Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamping issue NCPS

• 11-02-2019 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Just wanted to ask people’s opinion of something that happened a family member on Saturday night.
    We were out for dinner and they parked in the town. They didn’t know it was a 24hr clamping area run by NCPS. So after dinner they were clamped, fair enough. This was at 9.30pm. They had two small kids with them. They rang the number on the clamping document to no avail. I came back and picked up the kids and brought them home while the parents kept trying to call. They gave up at 11.30 with the line just ringing out and got a taxi home.

They tried calling again the following morning not getting through until midday and the clamp was removed at 1.30pm.

Hands up they made a mistake and were clamped but surely there is some rules that the clampers must respond in a certain time frame if they are going to immobilise your car?

What options are available to make a complaint? Who would it be made to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭w211

You can cut the clamp and drive away. The weakest point are on the top of the triangle. That link is possible to crush even by hammer. Do not try to destroy the lock or the chain, both are hardened metal.

This is not the crime because the car is yours. They can not send to you any fine, because they can not proof who was driving/parking the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

If its a private clamp you can cut it without legal worries but if its a council clamp you would be mad to touch it.

I find the easiest way to remove it is to first cut two notches into any link on the chain using a file, then you will be able to fit the jaws of a bolt cutter around the link, hey presto.

Works a charm in Cherrywood anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

If your relative can prove that they called and made genuine attempts to call and there was no answer, you can get a refund as the clamp was not removed within 2 hours as per the new clamping regulations. (Vehicle signage and clamping regulations 2017)

I would advise against actually cutting a clamp as although they are a private company, they can complain of criminal damage.

Removing the clamp however is different. (Google).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jimbis

For anyone else that reads upon this. If you are gonna cut it, make sure you are not seen or identifiable when doing so or your looking at a criminal damage case.
    As said though, Removing it without damage is fine (private Clamper).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

As mentioned by Get_Real the Clamping Regulations 2017 (easily available online) are what you should rely on. There is now a clamping regulator you can appeal the clampers actions to and anecdotally I've heard it does a good job putting manners on them.

The advice about cutting clamps as private clamping has no legal basis is outdated and exposes you to criminal prosecution.

Where is the location? as I often park in town on Sundays and out of hours and don't want to get caught myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    As mentioned by Get_Real the Clamping Regulations 2017 (easily available online) are what you should rely on. There is now a clamping regulator you can appeal the clampers actiosn to and anecdotally I've heard it does a good job putting manners on them.

The advice about cutting clamps as private clamping has no legal basis is outdated and exposes you to criminal prosecution.

Where is the location? as I often park in town on Sundays and out of hours and don't want to get caught myself.
    Ah it is in Kildare town outside a Mizzonis.

Thanks for the responses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

People always say remove the clamp but what kind of tools, money and time are required to even do this?
    You'd be drawing awful attention upon yourself and making a ton of noise.

For the average person it's just not realistic, right?

As much as I'd love to remove the clamp (if i ever get clamped) I just dont have the ability, know how, or contacts to perform such a stunt.

Might be handy for tradespersons however.

People always say remove the clamp but what kind of tools, money and time are required to even do this?

As much as I'd love to remove the clamp (if i ever get clamped) I just dont have the ability, know how, or contacts to perform such a stunt.

All what you need is the simple hammer. Hit the triangle the last welded link. Not hard job, if you know what you to do. Hit little one way and then other way and repeat the process. After some minutes that link are toast. This is only weak link there and it may already re-welded. Only pull that triangle bit away from your car to avoid any damage for car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

I heard people cut them off then reattach them to a fairly public structure. Then they report it.

Only unclamp and leave it side of the road. It is still the company property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

w211 wrote: »
    Only unclamp and leave it side of the road. It is still the company property

(A). “I left your clamp by the side of the road. No. I’ve no idea where it is now. Also, how are you calling me? You’ve no access to my details.”
    (B). “Sure. No problem. Come and collect it. My address? None of your business. Also, how are you calling me? You’ve no access to my details.”
    (C) “Your whatnow? Clamp? What clamp? Also, how are you calling me? You’ve no access to my details.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Most of the comments don't answer the OP's query. Cutting/breaking or removing the clamp is extremely bad advice to give anyone without having the full facts and appreciating this is beyond the realms of most people. It's much safer to take the fine and the lesson.

Great advice around lodging a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

A small angle grinder is the tool for it and can be purchased for far less than the cost of getting the clamp removed. It's easy to use and will get a clamp off in a few seconds. There is no skill required, it can be done by anyone. I couldn't ever bring myself to pay for a clamper to remove a clamp they put on.

I'm sure some melt will chime in now and say clampers are doing a great job but what about the OP's situation, not answering for 15+ hours? You'd be mad to pay the clowns at NCPS a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Have a read of this thread, long one but worth the read! Man that was a fun night, especially when the guards showed up!

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2056676043?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If someone put some super glue in the lock they'd have to cut it off. Any damage you do is criminal damage and as said most people don't have the knowledge or tools to remove it without damage to the clamp or their car. So make them cut it, you can always appeal the clamping afterwards.

Advertisement