Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Spewsday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm glad it's been quieter. Still ten public order arrests is a lot for a Tuesday night. https://connachttribune.ie/gardai-make-10-public-order-arrests-in-city-following-donegal-tuesday/

Section 71 of the 1993 Roads Act says essentially that you cannot put street furniture, including crowd-control gates, out unless you have a license. You'll only get one of those if there is 1.8 of clear footapth left for other people to use.

And it may not have been HITW's idea originally. But while other pubs hired door staff to keep students out. HITW hired them to marshall the crowd going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'm glad it's been quieter. Still ten public order arrests is a lot for a Tuesday night. https://connachttribune.ie/gardai-make-10-public-order-arrests-in-city-following-donegal-tuesday/

Section 71 of the 1993 Roads Act says essentially that you cannot put street furniture, including crowd-control gates, out unless you have a license. You'll only get one of those if there is 1.8 of clear footapth left for other people to use.

And it may not have been HITW's idea originally. But while other pubs hired door staff to keep students out. HITW hired them to marshall the crowd going in.
    10 arrests on a very busy night out isnt that much.
    If there was issue for guards theyd do something about it.
    Do you have same complaints about electric when they do the same for their nightclub queues every night?
    All pubs dont have door staff to keep students out. Its all about marshalling and checking those going in and when theyre in the venue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

It is beside the point but The Hole In The Wall owners or staff did not come up with the concept of Donegal Tuesday. It originated there alright but not because of management.

It originated in the College Bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,120 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Do you have same complaints about electric when they do the same for their nightclub queues every night?
    Yes.
    They are not entitled to appropriate the public thoroughfare for their own business profits

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I passed through town last night, by chance, and saw nothing out of the ordinary really. Nothing bad anyways. I knew it was RAG week so was expecting a lot more. One lad stumbled off the path onto the road and that was it. Was expecting 50 of them to do the same going by this thread.

Back in my day in college, every club had those barriers out every night of the week. There were barriers for CPs, GPO/Carbon, Karma, Cuba etc. Every night they were used, and only some had that space to allow people to walk outside but to be fair there would be very very little 'normal' passing foot-traffic. All the foot-traffic in the general area would be people walking to the clubs that night in order to queue up. This happened every night for years on end. I don't see these barriers half as much anymore (are they actually still being used at all?) The barriers used at HITW in order to keep people off the road and actually queuing in a orderly manner where the roads and paths are tight.

And the same usuals complain about them being used for 2-3 nights now.

• Advertisement

zell12 wrote: »
    Yes.
    They are not entitled to appropriate the public thoroughfare for their own business profits
    They do so to keep people off the road. It stops accidents and if there were issues surely guards would have stepped in?
    They are entitled to use the public thoroughfare to protect people....

FitzShane wrote: »

And the same usuals complain about them being used for 2-3 nights now.

No one's complaining about them being used at night.

But there should never be a need for them to used outside a pub at 10am.

No one's complaining about them being used at night.

But there should never be a need for them to used outside a pub at 10am.
    But there is due to events going on.
    If crowds are expected what else should the security do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

J o e wrote: »
    It originated in the College Bar.

Nah it didnt, it was started by a load of Donegal lads who used to drink in the side bar of the Hole and then just told everyone to come the Tuesday of RAG week with a jersey on. Irony was all the nightclub who now promote it turned people away the first couple of years.

It seems pubs cant win according to a few on here.

Not the point.

The issue is that a private business took control of the public footpath.

Why should Mr Fahy be able to do that, when other businesses can't?

Other businesses do do it, you can't stop people queuing the barriers make the queue safer and more orderly. They do not ad any additional difficulty in walking along the path as its already not possible due to the queue but it does make it safer for cars and for the people queuing.

People (will about 3 people in the who county) complaining about a business in-acting some health and safety measures is beyond idiotic.

• Advertisement

Nah it didnt, it was started by a load of Donegal lads who used to drink in the side bar of the Hole and then just told everyone to come the Tuesday of RAG week with a jersey on. Irony was all the nightclub who now promote it turned people away the first couple of years.

It seems pubs cant win according to a few on here.

Nope, it started with casual pints with the jersey on in the College Bar on the Tuesday of Rag Week (2005-2006'ish). It grew slowly over a few years and a few Donegal visitors down for Rag Week wanted to join but the NUIG College Bar had security on during the day and were getting strict on student IDs. So the session got moved into town.

I for one support our students celebrating Rag Week, and The Hole In The Wall for giving them an event that they look forward to each year.

