Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wheelers Open Race 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If you're training 12-15 hours a week and you're still getting dropped, then you're doing something wrong. There aren't many A2s who're doing more than that and most of them can hang in there just fine.

As Taxuser says, there's only a handful of A1s who're anything near full time. Most of them are working jobs like the rest of us.

Some lads are just too bloody fast..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

out of curiosity, what sort of average pace would be set in a race like this?
    speaking as someone unused to cycling in a group, happy to hit 30k/h average on a flattish solo run. i will *not* be entering.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

It's not the average speed of a race that makes it hard, it's the changing pace and it's not necessarily one you set poor are comfortable with. So it's often hard when you're struggling the most, or you make it hard in the hope everyone's struggling more than you. Sprinting out of corners, attacking, breaks, riding the break back, trying to keep a break going, and all that.
    Average speed doesn't tell most of the story at all. There's no non racing situation or way to describe how hard (and sometimes not so hard, but mostly hard at some point :D) racing is, not even intervals.
    You just have to try it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

racing sounds like a lot of work. too much work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

It starts on a bit of an incline, so you kind of drop down to flat and it rises slowly again after a few k. It starts really fast, which can catch people off guard. It’s fast enough, but it has some nasty little hills in it, at least two and that’s what really knocks it out of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭queldy

out of curiosity, what sort of average pace would be set in a race like this?
    speaking as someone unused to cycling in a group, happy to hit 30k/h average on a flattish solo run. i will *not* be entering.

A4 in 2016 was 37.8 km/h.
    It's all about pace changes, as already said by others. Sometimes the group cruises at 25 km/h, even less

• Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭wav1

The points going from a4 to a3 were not increased at agm.still the same

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weather looks like it is going to break, proper cycling weather, the rain is starting just before the race and finishing just after, temperatures predicted of 2 to 4 degrees , and a head wind up to the finish. This is going to be AWESOME

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

CramCycle wrote: »
    Weather looks like it is going to break, proper cycling weather, the rain is starting just before the race and finishing just after, temperatures predicted of 2 to 4 degrees , and a head wind up to the finish. This is going to be AWESOME

Hmmm. Rethinking my plan to spin out and watch you win.

All lads get back ok? Some sort of a crash on the A4 race according the twitter feed of Dublin Wheelers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

dahat wrote: »
    All lads get back ok? Some sort of a crash on the A4 race according the twitter feed of Dublin Wheelers.

They said all riders were up soon after

Weepsie wrote: »

Missed that tweet, good to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Weepsie wrote:

Heard a frame was snapped in half after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

I thought I saw a couple snapped but hard to tell between all the caos which was going on.

The thing is that the crash happened in the least expected place imo. Really takes nothing for 20 people to hit the ground......hopefully everyone is ok and was just bike damage.

That's nearly worse than body hurt (within reason of course)

I was in the middle of the main crash. To be fair, DW organised a cracking race and for a lap and a half, the riding was OK, braking was dodgy in places but no worse than usual. One young lad deserved a clout for overtaking into oncoming traffic, not sure the Comms seen it but the bunch gave him a bollicking. Disc and rim brakes seemed to cause no issues except the cries of anguish from them as they were applied randomly. Alot slower than the last few years bar the guy I missed going on a break. Had a few digs myself but nothing sticking, overall not very fast compared to previous years. Crosswinds were sketchy and I opted to take them head on without shelter as everyone blew right, I just leaned into it and overtook the bunch on the inside.

Crash happened on an incline, about 30km an hour, rider ahead to my left switched out and braked on a Tiernans rider. They both came down, and me along with it. I hit the ground and there were already 3 bikes in front of me on the ground. I wrapped my arms round my head and tries to avoid jamming my face into the chainring in front of my face as a few bikes hit me in the back. Looked like 15 in total came down.
    One guys brand new CAAD12 snapped the rear triangle. My rear wheel landed 5m down the road and my bike on front of me which I can't figure out. Everyone was OK in general, bikes took a worse battering. Hung around witth the other walking wounded until everyone found a way to move on. Haven't assessed the damage to my bike, right arse cheek is to sore to sit on and my right wrist is getting sorer by the minute.
    As crashes go, while the financial cost is going to be a bit for a few riders, everyone was fit to stand so not to bad at the end of the day.
    Overall a great start to the season and DW should be happy they put on a good show.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus get yourself looked at cram, a cousin of mine broke his scaphoid for 6 weeks before it was spotted and it required surgery.

