Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding RAM - Dell PC

Options
  • 10-02-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Dell OptiPlex 3050 desktop.

The first issue I am running into is to identify the exact model I have. When I look for an online manual, there are three (see attached).

Dell are not being helpful.

If this can be solved, can anybody give me advice as to how I then identify the exact RAM that I should buy.

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

At the bottom of the product support page, isn't there a "Parts and Accessories" page? Edit : Oh. not informative...

Regarding the Micro, SFF, Tower?
    Looking at the picture
    https://www.dell.com/en-ie/work/shop/desktop-and-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-3050-tower-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-3050-desktop

Micro is the smallest, on the left of the keyboard, smaller than a book.
    Tower is the largest, on the very right.
    SFF Small form factor is a bit smaller than the tower, beside it in the picture.
    All-in-one is the PC built into the monitor (screen, behind the keyboard).

The Tower and SFF usually take the larger UDIMMS
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for//optiplex-3050-small-form-factor

The Micro form and All in one take the Smaller SODIMM
    https://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/compatible-upgrade-for//optiplex-3050-micro

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭pinkfloydian

Thanks ressem

I should have stated that it came from Italy, so no memory card reader, but looking at the measurements, it looks like it's the tower.

Would it be worthwhile opening the unit and getting details off the existing RAM?

T

Thanks sugarman

I assume it's crucial.com

I ran it but get a "502 - Bad Gateway" response

T

Further down on the dell page.
    The tower is 15.4 cm wide on the shortest side. (front + top edge probably)
    The Small form factor is 9.26 cm wide

If you take off the lid, memory is probably
    DDR4 PC4-19200 • CL=17 • SINGLE RANKED • X8 BASED • UNBUFFERED • NON-ECC • DDR4-2400 • 1.2V •
    according to crucial.

But I could be wrong and existing might be DDR4-2133

Saw that problem yesterday with the crucial site, especially the EU one. Seems to be working again now..
    If not... the direct link to the scanner is
    https://uk.crucial.com/wcsstore/CrucialSAS/drivers/qa/CrucialUKScan.exe

Or
    https://www.kingstonmemoryshop.co.uk/desktop/dell/optiplex-3000-dtmtsff-series/dell-optiplex-3050-sff-small-form-factor-desktop

Thanks ressem.

That worked a treat

T

• Advertisement

Hi ressem

I've run the critical.com tool and also taken a photo from inside the PC.

There are 2 slots and one card at present.

I want to add another 8Gb card and have a few questions.

I attach a document with photo of existing card and two results from critical.com.

1) Which of the two should I select (I have no idea of the difference between Single Ranked and Dual Ranked).

2) Is there a possibility of a conflict between the existing card and the new card after installation

3) Can I add a 16Gb card to the existing 8 (or must both slots be the same size)?

4) Is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
    T

File attached

There is meant to be a small performance loss when mixing sizes.
    If you're using all the memory you have, then it is usually an acceptable loss.

Crucial suggest having the larger of the two modules in the lowest numbered slot as per the dell owners manual.
    https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/optiplex-3050-desktop/optiplex-3050-desktop-tower-owners-manual/system-board-layout?guid=guid-41f59f38-621c-4670-b823-4dd9600900e7&lang=en-us

Dell recommend using the same Rank type, existing memory is single rank.

Unlikely to be a conflict between the old and new if you are choosing another 8GB Single Ranked DDR4- 2400 with the part number as recommended by Kingston or Crucial. But can't guarantee this 100%, Crucial offer return swaps.

You should run a memory test in the computer BIOS after install. There's always a small chance of a faulty module, or dust causing a bad contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The Service Tag should directly identify your specific machine.

Ken

ressem wrote: »
    There is meant to be a small performance loss when mixing sizes.
    If you're using all the memory you have, then it is usually an acceptable loss.

Crucial suggest having the larger of the two modules in the lowest numbered slot as per the dell owners manual.
    https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/ie/en/iebsdt1/optiplex-3050-desktop/optiplex-3050-desktop-tower-owners-manual/system-board-layout?guid=guid-41f59f38-621c-4670-b823-4dd9600900e7&lang=en-us

Dell recommend using the same Rank type, existing memory is single rank.

Unlikely to be a conflict between the old and new if you are choosing another 8GB Single Ranked DDR4- 2400 with the part number as recommended by Kingston or Crucial. But can't guarantee this 100%, Crucial offer return swaps.

You should run a memory test in the computer BIOS after install. There's always a small chance of a faulty module, or dust causing a bad contact.

Thanks ressem. I was not notified of your post for some reason and just read it now. I have bought a 16Gb stick as recommended by Crucial.

I have installed it in place of the existing 8Gb one.

I was wondering if there are any risks in adding back the original 8Gb stick and have 24Gb. Also, which should be in which slot.

Can you tell me what to do when I boot up after install. I got a BIOS message that there was new memory added but I just continued on to login.

T

• Advertisement

As you describe it The 16 GB should now be in the slot 1, closest to the CPU, as shown in the Dell diagram.

The 8GB can be added to the second slot.

Press F12 at boot time when the dell log shows and you can access the Diagnostics menu to carry out memory checks.
    Or F2 for the basic menu.

That BIOS notification about the memory change should only show once per change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What is the PC used for?

It's much better to run RAM in dual channel, eg 2x4, 2x8, or 2x16.

Some apps can suffer pretty significant performances hits from running in single channel.

Pretty much nny DDR4 ram will work, compatiability tools are usually designed to inform you of RAM speed/type (eg DDR3 or 4) more than anything else to make sure you're getting the most suitable type. EG if you buy expensive DDR4 3200Mhz and then put it into some motherboards, it'll only run at 2133mhz so it would be a waste.

Thanks TerrorFirmer

I use it to run a small business and also a little gaming, browsing/streaming, MS Office etc.

I bought the following from Crucial and it is currently installed.

Form Factor: UDIMM
    Total Capacity: 16GB
    Specs: DDR4 PC4-21300 CL=19 Dual Ranked x8 based Unbuffered
    NON-ECC
    DDR4-2666
    1.2V
    ECC: NON-ECC
    Speed: 2666 MT/S
    Voltage: 1.2V
    DIMM Type: Unbuffered

16GB is loads, 24GB would be total overkill. But again, having a single stick of 1x16GB versus 2x8GB hurts performance, in some cases the difference might be 5%, in other extreme cases, 30-40%. Just depends on how sensitive any given app or game is to it.

Surprised Dell have not copped onto that, some of their top spec gaming machines/laptops have a single stick of 16GB.

Browsing/streaming/general use won't show any difference however. It would be games and productivity software that would mostly (say, fairly heavy video or photo editing)

Have a look at this video to see some numbers, the FPS counter will tell you the difference between 1x8 and 2x4.

This is a rare case where there is a huge difference, most games wouldn't be anywhere near as sensitive. At some points it is >50% slower with single channel.

Advertisement