Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsecured loans

• 11-02-2019 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone any experience with unsecured loans dot ie.
    in a moment of desperation applied for a loan, but can't find any info and even though badly need the money I can't help but worry,

I know it's a high cost loan etc but it's where I am!

My worry is , is it legit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

Any luck on with this I've just applied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Stay away from them. I don't see how any lending institution offering 45% APR can be reputable. That's madness. If you take out a 2 year loan, You'll end up paying back the same amount you borrowed in interest alone.

Dealing with vultures like these just sinks you further into trouble when you need to be looking at ways to make things better.

Have you tried your local credit union?
    If you have debts with banks have you spoken to them and tried to work with them?
    Have you contacted MABs?

Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From their site;
    Amount of credit: €3,800 for 48 months at €155.05 per month. Total repayment of €7,442.61. Interest: €3,642.61. Interest rate: 38% pa (fixed). 45.3% APR Representative. Warning : Late repayment can cause you serious money problems. For help, go to moneyadviceservice.org.uk
    As they mention moneyadviceservice.org.uk, I'm guessing it's a front for a UK company. Not existing on SoloCheck is a red flag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Doesn’t matter how badly you need the money. You don’t need it that badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Stay the fcuk away from these guys.

Simple rule in life. Banks and Credit Unions desperately want to lend. If they are unwilling to lend to you, then there is a bloody good reason and there is absolutely no way you should consider borrowing.

Sharks like this know this and prey on people. Their entire business model is to lend to people who they know will have trouble repaying and get them trapped in a debt cycle whereby they pay many multiples of the original amount.

The only reason they are legal is because, if they didn't exist, then desperate people would go to borrow money from violent criminals (who dole out physical harm when you can't repay), so are seen as the lesser of two evils.

• Advertisement

dotsman wrote: »
    Sharks like this know this and prey on people. Their entire business model is to lend to people who they know will have trouble repaying and get them trapped in a debt cycle whereby they pay many multiples of the original amount.

The only reason they are legal is because, if they didn't exist, then desperate people would go to borrow money from violent criminals (who dole out physical harm when you can't repay), so are seen as the lesser of two evils.
    Would I be correct in assuming that they'll ask you to borrow the money against assets that you own?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ohbygod

the_syco wrote: »
    Would I be correct in assuming that they'll ask you to borrow the money against assets that you own?

No there only looking for 1 month payment upfront

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

ohbygod wrote: »

Before releasing the money?

I wonder if they even exist.

Their website contains a lot of poor English. I'd run a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

No, no security - hence the website name ;)

But, as soon as a customer defaults (and many will, they will tack on extra charges and fees etc. Then harass and ultimately pursue through the courts if they are not getting anywhere. All the while, the cost of that is getting tacked on to the loan. In the end, the (now huge) debt has to get paid.

It is not uncommon for people to borrow a just few hundred to start off with and end up repaying several thousand back over the course of the next few years.

It's relatively small business here in Ireland, but in the UK and US etc, it is ridiculous - very popular and very profitable.

This may be a light-hearted look at the problem in the US, but is a good start:

You can do a quick google to bring up hundreds of articles regarding the epidemic in the UK. but just to start:
    As much as people don't want to hear it, if your bank or credit union doesn't think it's a good idea, then it is definitely not a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Before they loan the money? Walk away. Scam written all over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Wouldn't be unsecured then I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,423 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Mama lion wrote: »
    Anyone any experience with unsecured loans dot ie.
    in a moment of desperation applied for a loan, but can't find any info and even though badly need the money I can't help but worry,

I know it's a high cost loan etc but it's where I am!

My worry is , is it legit?

Do not do this. Go to MABS

Doing a bit more digging on this and it's 100% a scam. DO NOT SEND THEM ANY MONEY. I bet they asked for it through Western Union?

I checked out their Facebook page. Just spam posts and posts like this:

Hryx6TG.jpg

Edit: Also just found reviews on their page.
    took my upfront payment no loan coming,would not answer the phone to me,then rang me today and told me I was getting nothing back ,and I was given nothing but abuse in the form of name calling and then rang me back on my own phone number as he tried to hack into my voicemail

Check out their other reviews
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/Unsecured-Loans-Ireland-295125897810918/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Also, while it's possible that their page manager 'Isabella Elmore' might be a real person from Cork. Her page was originally called UnsecuredLoansIreland, as you can see in her URL, which you can't change even after changing everything else on your page, how come all of her friends are Indian?

https://www.facebook.com/UnsecuredLoansIreland/friends

It's very easy to set up a professional looking website using templates, which they did. They're just scumbags preying on people in a desperate situation. I really hope the OP or anyone else didn't actually send them the first payment as requested. Also if you gave them any bank details, inform your bank immediately.

Advertisement