Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can someone in their 30s afford a house - PLEASE READ MOD WARNING IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Just did it...
    18531 results in Dublin in 2018...50 results per page means

3 pages (200k) versus 367 pages (200k +)

You get your facts straight

Yeah I'm not sure what you think those numbers prove, why as you comparing 3 pages to 367 pages for example??

1168 properties sold @ 200k last year in Dublin...again...facts.

Do you not understand the difference between asking price and transaction price?

Indeed, see my post above.
    Over 3 per day under 200k.

klaaaz wrote: »
    So it's 210k now, which property website are you using?

Where are the 200k houses in Walkinstown?

You are just being silly and childish now.

Maybe click on one of the myhome links I've posted several times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

GreeBo wrote: »
    You are just being silly and childish now.

Maybe click on one of the myhome links I've posted several times?

Which one going many pages and hundreds of posts back?

Will you admit that you're wrong that there is no house available for 200k in Walkinstown? I have not found any yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 139 ✭✭alexmalalex

Will you admit that you're wrong that there is no house available for 200k in Walkinstown? I have not found any yet.

There are zero houses for sale in Walkinstown at 200k or under.

Greebo is wrong...wrong, wrong, wrong....

• Advertisement

Yeah you can go ahead and troll someone else, I've answered you multiple times, provided stats and links and you just admitted that you simply can't be bothered to read the thread.

You can join the other two on my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

No offence GreeBo but you’re starting to look ridiculous.

Changing the goal posts while other posters pick you apart. Maybe it’s time to stop posting on this thread.

Unfortunately the property market is in ribbons and you can’t admit it.
    And if you keep replying and denying this you will continue to be picked apart by other posters.

Just my opinion.

Note: These aren’t posters just saving for a house some of the posters here clearly have bought property and can still see the ridiculousness of your argument.

No offence GreeBo but you’re starting to look ridiculous.

Changing the goal posts while other posters pick you apart. Maybe it’s time to stop posting on this thread.

Unfortunately the property market is in ribbons and you can’t admit it.
    And if you keep replying and denying this you will continue to be picked apart by other posters.

Just my opinion.

Note: These aren’t posters just saving for a house some of the posters here clearly have bought property and can still see the ridiculousness of your argument.

Basic, undisputable facts:
    1. More than 3 houses per day sold for 200K or under last year in Dublin.
      PropertyPriceRegister are lying?
      Perhaps they are also in bed with Fine Gael?
    2. Over 230 properties for sale right now in Dublin for 200K or under?
      Myhome.ie also closet Fine Gael supporters?
    3. Posters have said they dont want to live in the only areas that they can afford to live in.

Goalposts are right where they have always been, the facts. Go back 500 posts and you can see the link I posted to myhome for properties in Dublin for 200K. Posters can nit pick and deflect all they want but the facts dont care.

This entire thread can be summed up with one simple word, "entitlement".
    There are affordable houses for sale in Dublin right now, as there have always been, however if you were to believe this thread there are none anywhere due to a combination of FineGael, Sinn Fein, the central bank, county councils, Landlords, people with more than 1 property, BTL, the top few percent, REITs, the Royal family, wealthy foreigners, couples, Marxists, anti-communists, neoclassical economies, bankers, polish workers, "no" rent controls, privilege and of course luck.

It's never anything to do with the person who simply cant afford to live up to their own expectations due to their own choices. Nothing anyone on here or in the government is going to change the fact that poorer people live in poorer areas than wealthier people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You forgot your space shuttles Greebo. That was the best of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Fully admitting to maybe having this all wrong. I do no know Drimnagh much but what would be wrong with this house. It's on at slightly under 250k and has 3 bedrooms which mean the possibility of renting one, it does need work. Would 250k be beyond the reach of a single person on average wages?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/309-errigal-road-drimnagh-dublin-12/4249778

I have seen a similar house renovated and it was fabulous.

