Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir Scam

• 11-02-2019 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

My Mum got a call today from an Indian girl and man stating about viruses on her computer. 
    It was defo a scam, she downloaded and eir secure server file. They where on about viruses on the computer and broadband speed. What can be done in this situation? Can they access bank details etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Where did she download the eir secure server file from? Did the scammers tell her to download it?
    Did she engage with the scammers at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paulmc.

C__MC wrote: »
    My Mum got a call today from an Indian girl and man stating about viruses on her computer. 
    It was defo a scam, she downloaded and eir secure server file. They where on about viruses on the computer and broadband speed. What can be done in this situation? Can they access bank details etc?

Thanks
    I got a similar call saying they were from tech services, don't know where he was from but if you pushed me I'd say India. Just hung up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Into downloads and it came up on the home screen. She had to google some thing called eirsecure.ml along with holding the FN button and R--

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭C__MC

Paulmc. wrote: »

Thanks
    I got a similar call saying they were from tech services, don't know where he was from but if you pushed me I'd say India. Just hung up
    Yeah she said Indian, she eventually hung up but they have kept ringing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Thanks
    Deffo Scam, never engage with these people.

Below is a free programme, download it and run it on your computer, it will get rid of the ****, if there is anything there

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,692 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is a remote access program - hopefully she never followed thru with granting access to her computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I love when they ring. I get great craic out of them.

My last call was just last Friday. She sounded Indian.

Me: Hello
    Her: Hello my name is xxx and I am calling from the technical dept of xxx
    Me: Ok, what can I do for you?
    Her: I am calling to tell you that your internet will close down in two hours
    Me: Why?
    Her: Because you downloaded a virus.
    Me: No, I didn’t
    Her: Yes you did but you don’t realise.
    Me: Ok, what will I do?
    Her: Are you in front of your computer?
    Me: No
    Her: Tell me when you are in front of your computer
    Me: Ok

Pause for about one minute

Her: Hello
    Me: No

Me: No, I was just about to go for a ride when you rang and now I have to bring my horse back to the stable

Comment: She rang me on the land line :D:D

Me: No, I’m just removing the saddle from my horse. Please give me some time.
    Her: Yes, of course take your time. Tell me when you are in front of your computer

Me: No, I’m walking back to my house, it’s a long way. Please give me some time.
    Her: Yes, of course take your time. Tell me when you are in front of your computer

Me: No, when I got back into the house my wife said she wanted breakfast in bed, I won’t be long.

Pause for about two minutes :D:D:D:D

Me: No, my wife won’t let me out of the bedroom until I make love to her. It will only take me about ten minutes.
    Her: Sir, this is a very important call. Can you make love to your wife later.  (Comment: I kid you not :D:D

Comment: I nearly lost it at this stage.  It was taking a huge effort to stay calm
    Me: Oh no, I have to do it now. Do you want to listen?

She hung up.  I rolled around laughing :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

^^ legend!

Advertisement