Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Register as self-employed paying zero tax

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I’m retired, my income is below the €18k tax allowance for my age (70). I’m being offered an opportunity to do a litle freelance work but they need a tax registration number, which I don’t have. It’s not a lot of income and even with my pension will probably still be below the income level at which I’d pay tax. Can and should I register as self-employed to get a tax number? I assume I’d then need to submit a self-assessment which will result in zero tax.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, you can and should.

But are you sure you don't have a tax number? It's just your regular PPS number.

As above, I'm a sole trader, and my tax number is my PPS number.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 nautilist

Oh, didn't know that! Yes, I have a PPS number. If the client wants a tax number assume they'll report any payments even if only €100... so give them my PPS number and also register with revenue (online I guess). Thanks for the help!

Advertisement