Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance quote for learner permit

Options
  • 11-02-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Guys can you suggest car insurer that can quote for learner permit holder? Asking on behalf of a friend. First time driver, has named driver with full licence. Worrying that named driver with full licence not in same address but same county. Any suggestion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

20784 wrote: »
    Guys can you suggest car insurer that can quote for learner permit holder? Asking on behalf of a friend. First time driver, has named driver with full licence. Worrying that named driver with full licence not in same address but same county. Any suggestion?

25plus.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Liberty or AXA seem to be giving the better quotes for newer drivers.

Does the named driver have any no claims discount? If so they might bring down the learner's quote. I added my mam to my policy and it knocked a few hundred off. An experienced driver on the policy doesn't have to drive the car or even live with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Liberty or AXA seem to be giving the better quotes for newer drivers. If you know someone who has been driving for a few years with a clean license you can try adding them as a driver and it might knock the price down.

I added my mam to my policy and it dropped it down a few hundred to €2,500 (albeit with a full licence). The added driver doesn't even have to drive the car or live with you.
    Isn’t that dodgy?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

godtabh wrote: »
    Isn’t that dodgy?

Not that I know of. It just means she's named on my policy as opposed to a generic open drive option.

Not to be confused with fronting, where she would have insurance on my car that I would drive as a named driver or open drive.

Advertisement