• Advertisement

mariaalice wrote: »
    Fully admitting to maybe having this all wrong. I do no know Drimnagh much but what would be wrong with this house. It's on at slightly under 250k and has 3 bedrooms which mean the possibility of renting one, it does need work. Would 250k be beyond the reach of a single person on average wages?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/309-errigal-road-drimnagh-dublin-12/4249778

I have seen a similar house renovated and it was fabulous.

A very similar semi-d 3 bed went for 325 on the same road last year. So unless the market has softened significantly, we're talking more around that price range when all is said and done. Plus your stamp duty, plus 'tlc' money.

Nobody can deny that the goalposts have been well and truly moved.
    My own parents, a factory worker and a person working in retail could buy a house in Drumcondra in Dublin.
    Now there is ONE awful looking 1 bed apartment for 196K.

Its that injustice of not having the same opportunities that hurts the most.

Its even worse that people can't just acknowledge how difficult it is.

In the future, I think it will become more common to see 2 couples or 2 groups of people, put their 2 strongest salaries together and use those to get a mortgage were they can all live under one roof. Thats how serious the crisis is getting.

GreeBo wrote: »
    This entire thread can be summed up with one simple word, "entitlement".

It's also fact that house prices have rose 900% while average income has rose 90% and this makes people entitled by being angry about this ?

If you had to buy medication every month to keep a loved one alive and it cost €100 a month.

Then the prices rose to €900 per month in which case you couldn't afford to keep her alive or you could drive for 4 hours a day and get it for 400 euro a month, do you think you would have a right to be annoyed ?

Imagine I started calling you entitled.

Yurt! wrote: »
    A very similar semi-d 3 bed when for 325 on the same road last year. So unless the market has softened significantly, we're talking more around that price range when all is said and done. Plus your stamp duty, plus 'tlc' money.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/291-brandon-road-drimnagh-dublin-12/4302739

There is a fully renovated one on at 290k

The point is, would that be beyond a single buyer on average salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Ush1 wrote: »
    So what's the median Dublin income per person and the median property price?

On from that, obviously a single person does not need to live in a 3 bed house, so median prices for 1 bed and 2 bed apartments/dwellings.

Mean and median house prices are published by eircode.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-rppi/residentialpropertypriceindexdecember2018/housepricesbyeircode/

The RPPI is published for each LA in Dublin.

CSO (rather unhelpfully) doesn't publish the median, for any part of the country. I read a report last year where I think it was calculated at approx 34-35k nationally.

It would be useful if they did, as 'average income' doesn't tell us a whole lot about the health of the middle class earner.

Same goes for house prices, the CSO have fairly crap data. Which is why we rely on daft.ie rather than an official statistics agency.

Yes, the CSO don't publish median earnings.

Eurostat does publish median earnings for Ireland, see their 2014 SES survey.

Now, you can get median incomes, as distinct from earnings, in the SILC, published by the CSO.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/291-brandon-road-drimnagh-dublin-12/4302739

I'm not trying to be smart here I'm honestly not.

The fact you ask that question is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭abcabc123123

If by average we're talking 45k, then without a rebuilding Ireland loan I'd say its beyond them.

Not sure why a single person really needs a 3 bed house with front and back gardens though...

With the current rules, yes, a 290k house is out of reach of the average full time worker with a 10 or 20 percent deposit.

If by average we're talking 45k, then without a rebuilding Ireland loan I'd say its beyond them.

Not sure why a single person really needs a 3 bed house with front and back gardens though...

Rebuilding Ireland wouldn't touch you.
    Believe me when I say it I've done the research.

• Advertisement

I think we've a lot of posters here completely out of touch with whats affordable and whats not on an average salary.

CSO (rather unhelpfully) doesn't publish the median, for any part of the country. I read a report last year where I think it was calculated at approx 34-35k nationally.

It would be useful if they did, as 'average income' doesn't tell us a whole lot about the health of the middle class earner.

SILC income data, 2017

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc2017/income/

Median household disp income = 39,499

That is after direct taxes and cash transfers.

That is not per person.

