Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish localized CMS hosting with big diskspace

Options
  • 11-02-2019 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭

I presume we are not allowed to comment here about quality of hosting in Ireland but may I ask about where to look for simple CMS (php) website hosting with BIG diskspace - 50GB of more, preferably 100GB if possible not having to pay €1k per year :eek:
    Irish localized is a must, I'm not sure if I can achieve this with gimmicks like AWS of Cloudflare...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Anj1813

Can I ask why "Irish localized is a must", thats unusual, and 50-100GB? its a lot!!! What abt databases, ftp accs, how many domains, and which ssl? As I understand it will be for an onlineshop, or maybe a foto gallery...
    Im using 100GB hosting more than 15years, with all you can imagine. 83.50 Euro/year. Far from Ireland.
    Almost Irish(Irish domain), host.ie has Unlimited Web Hosting Space but its american corpo DELUX from Minnesota :-( Anyway an offer doesnt look good for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

For 100Gb, your only choice physically located in Ireland will be AWS I'd guess. About €1/month for storage, egress fees probably will be more important.

A well known French provider with a billing office in Ireland will rent you a small ARM Cortex A9 board with 2x 2Tb of disk attached and a 250Mbit connection for €5/month. They're very handy as throw away servers to back up during a server migration, and latency to France is pretty good.

If a fiver a month is too much, they'll also rent you an Intel Atom with 500Gb disk and 100Mbit connection for €4/month :)

I actually recently stopped using said French provider last year after many years of running my main infrastructure on them. They're not that cheap anymore - another French provider is even cheaper. I'm currently renting an eight core Atom server with 8Gb of ECC RAM, a 120Gb Intel SSD and 1Gb NIC for seven euro a month. Daft cheap. And so far, I'm fairly happy, network occasionally drops out, but for the price it's acceptable. And the hardware itself has been utterly rock solid.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

"gimmicks" like AWS and Azure, are literally made for this type of problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Anj1813 wrote: »
    Can I ask why "Irish localized is a must", thats unusual, and 50-100GB?

This is some unusual CMS, with lot of media (art) to be specifically located on it (not shared like youtube / pinterest for example).
    It has backup included as users are not very "reliable" if you know what I mean.
    At the moment it is quickly reaching current 20GB quota and to be future-proof I look for something at least 50GB big. Site owners did some research and proposed irishdomains with their Developer Hosting which is 50GB storage: https://www.irishdomains.com/developer-web-hosting/, but I wonder if there is other option?
    "gimmicks" like AWS and Azure, are literally made for this type of problem.

Can php CMS be installed on Azure cloud? I know my clients have Microsoft account and Azure can be a part of their package, but I would also like to have it done simple way. I already tried to host big media files on separate storage (Dropbox) and it didn't work well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not local, but I've been using midphase for a number of years now where there low end shared server accounts don't have storage space limits. I've about 7tb in use at the moment and growing. Mostly large geospatial models, customer demo videos, and the like. Bulky but not hugely sensitive. From memory it is about €100 per year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

zom wrote: »
    Can php CMS be installed on Azure cloud? I know my clients have Microsoft account and Azure can be a part of their package, but I would also like to have it done simple way. I already tried to host big media files on separate storage (Dropbox) and it didn't work well.
    Yes Azure can be used to host PHP applications - I had a few clients that hosted WordPress.

After some time of testing Azure i agree it is great tool but decided to go for standard hosting.
    I know it is probably old-school solution but I don't want to make it difficult for users to maintain if I'm gone.
    There is no big choice for Irish web hosting companies (anyone can tell me what happen to Digiweb Hosting advertising in a footer of this page?) and not much change since February but I spotted two offers:

register365.com - they used to have in their offer 50GB Web Space hosting in decent price - now I found that they are actually starting with 50GB for Starter Personal Website and with my budget I can even afford their higher 100GB Wordpress Flexible hosting. Anyone with experience dealing with them? Is there any hidden catch (expensive backup or renewals)??

https://www.register365.com/web-hosting/packages/compare

ovh.ie - this is new to me, never heard about them and I appreciate even more any opinion (can be PM) about them. They seems to give massive disk space for very small money - 100GB for €2 per month (+ VAT etc.) Personal Plan. It is hard to believe and I'm tempted to take their hosting just as a spare, even if i don't need another one. Unless there is something I should know before I do??
    As if I would like to use it for website I started about, I need more than 1 database so will go for Professional Plan (250GB !!!!) - three databases for fiver+VAT a month!

https://www.ovh.ie/web-hosting/web-hosting-personal.xml

I appreciate any comments - if you can't comment in public please PM me. I hate to discover after few months that my hosting is playing dirty - as well as if it get any serious reliability issues or lack/poor support. What I do is a nearly non-profit job serving young creators in Dublin - as far as I am happy to start it i don't want to be forced to spend lot of time maintaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

AWS's offering for this type of hosting is called Lightsail: https://aws.amazon.com/lightsail/

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

zom wrote: »
    https://www.ovh.ie/web-hosting/web-hosting-personal.xml

I appreciate any comments - if you can't comment in public please PM me. I hate to discover after few months that my hosting is playing dirty - as well as if it get any serious reliability issues or lack/poor support. What I do is a nearly non-profit job serving young creators in Dublin - as far as I am happy to start it i don't want to be forced to spend lot of time maintaining it.

FYI ovh.ie is the "well known French provider with a billing office in Ireland" which I mentioned in my earlier post.

I have no experience with their managed hosting business, but I would expect it to be barebone support with pretty good anything-which-doesn't-involve-a-person. In the end, people cost money, good support costs money.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Unless things have changed OVH isn't hosting anything in Ireland, which seems to be a blocker for you.

I'm not sure about R365 - I know they used to host *some* in Dublin and some in the UK, but I've no idea about the split.

• Advertisement

I already opened account with register365, will see how it works. Thanks guys for all opinions.

Advertisement