Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings - deposit guarantee limit and transferring money, where to?

• 10-02-2019 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I'd appreciate some advice please. If a credit union account reaches the deposit guarantee limit and you therefore want to transfer the savings elsewhere to continue saving into that account, is this as straight forward as simply transferring online? Or do you have to give notice for a large amount? Is there a limit on how much you can transfer at once? I have never taken money out before so no experience with this.

Any suggestions on the best place to transfer the money to? Unfortunately I can't commit to long term options at this stage as I would hope to use the money within the next year. I doubt there's much value to be had in relatively short term savings accounts, but I'm only looking for safe and risk free options. A bank or building society? Another credit union?

I'll be grateful for any guidance offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Ask your credit union

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Hi - have a read of the info here. This may help you decide on a destination.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/savings-best-buys.90481/

As regards the other part of your question - credit unions have different rules so your own credit union will be best placed to guide you. There almost certainly will be a daily limit. Many will permit online transfers but u may have to sign up to do that.

All the best.

Advertisement