For hh where the head person works, the median disp income is 54,227.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

Nobody can deny that the goalposts have been well and truly moved.
    My own parents, a factory worker and a person working in retail could buy a house in Drumcondra in Dublin.
    Now there is ONE awful looking 1 bed apartment for 196K.

Its that injustice of not having the same opportunities that hurts the most.

Its even worse that people can't just acknowledge how difficult it is.

In the future, I think it will become more common to see 2 couples or 2 groups of people, put their 2 strongest salaries together and use those to get a mortgage were they can all live under one roof. Thats how serious the crisis is getting.

What continues to amaze me with some of these posts is that times have moved on. We have a finite amount of land within the city limits to build on. The population is higher than it was in your parents time. If we don't build up we have to build out. If we do build up then people won't get the 3 bed semi.

Whether people accept it or not prices have risen since your parents time, this is as a result of build costs and the quality of the building material, labor costs, land costs etc.

People can afford to purchase with a bit of forward planning. If a person started to save €40 a week after 5 yrs they have €10k if they are a couple this then becomes €20k which is almost enough for a 10% deposit.

I don't accept that a person can't save an average of €40 a week. Granted at the start of a person's working life €40 may be a lot but after 5 yrs working €60 a week should be possible thereby averaging out the €40 per week fig.

I'm not trying to be smart here I'm honestly not.

The fact you ask that question is worrying.

Why ?

There is another point, I was a lone parent before I got married again and its harder to maintain a house on your own and money being tight I had a lot of support from my ex-husband and my brother is a QS so I was not going to get ripped off by builders woman on their own do get fobbed off a man with you different attitude. A new gas boiler could be 1000 euro, for example, so yes it is harder for someone on there own but not impossible as I have seen people do it, live in a hovel and do it up around them take second jobs etc. I also saw someone at the end of the Celtic tiger take out a 100% mortgage and buy an apartment when they had an income where they could have saved but choose not to, now it all came good for them as it very rentable but that was just an accident.

The CBI publishes data on people who get mortgages.

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/new-data-show-that-cb-limits-are-not-preventing-any-ftbs-from-buying-houses.201197/

I don't know where the raw data is.

The typical FTB has a mean income of 64,096 in 2016.

This would be an average of single and couple applicants.

The typical SSB has an income of 103k.

Why ?

There is another point, I was a lone parent before I got married again and its harder to maintain a house on your own and money being tight I had a lot of support from my ex-husband and my brother is a QS so I was not going to get ripped off by builders woman on their own do get fobbed off a man with you different attitude. A new gas boiler could be 1000 euro, for example, so yes it is harder for someone on there own but not impossible as I have seen people do it, live in hovel and do it up around them take second jobs etc.

You're going off the point here.

You asked was a property that costs 290k possible on an average wage for 1 person.

The only way it would be possible is by having a 150k deposit.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Geuze wrote: »
    SILC income data, 2017

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc2017/income/

Median household disp income = 39,499

That is after direct taxes and cash transfers.

That is not per person.

For hh where the head person works, the median disp income is 54,227.

Didn't realize they published this. Any figures for individuals before tax and transfers and not on a household level? I'd imagine It would fall at somewhere between 34-37k looking at the above numbers?

Rebuilding Ireland wouldn't touch you.
    Believe me when I say it I've done the research.

Why would rebuilding Ireland not touch you?

Didn't realize they published this. Any figures for individuals before tax and transfers and not on a household level? I'd imagine It would fall at somewhere between 34-37k looking at the above numbers?

Please note SILC is income data, not earnings data.

No, they start at the household level, and then move down to equivalised per person level.

So the survey is done at hh level.

Then they divide by the no. of people to get the equivalised per person figure.

Note the equivalence scale.

• Advertisement

SILC surveys

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/socialconditions/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc/

2017 survey

https://www.cso.ie/en/csolatestnews/presspages/2018/surveyonincomeandlivingconditions2017/

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/ep/p-silc/surveyonincomeandlivingconditionssilc2017/

Advertisement