Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick regional

• 10-02-2019 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, has anyone any idea of public surgery waiting lists in limerick regional by any chance ? Tonsillectomy to be precise.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Hi, has anyone any idea of public surgery waiting lists in limerick regional by any chance ? Tonsillectomy to be precise. Thanks!

I was on the public waiting list to see a consultant for about a year and a half. Got my last letter from them asking did I want to continue waiting about 5/6 months after I went private to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Get onto Michael Healy Rae's office. Seriously. Loads of people going up to Belfast from Kerry with tonsils. It was cataracts and hips originally. I don't think there's be a problem with you being from Limerick. My friend's Dad is from Limerick and went up via MHR to have his cataracts done.

Get on it straight away though. A lady I know had one hip done last year and needs the other one done now, but people are saying with Brexit etc, they don't know how long the cross border directive will be available.

You have to pay upfront and then claim it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dotty polly

PetKing wrote: »
    I was on the public waiting list to see a consultant for about a year and a half. Got my last letter from them asking did I want to continue waiting about 5/6 months after I went private to get it sorted.

We’ve been to the consultant twice & he has said they have to come out ASAP. I’ve asked to be contacted in case a last minute cancellation comes in.
    Is there a huge wait time from when the consultant agrees to do the operation to actually having it done do u know???

Get onto Michael Healy Rae's office. Seriously. Loads of people going up to Belfast from Kerry with tonsils. It was cataracts and hips originally. I don't think there's be a problem with you being from Limerick. My friend's Dad is from Limerick and went up via MHR to have his cataracts done.

Get on it straight away though. A lady I know had one hip done last year and needs the other one done now, but people are saying with Brexit etc, they don't know how long the cross border directive will be available.

You have to pay upfront and then claim it back.

I don’t think I’d be able to avail of that because it’s for my son & he’s under 16. I could be wrong though!
    The consultant is concerned about how far away we are from the hospital (approx 1hour) in case he experiences a bleed after being discharged so I’d say going north would be a complete non runner. But thank you.

I don’t think I’d be able to avail of that because it’s for my son & he’s under 16. I could be wrong though!
    The consultant is concerned about how far away we are from the hospital (approx 1hour) in case he experiences a bleed after being discharged so I’d say going north would be a complete non runner. But thank you.

How old is your son? Have a look on MHR's Facebook page. It says over 14, but I see you have other concerns too.
    It might be no harm to check it out though? Give his office a ring and explain and see what they say.

• Advertisement

How old is your son? Have a look on MHR's Facebook page. It says over 14, but I see you have other concerns too.
    It might be no harm to check it out though? Give his office a ring and explain and see what they say.

I will ring, no harm in asking. Thanks for that.
    We’ve been to the consultant & he has agreed to do the operation but wasn’t clear on how much of a wait to expect.
    He’s 4 so really going north would be a nightmare even if the op didn’t have any complications afterwards.

I will ring, no harm in asking. Thanks for that.
    We’ve been to the consultant & he has agreed to do the operation but wasn’t clear on how much of a wait to expect.
    He’s 4 so really going north would be a nightmare even if the op didn’t have any complications afterwards.

Oh poor little guy. He's very young. Hope you can get it sorted soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

We’ve been to the consultant twice & he has said they have to come out ASAP. I’ve asked to be contacted in case a last minute cancellation comes in. Is there a huge wait time from when the consultant agrees to do the operation to actually having it done do u know???

I went it to see him (prof Fenton) and had a chat about my doc's referral. Told me the pros and cons and wanted to know if I wanted to go through with it. (Risks as adult and pain) after I left that consultation, I got notice from him within the week that I was booking in Barrington's about 2/3 months later.

Advertisement