These students are going to be joining the work force over the next few years. Let them go crazy every now and again. Generally, they're well behaved, and you see adults make just as much of a mess during Race Week

Nope, it started with casual pints with the jersey on in the College Bar on the Tuesday of Rag Week (2005-2006'ish). It grew slowly over a few years and a few Donegal visitors down for Rag Week wanted to join but the NUIG College Bar had security on during the day and were getting strict on student IDs. So the session got moved into town.

Nope, wrong again. Anyway it is aside from the point of the thread so will leave it.

Nope, wrong again. Anyway it is aside from the point of the thread so will leave it.

I'm from Donegal and was in NUIG throughout the time it grew. I wasn't involved in the initial gatherings (or it's growth) but have fellow and mutual Donegal friends that were. 100% didn't start in Hole in the Wall... they picked it up just like they picked up the Christmas Day session.

I'm from Donegal and was in NUIG throughout the time it grew. I wasn't involved in the initial gatherings (or it's growth) but have fellow and mutual Donegal friends that were. 100% didn't start in Hole in the Wall... they picked it up just like they picked up the Christmas Day session.

Joe you are wrong, I would just leave it like I said. You are welcome to PM if it is rattling you that much.

Not rattled at all ;), discussing Donegal Tuesday on a Donegal Tuesday thread seems fairly well on topic!

Was walking past a very quiet Sliding Rock last night. Was thinking how much it's changed from when the queues used to be at the River Inn and they used to strip out their furniture and sell cans for the week, until it was closed down by Gardai in the afternoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The worst thing about RAG week now, as opposed to 'my day', is there is actually no Raising And Giving, that I am aware of anyways.

I would like to suggest that anyone attending Donegal Tuesday events would throw some coins into a bucket that would be passed onto some local charities, but I'm kind of afraid that pubs would just take advantage of this and turn it into a cover charge and negate the idea of the charity donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

The charity aspect went by the wayside when the college and the SU washed their hands of Rag Week, I can't see them officially recognising it again anytime soon.

Galway locals were complaining about rag week and UCG student drunkenness in the 1930s if not before so the town versus gown tensions go back a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

The charity aspect went by the wayside when the college and the SU washed their hands of Rag Week, I can't see them officially recognising it again anytime soon.

Galway locals were complaining about rag week and UCG student drunkenness in the 1930s if not before so the town versus gown tensions go back a long way!

Yup. The approach they took was irresponsible and removed all remnants of charitable giving. It's not going to be officially endorsed again either.

What about the publicans stepping up to bridge the charity gap? Apparently they used to donate profits from RAG week to charity back in the 70's. They could at least chip it to pay for phone booth cleaning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

xckjoo wrote: »
    Yup. The approach they took was irresponsible and removed all remnants of charitable giving. It's not going to be officially endorsed again either.

What about the publicans stepping up to bridge the charity gap? Apparently they used to donate profits from RAG week to charity back in the 70's. They could at least chip it to pay for phone booth cleaning :D

Phone booth? What's that now? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Zzippy wrote: »
    Phone booth? What's that now? ;)

An image doing the rounds of a couple getting jiggy in one of those clear phone boxes.

Tho Im racking my brains trying to figure out where has a phone box any-more.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Bredabe wrote: »
    An image doing the rounds of a couple getting jiggy in one of those clear phone boxes.

Top of Eyre Square opposite McGettigans. Yes they're as manky now as you remember them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭StonedRaider

It's all fun and games till somebody gets hurt

Everywhere that ever had one.

The phones are in bad condition, the boxes mostly used as urinals. Eircom wanted to rip them all out years ago, but ComReg (or whatever they're called) wouldn't let them just in case there's someone left on the planet who doesn't own a cellphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭Bredabe

The phones are in bad condition, the boxes mostly used as urinals. Eircom wanted to rip them all out years ago, but ComReg (or whatever they're called) wouldn't let them just in case there's someone left on the planet who doesn't own a cellphone.

I'm not in the city much, but when I have to use a public phone there, I use the one outside BT. Security reasons mean that I cant bring my phone(s) everywhere with me.
    When I returned to the city, I noted that phones in eglington st were gone as were the ones at the end of maingard st. It was only last year the phone box(I cant say about the phone) in the estates in renmore was moved. Many many 'sickies' I called in from there in my other incarnation:D.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I used to public phones regularly and find them the finest, haven’t used a cell phone in over 2 years. It’ll come full circle and like the tram tracks we’ll regret taking up all the phone booth

Aren't the phone booth being reused as WiFi hotpots?

I used to public phones regularly and find them the finest, haven’t used a cell phone in over 2 years.

What does it cost to make a call from one now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

I used to public phones regularly and find them the finest, haven’t used a cell phone in over 2 years.

What does it cost to make a call from one now?

I still have a few call cards

• Advertisement

Security reasons mean that I cant bring my phone(s) everywhere with me.

Can you bring the tinfoil hat everywhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement