Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spray Foam Insulation

Options
  • 11-02-2019 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

We are planning to do our attic conversion, and checking different options of insulation.

The first thing come to my mind is foam insulation, but after I started to dig into it the only positive word about this solution I found on the website of the builders who provides this service.

From another hand I found a lot of negatives, but all of those reviews are from 10 years ago.

Is there any change to it? Where there new materials that are fine to use?

Any suggestions? I would ask only independent opinion, without advertising any particular builder if possible.

Thank you,
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dathi

was in a house where halogen down lights were spray foamed into attic conversion could get odd smell in room pulled down down light foam all black and wires from transformer to light burnt but still working.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,572 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

dathi wrote: »
    was in a house where halogen down lights were spray foamed into attic conversion could get odd smell in room pulled down down light foam all black and wires from transformer to light burnt but still working.

thats incredibly dangerous and could cause fire... the applicants of that house should be warned about that straight away

haolgen down lights are supposed to have a air-box around them in the ceiling space keeping the insulation away from them and allowing the heat to dissipate.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1TEXZHVXXXXXNXVXXq6xXFXXXn/Trimless-fibre-box-MR16-recessed-downlight-adjustable.jpg_350x350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭dathi

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats incredibly dangerous and could cause fire... the applicants of that house should be warned about that straight away

haolgen down lights are supposed to have a air-box around them in the ceiling space keeping the insulation away from them and allowing the heat to dissipate.

https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1TEXZHVXXXXXNXVXXq6xXFXXXn/Trimless-fibre-box-MR16-recessed-downlight-adjustable.jpg_350x350.jpg

they were replaced with fire rated led downlights

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

I was looking into getting this done last for my own house. From what i figured out there are 2 types of spray foam, open cell and closed cell. Open cell has a spongy feel to it, helps reduce air movement while not impeding moisture movement. Open cell seems to be more popular now.
    Closed Cell is more rigid and prevents moisture coming through it.
    A lot depends on whether you have breathable or non breathable felt in your attic.
    There are stories of houses spray with closed cell foam which didn't allow the felt and timber to breathe properly and the timber eventually rotted. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

:eek:
    dathi wrote: »

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement