Name) club if you can ride with them if you give them the money. You are covered by your Cycling Ireland licence for anything that might happen irrespective of what club you are in, so it won't adversely affect them in the event of something going wrong.
    Try and appeal to the secretary or chairperson, that's all the advice I can give you I'm afraid.

All the best
    Signed
    Sports Administrator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

CI are useless, club wants full members to give them more votes (is that still a thing?)/bigger numbers.

Maybe see if the dublin club are happy to have associate members and go full with wexford crowd.

I'm in two clubs, mtb and road, one full and one associate.

Ive been in two mtb clubs before to give ci members to a struggling club who needed ci members for funding.

Who cares at that level of leisure cycling, red tape clowns.

Update eile

Got a text from a friend in the Wexford club, who I sent a copy of the last email from CI to. He had a conversation with the Wexford club chairman tonight, and he doesn't see a problem with me joining the club based on the insurance clarification from CI, happy days. So common sense prevails, I'll be a member of both clubs, covered by CI licence wherever i ride but only listed in CI as a member of the Dublin club.
    Chuffed.
    2 sound groups to cycle with :)

Advertisement