Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving and rejoining public service

• 11-02-2019 8:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have 8 years continuous public service experience.
    The way things are , I may need to leave public service job for two - three years ( work in private/study further for higher degree durin that time) and may be join again.
    What would happen to my pension entitlements? Would I be able to reactivate my pension etc. when I rejoin ?
    Likewise If I leave Ireland for two-three years what happens if I return and kmjlin public services again to my pension entitlements?
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

You can apply for some pension contributions back and so will loose service or you can just leave it and when you re-join you can continue.
    If you're taking a career break, then you're not leaving.
    If not, how are you guaranteed a job in a few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

Addle wrote: »
    You can apply for some pension contributions back and so will loose service or you can just leave it and when you re-join you can continue.
    If you're taking a career break, then you're not leaving.
    If not, how are you guaranteed a job in a few years?

Thanks. Well no guarantee but horizon might improve after few years. Is there any maximum time period one can be away from public service before rejoining and resuming the pension contribution and entitlements from that point.

Nicknamed wrote: »
    Thanks. Well no guarantee but horizon might improve after few years. Is there any maximum time period one can be away from public service before rejoining and resuming the pension contribution and entitlements from that point.

after 26 weeks of a break youd be rejoining on the new pension entitlements is my understanding.

that would be a significant step down if so. get good (official, in writing) advice before you do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

If you can, try to get a career break rather than resign. However you won’t be able to work in ireland while on a career break. You can take a career break for up to 5yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

As Snoopsheep says a break of 26 weeks means you rejoin as new entrant for and therefore join Single Public Service Pension Scheme.

Your previous pension benefit will be deferred payable at retirement, final salary likely to linked to your grade, so will be based on the applicable salary in force when you retire.

• Advertisement

mel.b wrote: »
    If you can, try to get a career break rather than resign. However you won’t be able to work in ireland while on a career break. You can take a career break for up to 5yrs.

they have, as far as i understand it, removed this stipulation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

they have, as far as i understand it, removed this stipulation

I think it depends on which part of the public service you are in. I was HSE and took a career break in May last yr and it clearly says you can’t work while on a career break.

mel.b wrote: »
    I think it depends on which part of the public service you are in. I was HSE and took a career break in May last yr and it clearly says you can’t work while on a career break.

ah fair enough. i looked at it in public service a few years back and it was in place then but isnt a factor in civil service these days as far as i know

Advertisement