Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Lainey, you may as well stop replying to them, they're goading you at this stage, particularly Greebo. They know full well what the score is, probably up to their necks in debt terrified of a slump or involved in the property business.

Take care and hope your circumstances improve soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

s
    klaaaz wrote: »
    Seriously doubt there is a sub 200k house in Walkinstown!

Where is the sub 200k house in Clonsilla? 2nd time asking.

sorry, I didnt realise your google was broken.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/dublin-15/property-for-sale-in-clonsilla?maxprice=200000
    4 results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

GreeBo wrote: »

Nope, that's zero results for a house under 200k in Clonsilla. What you provided was 2 1 Bed apartments asking around 180k which come with high management fees.

If you go back to post 293 you can find the 233 houses that were for sale in Dublin for 200K and under.

Oh wait, its actually 236 now.
    88 under 175K
    30 under 150K
    43under 125K
    1 under 100K

But there is nothing affordable available if you do your house searching on boards.ie rather than a property website.

If you go back to post 293 you can find the 233 houses that were for sale in Dublin for 200K and under.

Oh wait, its actually 236 now.
    88 under 175K
    30 under 150K
    43under 125K
    1 under 100K

But there is nothing affordable available if you do your house searching on boards.ie rather than a property website.

You're backtracking now, initially you said there were houses under 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown when there are none. Now you are stating the entire Dublin area for the house search. Which houses sub 200k do you recommend to live in?

• Advertisement

Nope, that's zero results for a house under 200k in Clonsilla. What you provided was 2 1 Bed apartments asking around 180k which come with high management fees.

So now you will only live in a house, an apartment isn't good enough anymore?

We've gone from "there is nowhere for me to live, its a basic human right" to "ohh but I'd like it in green please".

It's no wonder there is little sympathy around.

You're backtracking now, initially you said there were houses under 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown when there are none. Now you are stating the entire Dublin area for the house search. Which houses sub 200k do you recommend to live in?

How can I possibly be backtracking when I'm repeating the exact point I made in post 293 on post 729?

In any case, the user I was responding to, is more than happy to live in an apartment, she just cant find one somewhere "safe".

So now you will only live in a house, an apartment isn't good enough anymore?

We've gone from "there is nowhere for me to live, its a basic human right" to "ohh but I'd like it in green please".

It's no wonder there is little sympathy around.
    How can I possibly be backtracking when I'm repeating the exact point I made in post 293 on post 729?

In any case, the user I was responding to, is more than happy to live in an apartment, she just cant find one somewhere "safe".

You stated houses not apartments available for under 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown where there are none available.

In your now expanded search of Dublin, which houses sub 200k do you recommend to live in?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

<MOD SNIP>

I have far more than a 3rd level qualification, thanks. I am on the housing list, as I've already stated.

Can you not get hap then, if you are on the housing list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Yurt! wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious? For the most part they're hoovering up existing stock and putting it back on the market at a higher rental yield. They're not investing in new built REITs which I have no particular objection to.

I'm not weeping for landlords getting out of the market - there are a lot of them who shouldn't be in the game. I can think of a few in my college and post-college days who should have been reported to Revenue. That's not all of them, but there are plenty of cowboys out there as you should well know.

That's not removing the house from the housing stock, that's land hoarding you're talking about. A landlord providing a rental property to people who want to rent is adding to the stock.

Developers build them, landlords buy them.

Nobody is asking you to weep for them but landlords provide a service that is high in demand yet people are trying to discourage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sure they do, if you don't work at all and have children. I think you'll find it isn't a real option for most working, childless professionals.

Not so. I work for an agency that provides social housing and the people in our homes are mostly working. We even have childless people too! I'm sure you would more than qualify only you might be living in those areas you think are beneath you.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Not so. I work for an agency that provides social housing and the people in our homes are mostly working. We even have childless people too! I'm sure you would more than qualify only you might be living in those areas you think are beneath you.

It's a longer wait for childless singletons though, families are priority in social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

When you have wild swings in property prices in a relatively short period of time you are inevitably going to get 'winners' and 'losers'.

People who bought at the dip/trough tend give themselves excess credit for their saving habits and expert property acumen, and discount the any impact that fortuitous timing had.

For people who reach the age/career level to buy around the time of a housing price peak, the opposite tends to be true. It's mostly down to bad luck and don't take a look at their own saving habits.

Of course the truth tends to lie in the middle somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If you are intelligent enough to work in something like software development, that's luck.

People can get unlucky with their health for example but this is completely delusional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

People can get unlucky with their health for example but this is completely delusional.

Agree. People can get lucky I suppose with some of their circumstances when it comes to buying property but it certainly doesn't come without some level of sacrifice for the vast majority of home owners. Some have to work harder at it than others obviously for many reasons. But this obsession with Luck that keeps getting repeated over and over in this thread is bizzare. The first 3rd of this thread was interesting, the rest has been a cesspool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

It's delusional to think that not everyone is intelligent enough to be a programmer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

What decisions of the government are impacting supply and demand of houses?

Unless you are specifically talking about social housing, which is NOT what is under discussion here.
    And even then, social housing is not going to magically popup in some greenfield site that we all forgot about in the city centre.

Your being very disingenuous Greebo.

You know very well the inflation of house prices is, has been, and will continue to be a Fine Gael strategy. It was architected perfectly by Michael Noonan ho gave tax breaks and incentives for foreign firms to start buying up residential. Over the period 2014-2016, about a fifth of house purchases were by private equity. This was a deliberate strategy to shore up the banks balance sheet (to get AIB ready for IPO) and to shore up the "moaning" fine gael voters torribly inflicted by negative equity.

