Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make 2019 the Year of Pollinators

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I've scalped and raked the lawn area which I'm sowing in spring, yellow rattle deployed and here's hoping it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

I’m missed the boat with the website wildflowers.ie their last orders for wildflower seed was the 16th ��

Anywhere else I could source them. I know wildflower.ie was a very trustworthy source of Irish native seeds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Any website with comprehensive info on how to turn a mossy lawn into part wild meadow, part no-dig raised beds? We've a new garden and I was going to put in some groundwork next weekend but there's so much to be done that I don't know where to start.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

s1ippy wrote: »
    Any website with comprehensive info on how to turn a mossy lawn into part wild meadow, part no-dig raised beds? We've a new garden and I was going to put in some groundwork next weekend but there's so much to be done that I don't know where to start.

Don't try and do the whole thing in a weekend. I'd say go go the raised beds, research and plan during the week. Measure Rea decide on how many beds etc and then but the stuff and either make them or install them over the weekend.

Putting in a wild meadow is a lot of work. Again mark out the area, if it were me I'd cover it from now til next February and then rake and seed it.

Youtube is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

I've scalped and raked the lawn area which I'm sowing in spring, yellow rattle deployed and here's hoping it takes.

Did the same here last week... it looks like a right mess!

I sowed yellow rattle last year without scalping the lawn first and it only grew in the places where there was bare soil. Hopefully this year I will have more luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

s1ippy wrote: »

For the no-dig bit you could take a look at http://gardensforlife.ie/ and https://charlesdowding.co.uk/.

We turned about 100m square of lawn into no-dig beds last year by covering the area with grass cuttings from strimming a field topped with a load of farmyard manure spread over the entire area. Finished it off with a layer of mushroom compost for the beds and straw for the paths. We got a great crop of barley off the paths last year (a bit annoying at the time but easy enough to pull out) so using wood chip would probably be better if you could get your hands on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Are fushia good for the bees? We have a heap of different types in the garden and they seem to attract bees, just not sure if they actually get anything from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Should have read the top of the page, must look at Irish seed savers!

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Are fushia good for the bees? We have a heap of different types in the garden and they seem to attract bees, just not sure if they actually get anything from them!
    Bees seem really drawn to them alright and I am sure that they are very definitely getting something from these flowers. The advantage that tubular or trumpet like flowers like those on fuchsia have in our climate is that the nectar is less likely to get washed out by rain as it is protected from the elements by the shape of the flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nigzcurran wrote: »

There are three huge old fuchsias here and I can sometimes not sit out near the big one by the gate as it is alive with bees. Thee is a nest nearby .and they throng in. So yes!

And bees are clever and know where to find what they need so clearly fuchsias have that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I would add that some fuchsia varieties are better than others to attract bees. the best one imo is Fuchsia Riccartonii.
    It's the same one that grows wild in Cork and Kerry. (They grow very easy from cuttings, so you don't even have to spend money)

Advertisement