Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party Games

• 11-02-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking to possible get a Switch for our company for staff. I know about Mario Kart and Party but does anyone have recommendations for other games.

They don't necessarily have to be amazing, just something that could occupy people for an hour.

The Jackbox games? Are they decent?

I do know about Google but it's entirely possible I'm missing something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Overcooked is the best team building game / reason your office was burned down by an angry mob (delete as applicable) available on Switch. It encourages communication, co-operation and stranglings like nothing else on the market. It's probably technically a deductible business expense. And also the reason your insurance premium went up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Never played Jackbox but it's apparently fun.
    Overcooked 1 & 2 and Snipperclips are obvious ones.
    Human Fall Flat, Super Sportsmatchen & Gang Beasts to a lesser extent.
    It's a single player game but When Ski Lifts To Wrong is good for a group too as people watching can say where you are going wrong.
    Smash is a big maybe compared to a Mario Kart tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

I can't imagine the joy cons lasting long. You might need to consider pro controllers or some of the cheaper 3rd party controllers..AFAIK Mario party only works with joycons, which is dumb and unnecessary.

(Edit)
    Plus a 'normal' controller might be better for casual gamers rather than a single joycons.

All pure speculation here by me :) I don't like single joycons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

conormario wrote: »
    I can't imagine the joy cons lasting long. You might need to consider pro controllers or some of the cheaper 3rd party controllers..AFAIK Mario party only works with joycons, which is dumb and unnecessary.

(Edit)
    Plus a 'normal' controller might be better for casual gamers rather than a single joycons.

All pure speculation here by me :) I don't like single joycons.

I've not played a great deal of Mario Party, but even that limited amount has made a good bit of use of motion controls in the minigames, so if it's JoyCon only it at least takes advantage of what that allows.

(I am still waiting for Landfall's Stick Fight: The Game to hit the Switch, at which point it'll be an insta-buy for me again. The Steam version is great fun - like a simple version of Smash Bros with stick men and far more vindictive level design)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Banjo wrote: »
    Overcooked is the best team building game / reason your office was burned down by an angry mob (delete as applicable) available on Switch. It encourages communication, co-operation and stranglings like nothing else on the market. It's probably technically a deductible business expense. And also the reason your insurance premium went up.

I'd second the two Overcooked games. Overcooked 2 just got its second free DLC expansion. Which is amazing cause I've been just waiting to throw money down for more levels.

Also, goddam posting on a phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I'm gonna give a shout out to 1-2 Switch. For the use you've described, it will probably provide a few laughs, and is an inclusive affair like some of the old Wii games were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

1-2 Switch would be good. I would avoid Mario Party - games are normally about an hour, and they're not fun games really. I'd actually go for New Super Mario Bros Deluxe ahead of it. That's a 4 player platformer that would probably be a good laugh in an office environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd recommend Astro Bears Party - cheap, simple, quick, frantic multi-player game ;)
    https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Astro-Bears-Party-1254188.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

chrislad wrote: »
    I would avoid Mario Party - games are normally about an hour, and they're not fun games really.

Ye they're OK games. Some better then others, but they're very short.
    There is a mini-game mode, which would be more suitable, but that only unlocks after you play some of those hour long games.

For lunch breaks with a lot of people, you're talking about short games, like mario kart, 1-2 switch, Smash, Arms, and the old favourites like Fifa. Possibly Bomberman. You could push for Fortnite since each game is only 10 mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Towerfall is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Even though I'm terrible at it, Bomberman would have to go on the list. Great party game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks all.

I think Mario Kart and Party would oddly not be good for this unless the staff have played them before.

I'll checkout your recommendations.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Daith wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I think Mario Kart and Party would oddly not be good for this unless the staff have played them before.

I'll checkout your recommendations.

I am an enormous fan of Mario Kart, but I think you're on the money there - my OH hasn't ever played much MK and says it's a lot to try and take in all at once (whereas if you've played several versions, it's much easier to get the hang of iterative changes).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Fysh wrote: »
    I am an enormous fan of Mario Kart, but I think you're on the money there - my OH hasn't ever played much MK and says it's a lot to try and take in all at once (whereas if you've played several versions, it's much easier to get the hang of iterative changes).
    With the lane assist and auto acceleration on it would be OK. Mario party would be good if just the mini games on their own rather than a full game.
    Jack box is very good but also very involved and everyone has to hook up their phones Inall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,044 ✭✭✭Daith

Thanks all. Realized the Jackbox games are on Steam too, so that's another rabbit hole I'm down.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Employ me and I'll bring in a switch everyday :P

Advertisement