Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wheelers Open Race 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭DKmac

Holding an A4 race of up to 110 riders for 42km is grossly irresponsible and a blatant disregard for rider safety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It is restricted to 80, as are all their races this year.
    From their site
    Registration for all 3 races will be via Cycling Ireland’s online registration facility. Because of the narrow roads, there will be a limit of 80 competitors in each of the races. Registration on the day will only be possible, if we do not fill our quota – and then only on a ‘first come, first served’ basis up to 80 competitors in each of the events

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

DKmac wrote: »
    Holding an A4 race of up to 110 riders for 42km is grossly irresponsible and a blatant disregard for rider safety.

All races limited to 80 riders for safety

CramCycle wrote: »
    It is restricted to 80, as are all their races this year.
    From their site

Makes no odds really, 42km is a joke in fairness.

A1, A2 is nearly 90km, A3 is 65km. Having organised plenty of races there over the years, it would be hard to work the timings safely for A4 if you were to increase it too 65km. Not impossible with the speed of the first few A4 races but the truth is that you can never tell what A4s will do in regards speed and effort, a shorter race helps increase the likelihood of pulling the finger out. Make it longer and they may not, so you then have to run it at a later time or not at all. The longest you could run A4 there is 65km and at that you run a risk of cross over if A1 are on form or A4 sit up at all.

I imagine the organisers have a choice between a short A4 race or no A4 race, I am glad they went for the former.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

...whos up for it..

In

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

I got dropped in that A4 race once :cool:

daragh_ wrote: »
    I got dropped in that A4 race once :cool:
    I had my front tyre stabbed by a chainring but I am sure I would have held on to that A4 race that was north of 60kmph in the first minute and never dropped below 50kmph for the first 6 km, definitely, probably would have been top 10 but I shall never know.
    Thank f*ck for that crash or I would have ended up in the back of an ambulance after I vomited my lungs up on the side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Makes no odds really, 42km is a joke in fairness.

It's neither a joke nor is it 'grossly irresponsible'. The course is tight and the distances are calibrated to avoid races converging on each other.

The argument that A4 races would end in fewer bunch sprints and have less crashes if only the races were longer, apparently enabling a completely different suite of tactics and aggression levels, has very little supporting evidence. If you put the A1s out in a 40km race - and there are plenty of them in the season, in Mondello for example and some of the Saturday evening fixtures - the race would shell to pieces, because the riders will make it so. A4 races end in sprints because of how they are ridden, not because of the distances involved.

smurphy29 wrote: »
    It's neither a joke nor is it 'grossly irresponsible'. The course is tight and the distances are calibrated to avoid races converging on each other.

The argument that A4 races would end in fewer bunch sprints and have less crashes if only the races were longer, apparently enabling a completely different suite of tactics and aggression levels, has very little supporting evidence. If you put the A1s out in a 40km race - and there are plenty of them in the season, in Mondello for example and some of the Saturday evening fixtures - the race would shell to pieces, because the riders will make it so. A4 races end in sprints because of how they are ridden, not because of the distances involved.

Considering my experience of this race, and others on the circuit, while there is occasionally bunch sprints (I only recall one where everyone slowed to crawl 200m from the line, I decided to sit up as it was wall to wall and no point sprinting for 30th), typically if its short, the hammer is down for most of the race, loads get destroyed by the pace, a few daredevils take off from the corner which kills off the last few and they are caught and overtaken with 200m left.

• Advertisement

smurphy29 wrote: »

Do 80 lads sign on in Mondello in the one category? You might get 80 across the whole race on a completely different course.

42km is a joke for an open race. 90% of the starting line will be there at the finish regardless of the pace.

Paddy Flanagan Kildare 2 years ago <50km same story- huge crash, this race in 2017 and 2015 same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Do 80 lads sign on in Mondello in the one category? You might get 80 across the whole race on a completely different course.

42km is a joke for an open race. 90% of the starting line will be there at the finish regardless of the pace.

Paddy Flanagan Kildare 2 years ago <50km same story- huge crash, this race in 2017 and 2015 same story.

Yes indeed. And I could mention plenty of longer races where there were crashes too, both in A4 and in other cats. The number of crashes or size of field at the end of the race has very little to do with the distance, but how the riders race it.

I'm going from the gun, and then when I am caught, I am going from the last turn. Like I've said, your choices are no A4 race or this. If you don't like this, don't sign up. A1, 2 and 3 are longer.

I plan to ride it like I stole it. If riders hit the first time up Doreys forge with a good bit of pace, there will be no worries about a mass sprint at the end. As others have said, crashes are caused by the riders not the organisers in races like this, drill it in to them at the start that if they are not up in the top 20 with 300m to go, call it a day because they are not going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Just curious what length the race you organise is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Plenty scope to run separate A1 and A2 90km races at 10.30 which would be over for 12.30, and separate A3 and A4 65km (or longer) races starting at 12.15-12.30 and still be finished early. But in the context of the farce of a season last year, you just have to take what you can get.

I still haven't bothered buying a licence this year. There's only so many races cancelled and 1pm Sunday starts you can endure before you question whether it's worth the effort to be lumped in with A1 fields as packfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Thank f*ck for that crash or I would have ended up in the back of an ambulance after I vomited my lungs up on the side of the road

I was in that race and got 2nd. I think it was a bit of an anomaly. Shane Smith was racing as well that day. We were both up to A2 3 months into the season.