It suited Fine Gael to solve the problem when they had skin in the game, and when the housing crisis affected their affluent roots. It doesn't suit them to fix it now.

And why are you citing the MyHome website. Look at the price property register for the locations you have mentioned. Example: Walkinstown. Tell us how many houses were sold less than 200,000? How many below 250,000? The answer is zero and less than 10, respectively.

Perhaps you might get your facts straight

pwurple wrote: »

I'd go to an independent career guidance professional. Show them what you have in terms of qualifications, take skills and aptitude tests, and look for progression advice.

I wouldn't waste my money on them - most of them are failed hacks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Ush1 wrote: »
    That's not removing the house from the housing stock, that's land hoarding you're talking about. A landlord providing a rental property to people who want to rent is adding to the stock.

Developers build them, landlords buy them.

Nobody is asking you to weep for them but landlords provide a service that is high in demand yet people are trying to discourage it.

I didn't say it's removing stock from the market, I said BTLs are unlikely to add to it, and are more likely to drive up rents than than see them go down. Newly minted landlords are seeking yields, particularly when they have higher interest rates attached to their mortgage, they have to outbid couples or singletons seeking a home, they will charge more rent to cover their asses.

Again, when landlords leave the market, it's not as if the unit or units dissapear into thin air. If we were to disincentivize a certain type of landlordism, particularly the type that doesn't look for long term steady yields, the house is more likely to end up in the hands of a hard working couple or single person, and they might not have to overextended themselves with credit trying to outbid hoarders. A net good for society in my book.

Not strictly advocating this, and it would have to be callobrated carefully - but I think domestic housing investors maybe should be pushed towards REITs and let professionals handle the day to day of things.

• Advertisement

You stated houses not apartments available for under 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown where there are none available.

In your now expanded search of Dublin, which houses sub 200k do you recommend to live in?

House as I the generic term for places to live.
    Again I was directly responding to a poster who has stated they are are happy to live in an apartment in Dublin. There is no expanded search, no conspiracy theory, the available "buildings you can live in" are there for all to see on various websites.

Your obsession with houses is part of the problem, not everyone can afford a house, so what? Posters are blue in the face comparing us to other countries...what building type are the poor living in in those countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

Again I was directly responding to a poster who has stated they are are happy to live in an apartment in Dublin. There is no expanded search, no conspiracy theory, the available "buildings you can live in" are there for all to see on various websites.

Your obsession with houses is part of the problem, not everyone can afford a house, so what? Posters are blue in the face comparing us to other countries...what building type are the poor living in in those countries?

You keep referring to people on average incomes as 'the poor'. You think shop workers are on 50k. This is why your argument is completely ridiculous.

You had consistently said houses were specifically available for sub 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown when they are not..

Are you admitting you were wrong?

Your being very disingenuous Greebo.

You know very well the inflation of house prices is, has been, and will continue to be a Fine Gael strategy. It was architected perfectly by Michael Noonan ho gave tax breaks and incentives for foreign firms to start buying up residential. Over the period 2014-2016, about a fifth of house purchases were by private equity. This was a deliberate strategy to shore up the banks balance sheet (to get AIB ready for IPO) and to shore up the "moaning" fine gael voters torribly inflicted by negative equity.

It suited Fine Gael to solve the problem when they had skin in the game, and when the housing crisis affected their affluent roots. It doesn't suit them to fix it now.

And why are you citing the MyHome website. Look at the price property register for the locations you have mentioned. Example: Walkinstown. Tell us how many houses were sold less than 200,000? How many below 250,000? The answer is zero and less than 10, respectively.

Perhaps you might get your facts straight

Yep fine Gael have a secret plan to cause a housing bubble alright, they saw how well it worked for fianna fail I guess.

First 3 pages of price register for Dublin I found 20 properties for 200k and under sold during 2018. How's that for facts?

Yep fine Gael have a secret plan to cause a housing bubble alright, they saw how well it worked for fianna fail I guess.

First 3 pages of price register for Dublin I found 20 properties for 200k and under sold during 2018. How's that for facts?

3 pages out of how many pages Greebo? Now tell the truth Greebo?

Now your contradicting yourself. Earlier you said there was no bubble, now there is a bubble. Which is it?

And if you owned a bank, I'm sure you'd have no interest in sustaining high house prices.

You had consistently said houses were specifically available for sub 200k in Clonsilla and Walkinstown when they are not..

Are you admitting you were wrong?

2 houses and 3 apartments for 210k and under in clonsilla at the moment...

3 pages out of how many pages Greebo? Now tell the truth Greebo?

Now your contradicting yourself. Earlier you said there was no bubble, now there is a bubble. Which is it?

And if you owned a bank, I'm sure you'd have no interest in sustaining high house prices.

The first 3 I looked at.
    If I went further I'm sure I could make you look even sillier. Pays to do your research before posting .

You are saying there is a bubble and that the evil government are creating it.

Sorry, who owns a bank?

The first 3 I looked at.
    If I went further I'm sure I could make you look even sillier. Pays to do your research before posting .

You are saying there is a bubble and that the evil government are creating it.

Sorry, who owns a bank?

Just did it...
    18531 results in Dublin in 2018...50 results per page means

3 pages (200k) versus 367 pages (200k +)

You get your facts straight

Do you not understand the difference between asking price and transaction price?

• Advertisement

So it's 210k now, which property website are you using?

Where are the 200k houses in Walkinstown?

Advertisement