Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoToMyPC pricing gone MAD!!! Any good alternatives recommended?

Options
  • 11-02-2019 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Anyone still using GTMPC remote connection software better watch their auto renew if it coming up for renewal.

Mine has shot up from €143 to €1,008 .....( for a 3 pclink)

Usually waffle on investment in security and development .... and after emailing to look for cancellation numbers... they dropped to €590.

So... time to move on and look at an alternative. Am happy to pay so not looking for a free programme. What do You all use???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RDP + VPN. Free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

TeamViewer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Google have one free built on chrome. Works well. TeamViewer is my go to.

Also softether for free vpn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Windows 10 Quick Assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Jays-us Logmein is now €839.99 /year for 5 computers and €1,519.99 /year for small business

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Easy answer is Screenconnect.

https://www.connectwise.com/software/control/free

(which is also the best remote desktop tool out there right now)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

Parallels Access

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Update from OP.... rang to cancel anf they couldn't give 2 fu@ks.

So... winding down the balance of my subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Masala wrote: »
    Update from OP.... rang to cancel anf they couldn't give 2 fu@ks.

So... winding down the balance of my subscription.

What are the benefits than using a free one or setting up your own VPN for free?

upinsmoke wrote: »
    What are the benefits than using a free one or setting up your own VPN for free?

to be honest.... I don't know. It's just that GTMPC always worked for me and never let me down. I suppose... I just don't like change!! But money talks!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

to be honest.... I don't know. It's just that GTMPC always worked for me and never let me down. I suppose... I just don't like change!! But money talks!!

Have you decided yet what you are going to run with now?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Anybody use showmypc.com

Have you decided yet what you are going to run with now?

Am talking to our IT advisors....he suggesting making my home connect to work via VPN. Not sure what that means... so will revert later!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Setup your own vpn to get back to your fileserver or LAN using soft ether rather than a paid vpn for internet privacy. You can vpn back to your network and then use RDP to control your pcs. A couple of hours work to setup and won’t cost you a penny. Also very secure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭upinsmoke

Am talking to our IT advisors....he suggesting making my home connect to work via VPN. Not sure what that means... so will revert later!

I'm surprised your paying yourself to remote into work!

I'm surprised your paying yourself to remote into work!

No.... company bills the bills!! But even I can't justify paying €1008 for something that was €143. GTMPC is not worth that...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

This is free today..
    *Haven't tried it*
    http://www.bitsdujour.com/software/litemanager/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

just use ScreenConnect!

Its FREE for personal use and it is way better than any of the options mentioned here.

I consult for an MSP and we did an very in depth analysis of all the major options and Screenconnect won hands down. So grab it while you can as who know how long they will do this.

Just make sure you do the FREE version and not the "Free Trial" and you can sign up here:

https://www.connectwise.com/software/control/free

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

I'd second to route anything through VPN that doesn't expose ports.
    And now it's down to RDP or VNC alternatives (also depending on the OS...)
    VNC -> interact with desktop 1:1
    RDP -> desktop locked on physical machine (can't interact realtime with user viewing the desktop ala teamviewer)

chonix wrote: »
    RDP -> desktop locked on physical machine

You wha? Virtual desktops can be any size. Or multiple desktops. You using 2003?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭chonix

ED E wrote: »
    You wha? Virtual desktops can be any size. Or multiple desktops. You using 2003?
    That was not what I intended to say.
    I meant: with RDP you can't interact with user session at same time user is literally using same desktop ala TeamViewer, hence 1:1 support is not possible

Oh, I getcha now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Jays-us Logmein is now €839.99 /year for 5 computers and €1,519.99 /year for small business

Someones gotta pay for the fancy HQ

https://www.thejournal.ie/the-reflector-dublin-4491159-Feb2019/

'Construction on The Reflector began in 2016 and was completed last year. The building already has a number of high-profile tenants including Airbnb, Wix and LogMeIn.'

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Oonagh123

Setup your own vpn to get back to your fileserver or LAN using soft ether rather than a paid vpn for internet privacy. You can vpn back to your network and then use RDP to control your pcs. A couple of hours work to setup and won’t cost you a penny. Also very secure.

Is this easily done? I'd like to give this a shot but wouldn't have a clue where to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BailMeOut wrote: »
    just use ScreenConnect!

Its FREE for personal use

TeamViewer is FREE for personal use too. Neither are any good to the OP as he is using it for business.

I use VPN + RD myself...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Using GoToAssist.
    Gives me 100 unattended remote PCs end points.

https://get.gotoassist.com/en-ie/remote-support/buy

Advertisement