Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I catch every illness going when subbing, help

Options
  • 10-02-2019 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi can someone please offer some advice.
    How do you stay healthy during Winter months when working in a school?
    Ive never been one to catch illnesses, ive not been sick in over a year before I started subbing in October, since then ive been sick every couple weeks and since we went to school in January ive been sick every week since. The first week I caught a cold, I then caught a chest infection, I now have another cold. I have been sick every weekend for the past month and I am so drained and tired of feeling this way.
    I have a healthy diet, I wash my hands throughout the day, I take vitamins and supplements but I am still catching everything going.

Any suggestions on how I can help my immune system while teaching? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Maybe try the doctor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No advice as I never found anything that was successful for me in that regard, but I know how you feel. I've never been so well since I left teaching! I think the disgracefully cold temperatures day in day out didn't help, but being in close quarters with so many people is just a recipe for germs spreading. It's inevitable. I think a lot of teachers tend to go in when sick too which obviously makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Lapis Luzali

I dont think the doctor can do anything for a cold, antibiotics dont work for colds and flu's and I dont see the point in paying 60 euro for nothing.

The cold temperatures, extremely warm school and children coming in sick is whats contributing to it, regardless I am worn down at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

a generic over the counter vitamin supplement may not cut it. if you've a health store nearby I'd highly reccomend popping in. Just a basic example is multivitamins have vit D but not all have D3. And so one. Echinea is one I'd look out for too.
    On a practical level keep a good stock of tisses handy and bin as opposed to re-using

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Wash hands more often , anti bac wipes. Vitamin c, crack a window open slightly for some airflow.
    Feel a cold coming on.... two bottles of beer will stave it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

Steaming hot shower everyday after school, wash the day off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Take one of the Seven Seas capsules every morning.

They help you feel much less run down.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I feel your pain. I'm imuno-modulated and work in close contact with very small groups. Nowadays, some small children seem to lack even the most basic cough hygiene. Vitamin D, hand sanitizer on your desk, wash/sanitize your hands after touching banisters, door handles etc.

Advertisement