It's a good, hard circuit and there should be no major issue in the decent riders shedding lads up Dorey's forge.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

Plastik wrote: »
    Plenty scope to run separate A1 and A2 90km races at 10.30 which would be over for 12.30, and separate A3 and A4 65km (or longer) races starting at 12.15-12.30 and still be finished early. But in the context of the farce of a season last year, you just have to take what you can get.

I still haven't bothered buying a licence this year. There's only so many races cancelled and 1pm Sunday starts you can endure before you question whether it's worth the effort to be lumped in with A1 fields as packfill.

Who doesn't love putting in 12-15 hours a week during the winter and beyond only to be lumped in with A1 riders?

I'm kidding but it is pretty demoralising putting in a decent amount of time only to get unceremoniously dropped by lads who are pretty much full time riders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Plastik wrote: »

While I'm no fan of the late starts, I'll always welcome an envelope over points! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

What time does the A4 race start?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

Who doesn't love putting in 12-15 hours a week during the winter and beyond only to be lumped in with A1 riders?

I'm kidding but it is pretty demoralising putting in a decent amount of time only to get unceremoniously dropped by lads who are pretty much full time riders.

I'd say a small percentage are full timers. Some doing 50 hour working weeks and as someone said earlier, pack fodder for the more talented lads. 15-20 hours seems a lot for average trainers at whatever level, I'd struggle to get 12 on average.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Newry Wheelers motions at the AGM means there are going to be more A2's this year than in the last few years - all A1 riders who didn't score points automatically became A2's, so I'm imagining the A2 field will be bigger than the A1 one! unless the points are very evenly spread across A1 riders.

nee wrote: »
    The Newry Wheelers motions at the AGM means there are going to be more A2's this year than in the last few years - all A1 riders who didn't score points automatically became A2's, so I'm imagining the A2 field will be bigger than the A1 one! unless the points are very evenly spread across A1 riders.

Which will create the same problem of former A1s mopping up the points and the issue we had years ago where there were not enough numbers to host an A1 field.

Not that this matters a jot to me in A4

I was in that race and got 2nd. I think it was a bit of an anomaly. Shane Smith was racing as well that day. We were both up to A2 3 months into the season.

It's a good, hard circuit and there should be no major issue in the decent riders shedding lads up Dorey's forge.

I've never forgiven any of you for that day :mad:

Which will create the same problem of former A1s mopping up the points and the issue we had years ago where there were not enough numbers to host an A1 field.

Not that this matters a jot to me in A4

They also raised the points it takes to get out of A4, made it more difficult to get out of A3 too- halving A3 points, this recreating the problems largely ameliorated by 2017's AGM :rolleyes: it's baffling they got through.
    People really need to stay going to the AGM, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Great race... I know I do not partake in the racing of the bicycles anymore but I do think Cram is right. I raced that course four years in a row and every crash etc was because of carelessness and inexperience on riders' part, not really numbers. It gets super strung out from the go (you can get dropped in the first 5km or burn out). People bomb down the slope after Mullagh's Cross forgetting there's basically a chicane there. The first nudge up drops a few, the pace on the Trim Road drops a few, but it also has a weird tendency to catch some in the wind you can't hide from and arseholes doing anything to get to the front. Then, it suddenly narrows again after the next junction and everyone is trying to get to the front in silly places again. Long decent. and then you hit Dorey's forge, then realise that wasn't Dorey's Forge at all and that was only a bump and then you hit Dorey's Forge and about a quarter of the A4 riders are in the wrong gear, so if you're anywhere near the back, you have like a 25% chance of getting stuck behind one of them. If so, you're done, if not do it all again, including forgeting that hill isn't Dorey's Forge, it's the one after.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

nee wrote: »
    They also raised the points it takes to get out of A4, made it more difficult to get out of A3 too- halving A3 points, this recreating the problems largely ameliorated by 2017's AGM :rolleyes: it's baffling they got through.
    People really need to stay going to the AGM, myself included.

I didn't understand it on the day myself. There were people giving out that it's too hard to get points in A3 toward an upgrade with a lot of Juniors placing, then later on the same people voted to reduce the points an A3 held at the end of the year!

buffalo wrote: »
    I didn't understand it on the day myself. There were people giving out that it's too hard to get points in A3 toward an upgrade with a lot of Juniors placing, then later on the same people voted to reduce the points an A3 held at the end of the year!

Yep, I am completely baffled by it. Hopefully some club will propose motions against them at this year's AGM, every one of those Newry Wheelers motions seemed really regressive.

buffalo wrote: »

I presume a load of Newry riders got upgraded and didn't enjoy races as much when they were not placing?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If you're training 12-15 hours a week and you're still getting dropped, then you're doing something wrong. There aren't many A2s who're doing more than that and most of them can hang in there just fine.

As Taxuser says, there's only a handful of A1s who're anything near full time. Most of them are working jobs like the rest of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

If you're training 12-15 hours a week and you're still getting dropped, then you're doing something wrong. There aren't many A2s who're doing more than that and most of them can hang in there just fine.

As Taxuser says, there's only a handful of A1s who're anything near full time. Most of them are working jobs like the rest of us.

Full time who'res, part-time who'res, - where did ye say this was on again?! :pac:

Advertisement