Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much veg would I get out of this space

Options
  • 11-02-2019 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

The raised bed is about 9 metres long x 20cm wide x 40cm high (give or take) I think it works out about 7.2 cubic metres.

I was planning on planting potatoes, onions and some garlic. Does anyone know how much I would get out of this and if it's worth growing anything here?

I took some drainpipe, drilled some holes and was going to fill the holes with potato skins and coffee grinds, and then put some tiger worms into the soil.

Is it ok to grow the veg with the tiger worms in the same bed, will they eat the veg that I'm trying to grow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Plant some climbing flowers, it will look nicer for mind and spirit ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would be pretty much wasting your time planting in that area. Mostly because it is in the rain shadow of the wall. What direction does it face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

looksee wrote: »
    You would be pretty much wasting your time planting in that area. Mostly because it is in the rain shadow of the wall. What direction does it face?

I haven't checked but it is in the shade. Is there nothing that would grow there?

rolion wrote: »
    Plant some climbing flowers, it will look nicer for mind and spirit ! :)

Any suggestions, I was thinking if veg didn't work I was going to put Jasmine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know how much water and shade a jasmine needs (but I'm sure someone here will be able to tell you). Just thinking, though: if you were to dig it out, and line it, you could turn it into a pond and grow irises, water lilies, etc. I'd say it'd be lovely.

• Advertisement

Sorry I have just realised I said 'You would be pretty much wasting your time planting in that area' - I should have said 'planting vegetables in that area', I don't know how the vital word escaped :)

There are plants that will grow in shade - anything that grows in woodland, honeysuckle for example. There are a few roses and clematis that don't mind shade, check out a listing to see which ones (new ones come along all the time). You would need to put in some strong vine eyes and wire to support whatever you are growing though, don't bother with wooden trellis, it will be decayed before the plant is grown, and if not, destroyed shortly after. I would get a selection of ferns including a few big ones (not the tree ferns). A couple of Berginias, Hellebors and maybe a bleeding heart. Chaenomeles is good in shade too and has spectacular flower colours.

looksee wrote: »
    Sorry I have just realised I said 'You would be pretty much wasting your time planting in that area' - I should have said 'planting vegetables in that area', I don't know how the vital word escaped :)

There are plants that will grow in shade - anything that grows in woodland, honeysuckle for example. There are a few roses and clematis that don't mind shade, check out a listing to see which ones (new ones come along all the time). You would need to put in some strong vine eyes and wire to support whatever you are growing though, don't bother with wooden trellis, it will be decayed before the plant is grown, and if not, destroyed shortly after. I would get a selection of ferns including a few big ones (not the tree ferns). A couple of Berginias, Hellebors and maybe a bleeding heart. Chaenomeles is good in shade too and has spectacular flower colours.

Thank you. Is there a general rule for spacing the different plants, shrubs and climbers? I have approx 10 metres in length but don't want to pack them all cheek to jowl.

Its difficult to say with a mixture of plants. However you could get maybe 4 climbers into that length. Ferns will be very forgiving, you can squash them in and get a packed effect or spread them out so you can see the graceful arch of larger ferns' fronds. Most of the flowering plants mentioned would need about 30cm (a foot) either side to let them establish. Chaenomeles is a shrub so space it like a climber, possibly put it at one end so it fills a corner. Give your climbers about 30 to 40cm around them to establish, and any shrubs at least that. You can put in a few annuals like fibrous rooted begonias or pansies to take the bare look off till it gets established.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I haven't checked but it is in the shade. Is there nothing that would grow there?

Plenty

https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/10-best-vegetable-crops-for-shade/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

Go vertical and grow lettuce etc ?

https://www.pinterest.ie/stevebrownapts/vertical-gardening/?lp=true

The cheapest, quickest most practical thing is get a few grow bags and attached them to the wall with old fishing net (freely discarded at a local boating area?) perhaps bolted in a few places or some how attached to the wall ... It may not look pretty initially but in a while it will be covered in veg

A lot of elaborate ideas everywhere about vertical gardening, keep it simple and cheap IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭worded

If its partial shade you could perhaps put a mirror behind it to increase the light?

Also, could you put a strong shelf near the top and stick some grow bags on it?
    Light would get at the top plants. You would need a ladder to harvest :-)

Some imagination needed for gardening there but anything is possible

My only other contribution to this discussion is that the trough needs another few inches of soil in it, regardless of what you plant.

Advertisement