Sorry to hear you were invovled and to echo Nee I'd get to a&e for xrays.

Thanks, a minor sprain from how I hit the ground but will get it looked at in work on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I can also confirm being up and walking (and driving home) isn't necessarily the sign everything is OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

I was in the middle of the main crash. To be fair, DW organised a cracking race and for a lap and a half, the riding was OK, braking was dodgy in places but no worse than usual. One young lad deserved a clout for overtaking into oncoming traffic, not sure the Comms seen it but the bunch gave him a bollicking. Disc and rim brakes seemed to cause no issues except the cries of anguish from them as they were applied randomly. Alot slower than the last few years bar the guy I missed going on a break. Had a few digs myself but nothing sticking, overall not very fast compared to previous years. Crosswinds were sketchy and I opted to take them head on without shelter as everyone blew right, I just leaned into it and overtook the bunch on the inside.

Crash happened on an incline, about 30km an hour, rider ahead to my left switched out and braked on a Tiernans rider. They both came down, and me along with it. I hit the ground and there were already 3 bikes in front of me on the ground. I wrapped my arms round my head and tries to avoid jamming my face into the chainring in front of my face as a few bikes hit me in the back. Looked like 15 in total came down.
    One guys brand new CAAD12 snapped the rear triangle. My rear wheel landed 5m down the road and my bike on front of me which I can't figure out. Everyone was OK in general, bikes took a worse battering. Hung around witth the other walking wounded until everyone found a way to move on. Haven't assessed the damage to my bike, right arse cheek is to sore to sit on and my right wrist is getting sorer by the minute.
    As crashes go, while the financial cost is going to be a bit for a few riders, everyone was fit to stand so not to bad at the end of the day.
    Overall a great start to the season and DW should be happy they put on a good show.

I was unfortunate enough to be involved in this myself too. Despite being on the opposite side of the bunch as it came down. All I can remember is hearing the crash, seeing a bike in front of me on the ground and the next thing I knew my face was smashed into the ground!! All good and managed to get back onto the bike after a few minutes of assessing my legs and bike. Knee is quite swollen at the moment but nothing a few days rest wont heal (I hope). And thankfully the bike is ok. Seemed like a mental place to crash and I'm still not really sure what happened but I guess thats the joys of A4 racing.

Just checked mine over, buckle in the front wheel seems to be the only issue after I put it all back together. Have to drop in to the LBS ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear about the he crash! Hope all's ok. I was marshalling at the junction to trim road and there were 1s and 2s coming to us for a good while! Miserable day for it! The late season start has been cursed for two years now!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

Ye came down in this too, hope everybody's ok, hit the brakes when i seen people falling, managed to get slowed down a bit but still ended up on top of the pile,no injuries thankfully, the only damage is a few scrapes on my front wheel and its out of true.........on to the next one!!

Anyone race the A3?

Curious to know how it went as I'll be up the country next week for similar type race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Anyone race the A3?

Curious to know how it went as I'll be up the country next week for similar type race.

Same, was it only the A4 that had a crash? Hope everyone is ok. Had a crash last week myself.

A3 came in with the top 10 reasonably well spread. If it was 50m longer the Bohernabreen lad would have taken it, but the 1st place guy put it all out. A3 just looked like a bunch of lunatics off the front all day from listening to the chats after and watching the finish. Talking to a guy in the bunch, once the lads were away the bunch just spun around at a leisurely pace knowing the places were gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

A3 came in with the top 10 reasonably well spread. If it was 50m longer the Bohernabreen lad would have taken it, but the 1st place guy put it all out. A3 just looked like a bunch of lunatics off the front all day from listening to the chats after and watching the finish. Talking to a guy in the bunch, once the lads were away the bunch just spun around at a leisurely pace knowing the places were gone.
    The UCD lad who won was away from the 1st lap, the chasing few were killing themselves to get across and the bunch were giving it socks to close, far from leisurely from what i could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Anyone race the A3?

You comin up for the Clonard race?

• Advertisement

sullzz wrote: »
    The UCD lad who won was away from the 1st lap, the chasing few were killing themselves to get across and the bunch were giving it socks to close, far from leisurely from what i could see.

I was talking tomorrow in the bunch, and a few chasing. The lads chasing were going like the clappers but, and this is from someone else, once the bunch realised it was gone, they rolled in. When they decided this is unclear, I presume the last lap, I didn't mean they rolled around from the first lap so sorry for the confusion.

Advertisement